Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I need help with our 1 year old cocker (cornwall trainers??)

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by candyfloss, Jul 31, 2009.

1. candyfloss

candyfloss PetForums Newbie

Adolescent dogs......who'd have em????
    Toby is the biggest pain in the neck at the moment and I don't think we're far off selling him....I need to try something new as a last ditch attempt :(
    He doesn't listen, he's jumping up and nipping again, chewing is still a major issue, he won't stay still to be stroked/brushed/looked at.....he's basically turned into a loony. We had our issues before (previous post) but things are a bit out of our control :eek:
    We need help.
    We live in Cornwall, does anyone know of any trainers that can work with us within the home??
    I am literally pulling my hair out and a feeling down about it. I'd really like someone to tell me that in 6 months time he'll be calmer (but not so sure this is the case)
    I think our biggest mistake was putting him in kennels for 5 days (3 weeks ago) when we went away (friends let us down!) He came back a complete nightmare and ravaged in fleas!!!! :mad: I think we finally have the flea's under control (3 treatments, lots of baths and a house spray later!....although if anyone has any ideas on flea treatments, i'd like to hear about that too please as this hasn't helped matters at all!)
    I'm open to any suggestions and will keep checking back to reply to any questions....i really just want the best for him and us (he's probably as miserable as we are)........boo hoo!
    Thanks

2. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

Aw sounds like a bit of a nightmare... i know someone will have the right advice for you soon.

To my uneducated ear, it sounds like he's not associating you with good things at the moment. I guess this is because he is being disciplined for his wrong doings? You need to make you be the good thing he's going to work for.

Bless him, i hope things gets sorted before it comes to selling him - will be hard to rehome a dog with issues..

3. caelsgirl

caelsgirl PetForums Junior

Have you taken him to the vet and had him checked? sounds like he could've been mistreated in the kennels, did they even give him ANY attention?:cursing:

Try some calming homapathic drops or tablets for excitable and anxious dogs.
    But I really do think you need to take him to see a vet.

Hope you find a remedy soon:)

4. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Hi i opologise in advance if i say things that have been said before as ive not read, i dont think, your previous isssues.

I have a springer at 1 year old and not had any problems (think its the calming influence of her older brother) but our other 2 went through this stage at between 9 months to a year, by all means consult a trainer, but we went right back to basics with ours right back to puppy stage and started all over again lots of 1to 1 lots of praise, treats and fussing for even the slightest hint of them doing the right thing.

What do you feed as with springers (cockers being very similar) in exuberance and zest for life, hyper tendencies :rolleyes: even the slightest hint of the wrong additives, chemicals that a lot of food have can make a huge difference just as cutting these out can make just as a huge a difference. The one we have at 1 year old has only ever had a natural diet unlike the others had and they were the ones we had some problems with.

But do look at food go back to basics lots of tasty treats only used on training like cheese, chicken not the treats you buy from pet shops brightly coloured ones these are like feeding children skittles sweets. Good luck and sorry if ime telling you what you already know, if not hope it helps, cockers are lovely dogs very loyal and do want to please so ime sure once he sees he is pleasing you he will be happy and come on a treat.

5. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

Sound's like you need To do some basic training with him. bearing in mind how matted the ear's can get you really need to get the grooming started. I started grooming my cocker and springer useing my finger's first. the cocker's 4 1/2 month's now, she no's the routine already a good run and play in the wood's. checked from top to tail then a good brush.

6. Badger's Mum

you beat me to it:D

7. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Sorry. . . . . . . . :D

8. Badger's Mum

You put it better than me:D

9. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

My answer to a dog who is behaving like this, is that he is not showing you respect. In my opinion it is because you are not communicating to your dog that you are the boss, and there are rules within the house.

If you want to know more about this, PM me. x

10. Badger's Mum

Don't normaly agree with you lately but on this one i do'ish:

11. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

My god - that's two posts now! thanks for the rep by the way on the CM thread x x:)

12. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Ah i know it sounds bad but im glad in a way i wasnt the only one that has had the same problem with my cocker. And it was aound the same age. He was a nightmare for nipping use to do figures of 8 around the house and even if we were trying to give him commands hed blank us and tear around like a loon. I went and saw a dog trainer for advice she told me to start from stratch and as hes got older hes improved sooooo much. I did also find he was a little calmer after he was neutered as the humping was a issue to. We started not leting through the doors first ,fed him last ,,stood by our commands and he wasnt allowed to get away with things as he may of when he was a pup. {he was soooo cute} my first mistake i mothered him completely and have seen now what a mistake it was. Hes now nearlly 9 and hes so much calmer and on the whole does as hes told other than the tissue eating. Some thing he will always do i think. Good luck as i know how you feel cockers can be so unrullly and im sure it was my lack of understanding and not quite sure on how about to correct my first attempts in the training. Once you are more on track im sure your come on leaps and bonds. As they are a handful but very lovely happy dogs and i wouldnt be with out mine. Good luck.

#12 sullivan, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  13. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

This is not a story which is un common, it is just people prefer to blame the dog (not directed at the OP at all), rather than seeing that they have made mistakes. I too did the same thing with my first two rescue's, I mothered them and did not give enough rules and boundries. This led to lots of problems and because they are rescue dogs, the problems were far worse than what has been described on this thread.

Great post and underlines the fact that dogs are not small children, they need rules and boundries and it is our job to always be the "leader".

x

14. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

So hard when its your first dog but you soon realise what mistakes you make as the dog grows up. When there pups you just think ahhh isnt he cute. I would not make the mistakes next time round and am pleased our Murphy is pretty well behaved now. So he wasnt so bad and i could only blame myself if i hadnt have taken action when i did. Its hard work with the first dog and some times hard to know what to do for the best this is why i love this site as theres always some one to help with advice and keep you going. x

15. candyfloss

I took toby to training classes at 12 weeks, every week for about 2.5 months (the trainer said that i'd been loaded with the info so needed to continue on my own) he was our first dog and we wanted him to be well behaved and well trained. the trainer did warn me that at adolecent stage they can forget ALL training and drive you mad (and going mad I am :eek:).
    BUT on saying that, we do realise that some of these issues are our fault and that somewhere along the line we've gone wrong...and lately I think we only see the negatives and are permanently cross :( upsetting now i think about it!
    He's learnt behaviours that I don't know how to stop or go about stopping (jumping up at the dining table after dinner and the kitchen worktop, obviously scouting for crumbs).
    Toby isn't one for treats...no kidding, i've tried them all, cheese, chicken, sausange, salami the list goes on. So i've always found training a bit harder because he's not bothered about the reward (especially 'recall' when out) :confused: Any ideas?
    The kennels he had the misfortune (we now know) of going to, breed working strain cockers reputably locally so we thought we were on to a winner. I think he was given 3x20 minute walks a day, and yes, seemingly little else attention judging by how he's been since.
    Boo, i feel a bit lost with it all tbh.

16. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

Where about sin Cornwall? The trainer I use is very good he's in Cornwall!

17. candyfloss

Just outside Truro, who and where is ur trainer?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice