Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I NEED HELP WITH MY 9 WEEK OLD FRENCHIE !!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Luke Ashley, May 26, 2017.

1. Luke Ashley

Luke Ashley PetForums Newbie

Help help help ! My 9 week old frenchie cannot be left at all, he cries barks howls and sounds like a baby when left alone. We have tried everything and I mean everything !!
    A ticking clock
    T shirts that smell of us
    A radio
    Tv on
    Pet rescue remedy
    A crate

You name it we've tried it and he just isn't settling :( ! I am exhausted please someone help.

Attached Files:

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

How long have you had him?

Have you tried leaving for 10 seconds and returning before he cries, and slowly building from there?

Sairy and MiffyMoo like this.
  3. Luke Ashley

Luke Ashley PetForums Newbie

Had him 2 weeks tomorrow ! Some days he's okay some days he isn't. He'll cry and cry and cry until we give in but we don't show any affection just tel him back to bed

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

IMO pups need to be comforted and made to feel safe when taken from their mum, siblings and everything they've known. Then gradually you can teach them to be independent and confident.

He is probably feeling very anxious and lonely. Do you have him in your room at night as that will make him feel more secure.

Leaving him to cry and cry will just add to his anxiety :(

5. Kittynanna

Kittynanna PetForums Senior

I think he left his mum a bit too early at 7 weeks.

Sorry don't have any advice....I am sure there will be others with advice.....but just wanted to say how gorgeous he is.

6. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

In what circumstance are you attempting to leave him, during the night or during the day?

Crate training is the best tool in my experience. Many people do this wrong. If you do it properly and gradually, conditioning the dog to love being in there, then I find that when the dog is happy to spend time in there amusing itself when you are INSIDE the house, this easily translates to when you are outside of the house.

7. AkiraMalamute

AkiraMalamute PetForums Junior

With my pup who I have now had for 3 weeks is good at night :)
    I originally left him in his room for 10 minutes alone then gradually increased the time.
    At night I would wait with him in his room until he fell asleep then I would quietly leave. My pup now goes to his crate when I go upstairs at night because he knows it's bedtime.

Eventually your pup will learn that it is okay to be on his own.
    If you continue to have problems bring his crate into your bedroom, like @Lurcherlad said.

If there is one word I haven't heard enough it is CONSISTENCY and routine. A good routine will help your pup settle quicker.
    (This is just my personal experience with my pup and it is working for him. I am no expert at pups as this is my first but I hope my advice can maybe help you)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice