Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I need help on Kitten and baby kitten!!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Spannermarie4444, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Spannermarie4444

Spannermarie4444 PetForums Newbie

I have a 5 month old kitten, Maggie, who has been our little baby for all thsi time and who is v spoilt!! She is so loving and follows us everywhere and always sits on our laps etc.. anyway, we have taken on a baby kitten (8 weeks) as she was abandoned.. But Maggie doesnt like the new baby and keeps biting her and getting her in a headlock and kicking her.. she is probbaly playing but the kitten is petrified and shakes.. How am I going to get them to like each other and so I can leave them alone? at the moment the baby is in the kitchen which is tiny and unfair, but I cant leave them together as Maggie might kill her! pls help x

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Okay, here's my regular advice,

As I regualarily say on here - my parents had 2 that fought like mad for 6 months !!!! And are now best buddies. And when I say fought I mean fur flying, teeth and blood.

Keep trying with the feliway diffuser too.

Give it time and patience - it will get there. These things always take time. Cats that just get on with a new stranger coming into their territory are very very few and very very weird!

Try scent transferal (i'm going to copy and paste now from another thread I answered, so forgive me . .

'I would invest in a feliway diffuser and set that going (it takes a few days to begin to work) it releases happy pheromones into the atmosphere and chills cats out, also try Bachs rescue remedy in their water. Then start scent sharing, rub all the cats with a towel - under their chins, base of the tail, their pads and rub this scent all over the house, on the walls, on the furniture etc, overlay the scents so they can all smell each other. Do this again but transfer the scent on to the other cats so they smell of each other, swap blankets over so they effectively sleep on each others scent. Keep all this going for a while and they should eventually settle, also show your (gentle) disapproval of any aggression so it isn't acceptable in the house '

Just imagine how you would feel if a stranger invaded your house and you were expected to immediately be best friends - it is very unlikley to happen! The cats need time to work out who is boss etc. A bit of hissing and bashing with a paw is all very normal and will ease off. It's just a warning and putting the kitten in it's place. I'd leave them to get on with it personally, every time you remove the kitten from the situation the elder cat believes she has chased the intruder away and therefore 'won', but the darned thing keeps coming back and so needs chasing off again! SHe is just protecting you. Get them to play together too. They may just tolerate each other and never be best friends but will accept each others company.

Hope this helps

3. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

to be honest it sounds like maggie just wants to play with her new friend but as the little one was abandoned it is frightened. i have an 8 month old kitten that does the same thing to one of my 12 week old ones but as soon as the little one yelps the big one stops then the little one tries to do the same to the bigger one. Unless maggie growls, hisses and swipes etc at the kitten then its usually playful. i know its not advice on the matter but i hope this makes you a little more at ease

4. Angelic1

Angelic1 PetForums Member

My BSH Dolly is 7 months old. I'm hoping to bring home a little kitten soon (another girl)...so this advise is really useful...thanks! :)

5. Spannermarie4444

Spannermarie4444 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the help guys.. My boyfriend has lost patience already and wants to get rid of the kitten.. but i want to try it.. the minute the kitten is put down, maggie runs for her and swipes her and jumps on her.. the kitten is just trying to hide constantly.. its hard work.. i feel sorry for maggie as she feels we ahve replaced her and we havnt! how long should I give it.. i cant leave them alone together, maggie could kill her. x

6. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Hiya sound like the older kittens is playing, thats how they play! she wont kill her! :)

Also she doesnt feel that you have replaced her, she is playing! plus that is human feelings on a cat...can you really tell she is thinking that lol!!

you have to give them time at least 3/6months to sort things out, kittens are normally easier as they haven't had a long time to get experience and learn to dislike other catlets!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice