Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I need help finding the best dog food to help my dog lose weight

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Jon Light, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Jon Light

Jon Light PetForums Newbie

Hey!

Im Posting on behalf of my parents for their dog, He is not doing so great at the moment, he has some pretty big problems with his hips at the moment and may need surgery to get a hip replacement if he continues to be in pain, I am wanting to see if any of you guys can help me find the best way to get him on a better diet.

The vet reccomended this food to help but it seems quite expensive for what it is? (i really dont know anything about pet food so maybe it is not). he reccomended Dr Hills R/D weight loss, i dont know if you guys have any experience with it.

Up until now he has been eating basic dog food.
    Rice (60%), Poultry Meal (20%), Whole Maize, Whole Peas, Poultry Oil, Seaweed Meal, Sunflower Oil, Mixed Herbs (0.2%), Extract Of Yuuca Schidigera

i shared the links so you can see the ingrediants, I like to think im pretty good with diet (for humans) i dont know if dogs require a more/specific vitamins/minerals. I would imagine he simply just needs to have a lower calorie intake than he does now to lose weight? im not sure.

About the doggy

-German shepard akita cross

-51kg

if he DOES need a hip replacement he needs to be around 40kg, also losing the weight should relieve some pain from his hip, bascically im just wanting to know if any of you can help advise what would be best to do or if there is any really good food we should be giving him. if you have anymore questions about him please ask!

Thanks in advance!:)

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

What's the statistical analysis of the food you give - there should be something on the pack listing protein percentage, carbs percentage, fat percentage etc? There look to be quite a lot of cereals in there.
    You should find a low fat food works better, and an amino acid - methionine - is supposed to increase the metabolic rate. There are diet foods that have that added.
    However, when I've wanted to get weight off my dogs I simply feed less, and bulk out their food with grated carrots (some people use finely chopped cabbage) so they feel full without the calories. And up the exercise; for your dog with hip problems, swimming burns a lot of calories without being weight-bearing. Can you find a water treadmill in your area, or a hydrotherapy pool? Your vet should know of any.

Torin. and Linda Weasel like this.
  3. Jon Light

Jon Light PetForums Newbie

Im not sure about the %'s i will have to check! i didnt even think about mixing in veg with his food though, will deffintely get them to start doing that, i think there will be some better foods out there that are lower in fat than what they have now, ill double check the %'s, as for the swimming pools im not sure, he is going back to the vets on Monday to see how he is doing where i will reccomend them to see if there is any areas nearby.

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Just give him a bit less of what he has now.

tabelmabel likes this.
  5. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Hills really isn't that great a food. Check this link:
    https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/articles/prescription-veterinary-diets.php

I also have a dog with bad hips. He's always been in the correct weight range for his breed but i like to keep him in the middle of the range and, right now, he is creeping towards the top end of it.

@Lurcherlad is right - just give less of what he eats now. It really is that simple. What is not so simple is that your parents will then have a dog that's mooching about the kitchen looking woefully sad
    Like i do!!

So - make that lower amount last longer by splitting it into kongs and bulking it up with low calorie veg.

My dog is on a kibble he likes ok but he doesn't go mad for it. So if i put down dry kibble with nothing added, he won't eat all that til he is starving hungry.

So - if it's kibble the dog is on, do not add toppers to make it more palatable. Use the kibble for treats. Don't feed additional treats.

Especially avoid cheese and peanut butter. They are high cal.

Be strict. Dogs don't like being on diets any more than humans do. Remember it is for his own good. And if he seems starving, offer a raw carrot. If he rejects it, then he isn't that hungry!

Burrowzig likes this.
  6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

If you do it gradually, he shouldn’t notice the reduced amount ime

Too sharply and he will feel hungry which will make him miserable and unsettled.

Bulk out meals with a few veg if it helps him feel full and content.

Torin. likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice