Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I need help , can't get kitten in.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by KK-Devine, Aug 25, 2019.

1. KK-Devine

KK-Devine PetForums Newbie

My 9 month old kitten escaped the 2 days ago and hasn't come home. He is hiding in a thorn bush behind a high metal fence so i cannot get to him. He is refusing to come to me and i don't know what else to do. He isn't far from home but I'm worried about him not returning home as this is the first time he's has done this. What should i do?

Update - he came out for the tuna and sardines and is now home. He's very hungry and very sleepy but he's unharmed. Thank you everyone for your suggestions

#1 KK-Devine, Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  2. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

Oh no :( What a nightmare...

He must be very scared, so talk gently to him at all times. Have you tried tempting him with his favourite foods and toys?

3. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

maybe tempt him with something smelly - like sardines ?

Do you think he climber over or could have found a gap in the fencing to get under it ? If the later that would be the best place to put the food - I suspect he wants to come home but isn't sure how to get there.

Is there any way you can get to the other side of the metal fence ? Or could you dig an 'escape' tunnel under the fence ?

4. KK-Devine

There's small holes at the bottom of the fence but only big enough to get my arm through. There's no way of getting round the fence and i can't see where it's attached to. He hasn't moved from the same spot for 2 days now but will give the smelly fish a try

5. Bertie'sMum

could you enlarge one of the holes by digging down under the fence ?

(One of my cats was once chased down my garden by a stray dog and managed to get over a very high (over 8ft) wooden fence) and the only way I could get him back was to dismantle one of the fence boards !)

6. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Tempting him out with favourite food or treats is probably your best option.
    If you try to make the hole bigger he might get scared and wriggle away. Is he in reach if you put your hand through? Could you grab him and pull him through if he is tempted near enough by the food?
    It isn't ideal but cats can fit through very small gaps. He must be very scared and hungry, poor little mite :(

7. KK-Devine

Even when getting my arm through, i wouldn't come close to him. Its a large overgrown area that's fenced off and is like 3 gardens big. I can't remove any of the fence as its the ones the council put up to stop people getting over. He hasn't come out for toys, catnip or food yet so im still trying

8. KK-Devine

I entered it by using a wooden plank to move thorns out of the way. It's on a raised area. I'll try and take a pic so yous can see on my next visit down

9. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

He can’t stay there much longer sadly this might be a case for the fire brigade. I hope you can get him out before that is necessary. Everything crossed.

lymorelynn likes this.
  10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@KK-Devine - thank you for the update. Very pleased to hear kitty is safely home, unharmed from his ordeal! What a relief for you!! x

11. Ottery

Ottery Cat Lady

Hi @KK-Devine is your cat back with you now? I wasn't quite sure what you meant in your last post - I hope he is.

12. Bertie'sMum

OP has updated his initial post to say that his kitten is now back home safe and sound :):)

lymorelynn and Ottery like this.
  13. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Thanks for that hun! Thought I had missed a post somewhere! lol

14. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Thank goodness! So pleased to hear that he is okay

15. KK-Devine

He's a little bit quiet and just wants to curl up next to me to nap. He doesn't seem to have much energy

16. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Hey may just be scared, but I would advise taking him for a vet check to make sure he hasn't been injured when he escaped.

Soozi, lymorelynn and ChaosCat like this.
  17. KK-Devine

Okays. I will do. Thank you

Soozi, Treaclesmum and lymorelynn like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice