Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

I need advice..

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by jez92, Oct 18, 2015.

1. jez92

jez92 PetForums Newbie

Hello,

I have a 2 year old pug called Poppy, we also have a male pug called Percy. Unfortunately we were slow in getting Percy's bits off (now done) and he and Poppy mated and she is confirmed pregnant. She is now 6 weeks pregnant and her health has declined. She keeps collapsing (fainting?) and has episodes where she shakes uncontrolably, she's always uncomfortable and is not a happy little lady at the moment :( the vet has taken her blood and said she had high glucose levels and a high level of white blood cells. She's now on antibiotics to treat an infection but I believe there's much more to it but I don't know what :( I've been doing some reason and found something where they have low calcium levels in their blood. Now I don't know if the vet checked that or not but I'm kind of at a loss and I don't know what to do? Help! Thanks

2. ouesi

ouesi Guest

That is very worrying :(
    Is she not improving with the antibiotics?

I think if it were me, I would discuss terminating the pregnancy with the vet. I would want their professional opinion on the risk/benefit of terminating now versus allowing her to continue and possibly get worse.

Did the vet not discuss termination when you first found out she and Percy had mated?

3. jez92

jez92 PetForums Newbie

She did disucss termination but only because pugs apparently have a higher risk of needing a c section due to having larger heads.

She's only been on the antibiotics 2 days so I don't really know if there's any improvement yet. I'm going to take her in to the vets tomorrow to see if they'll test her calcium levels and to discuss a possible termination. I would rather that that lose her. I just don't know what they'll say as she is quite far gone :/

4. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Yes, termination earlier in the pregnancy would have been much safer in the long run. Was there a reason you chose not to?
    I don't know if 6 weeks along is still safe to terminate, but if she is in as bad shape as it seems, it may be a better alternative. I really don't know. Hopefully someone more informed will come along with some advice....

Wiz201, Lurcherlad and SingingWhippet like this.
  5. jez92

jez92 PetForums Newbie

We didn't terminate as we disnt really see a reason to at the time. The vet scanned her and the puppies had heart beats and she said all was perfectly fine so it felt wrong to terminate for no reason (or so we thought)

6. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Do you have a plan for the puppies?

7. jez92

jez92 PetForums Newbie

Friends and family will be having them and the rest will go to new homes. Id love to be able to keep them in an ideal world

8. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

... So.... The fact that 14 dogs A DAY are PTS for no other reason than because nobody wants them .... That's not a reason to terminate?

Get your tin hat on ... You're going to need it!

Oh. And if it were my bitch that was in poor health because of a mistake I made and needed.advice for, I'd be speaking to the emergency vet - not joining a forum to ask a bunch of strangers their opinions.

Just saying.

9. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear about your girl :( Had you had any health tests done before she fell pregnant? Could be the pregnancy is aggravating an underlying condition. Pregnancy puts alot of pressure on a bitch physically, hence why its paramount to keep a bitch in top condition throughout her pregnancy to help minimize the stresses and strains of pregnancy. I'd defintley be pursuing this further with your vet.

10. jez92

jez92 PetForums Newbie

Every single one of those puppies will have a home and are very much wanted. I have spoken to the emergency vet today actually and they have advised to keep an eye on her and I have made the decision to take her in tomorrow. So thank you for your very 'useful' opinion but seeing as it has made zero impact and hasn't helped in the slightest. Please go away.

Blitz likes this.
  11. jez92

jez92 PetForums Newbie

She had a health check when we first bought her back in April, but that isn't to say it hasn't aggravated something, like you say. I'm just worried as the get doesn't seem too concerned and I've been to the vets 3 times in the last 2 weeks with concerns. Will be going back tomorrow as it's obviously causing some kind of stress :(

12. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

You've allowed your dog to become pregnant, obviously with no health TESTS carried out (health checks is completely different), got to 6 weeks along, and now expect advice from a bunch of strangers...

If you thought MY comment was unhelpful, just wait until the passionate experts see this thread.

Like I said, you'll need that tin hat.

You might have started this thread, but you don't own it, so .... No! I won't go away. I have as much right as you to post.

Lurcherlad, lostbear and lisa0307 like this.
  13. jez92

jez92 PetForums Newbie

What's wrong with asking for advice from others who have bred? I am getting vet advice, that doesn't mean I can't in the mean time ask for above from others.

14. SingingWhippet

SingingWhippet PetForums VIP

Is she just 6 weeks post mating or nearly 7 weeks? She might still be within the timeframe during which the mismate injection can be used to terminate a pregnancy. I'm shocked that, given your bitch's deteriorating health and the fact this wasn't a planned mating, your vet hasn't mentioned it. It can be given up to 45 days post mating and if she's still within that range then this may well be the best thing for your bitch.

Wiz201, Lurcherlad, lostbear and 3 others like this.
  15. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

The symptoms she's having are not what you would expect as part of her pregnancy. I certainly never had a bitch do this and I never knew anyone else's bitch to either.

As Ouesi said, this is worrying. Even with an infection, you wouldn't expect her to keep passing out.

Did your vet check her heart?

It is true that many Pugs, probably most, need C Sections. I would speak to your Vet about that and discuss with him whether it's too late to terminate if the pregnancy is posing a real risk to her health.

16. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Just so you know, family members who start out very eager to take on a cute pup may have a complete change of heart when the reality of pet ownership sinks in.
    In other words, I wouldn't count on family members coming through as far as homes go.

Health tests and health check are not the same thing. Did she have an EKG done by a certified cardiologist. I know pugs can have heart issues and pregnancy is very straining on the heart.

That she's passing out with still 3 more weeks to go (is my math right?) would be really concerning to me.
    I'm really struggling to understand what kind of conversation went on with you and your vet that you did not think to terminate the pregnancy sooner rather than later.
    You know she's probably going to have to have a c-section which is hard enough on a bitch, then the possibility that the pregnancy really messes up her health to the point that she can't raise the litter herself. Are you prepared to bottle feed a whole litter, nurse your bitch back to health, which will have to include taking time off work for weeks? Are you prepared to possibly lose your bitch and then have to raise this litter? Do you have any experience whelping a litter?

I know all of this is awful to think about, but you really have to be realistic here. As hard as it is, I think I would be having a very serious talk with my vet (or another one) about terminating this pregnancy and seeing what you can do about the health of your bitch.

17. lisa0307

lisa0307 PetForums VIP

Just out of interest, if the mum keeps passing out can that be bad for the pups ie. can they be still born?

18. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I'm not sure, but I wouldn't have thought so.

As long as Mum's heart continues to beat during these episodes, the pups shouldn't be affected.

The passing out is a concern though. I wonder if it's connected to heart function and I would be having a very detailed discussion with the vet.

Lurcherlad and lisa0307 like this.
  19. Born to Boogie

Born to Boogie PetForums VIP

Poor little girl.
    Nothing helpful to add.

20. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

I haven't got any advice either at this stage that hasn't already been offered - except that if anyone else reads this, whose dog has had an "accidental" mating, I hope that they will go for the mismate jab or surgical termination rather than risk their bitch like this.

As OP wasn't intending a litter (I assume) the bitch obviously wasn't thoroughly checked to ensure that she could/should have a litter - and maybe the dog Percy wasn't the right dog for her anyway. Have to admit I could be talking through my hat here because I know nothing about genetics or breeding - but maybe there is something in the puppies' physical make-up which is causing them to draw excessive amounts of certain nutrients/minerals from the bitch's system. (As I say - probably talking rubbish . . .) Whatever - I would be desperately worried about my bitch if this was happening to her.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice