Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I need advice regarding cat ownership.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by catlover2828, Apr 14, 2020.

1. catlover2828

catlover2828 PetForums Newbie

We had been put in temporary accommodation and my cousin had been taking care of our cat in the meantime. We still paid for food and all of that. Only for me to discover that this cousin of mine, had given the cat to their neighbour, without our permission, who now won’t return our cat unless we pay them back for all of the vet bills they’ve paid. Which is understandable but we don’t have the money at the moment and I’m unaware of how long the cat has been with her. I was trying to get some information from my mum. But i’m too young to do anything about the situation, I can’t even work yet but I want to help. Obviously there isn’t much we can do know because of the virus, which is unfortunate. Our cat is microchipped and I just wanted to know where we stood legally. I understand we are at fault too.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @catlover2828 and welcome :)

Where you stand legally is that the cat is still yours as your cousin had no authority to give your cat away to her neighbour without your agreement.

Also the neighbour cannot legally hold your cat to ransom by refusing to give her back until you have paid her back for the vet bills. But if the new "owner" paid out money in good faith, believing the cat to be hers by right, and the cat needed vet treatment, then I feel your family would owe her the money morally, even if not legally. But I appreciate you could not afford to pay it back straight away, so this should not stop you having your cat back.

To get your cat back your mother may need to take the new "owner" to the Small Claims Court after the current lock down is ended. But the case may take up to a year to come to court, and the court may feel after so long it would not be right to remove the cat from her new owner, if she has settled. If the new owner had been aware the cat had been stolen from you it would be different. I am not saying you would not get the cat back through the court, you might do. But it might be quite a long wait.

3. catlover2828

Thank you so much!

4. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

I wonder if someone could mediate in this situation?

Why was the cat given away by your cousin?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. catlover2828

I’m not entirely sure. My mum said that my cousin told her the cat kept going to their garden or something like that? That’s a stupid excuse to give someone else’s cat away though.

6. cheekyscrip

I don’t know how old you are and whether your mum wants the cat back or if willing to pay any future vet bills.

Do you know where your cat is living now?

Why the cat was with your cousin- must have been a while I can imagine.

Also what is the best for the cat?
    Vet bills can be hefty too, not only I believe that if my pet incurred costs to anyone I would have to pay them back but if I could not pay it back I would think what if I had to pay any further bills if I got the cat back?

I have a cat that needs vet care few times a year and medication, the costs are significant. By the way what kind of vet bills? The usual vaccination and check up or the cat was unwell

Most of all try to find out if your cat is looked after well and how his new family feels about the situation.

They did nothing wrong so try to be as nice as possible.

Lurcherlad and chillminx like this.
  7. catlover2828

I believe the cat is living around the same area my cousin lives which is not very far. I brought up the issue again and my step dad said he will contact the lady about the situation and see how things are with the cat and to see if he is happy there and well looked after and what not.

Lurcherlad, cheekyscrip and chillminx like this.
  8. catlover2828

Also i’m not sure what type of vet bills, hopefully I can find out.

cheekyscrip likes this.
  9. cheekyscrip

Just wishing you and your cat the best luck.
    I hope you will be able to find out the way to contact the people who look after your cat - phone etc...

10. catlover2828

thank you!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice