Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I need advice on new puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nellybelly, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I know all puppies chew and this is more than normal. It is not a behaviour to be discouraged but to be directed at the corect objects. My puppy has all sorts of chews and toys so she is not lacking any of these items, and I am quite successful at diverging her chewing to appropriate items. However, I have not left her home alone yet, and I do not ever intend to use a crate or to confine her. We were very lucky and our previous dog always had the run of the entire house - the most he would do is bury one of toys in our beds hehe.

Back to the point, I don't intend to leave my puppy alone for more than 3-4 max at a time in the long run, and we will build up to this slowly, but I fear that confining her is the only solution, as she could chew something that is dangerous to her, apart from of course destroying the house. Our house is open plan but I made arrangements to shut off the kitchen/living room area from the rest of the house and close her in there as this is where we spned most of our time anyway and she is used it (with all her toys, basket, food, water etc). But this arrangement is only for a puppy. I cannot stand the thought of always have to confine my dog when there is noone home!

The issue is that my puppy is half lab and I think this makes her much more compuslive at chewing than most other dogs, and this really shows even from 8 weeks. She chews as a means of exploring, not only for her teeth. I know this as she can be chewing one chew, and will then switch to every toy/chew ina row before proceeding to the furniture/shoes at which point I have to diverge her attention back to her toys. As for the garden, she eats all the different flowers and I am worried some of these may be poisonous. I realise, like I have said, thata ll puppies chew, but she really seems to have this tendency to an exaggerated degree. With hwer being half retiriever, should I expect this to be an ongoing problem into adulthood which will mean I will never be able to leave her at home without confining her?? (because of course it is my responsibility to keep her from chewing inappropriate items and not hers!)

I would really appreciate an honest answer. Thanks

2. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

If you're really worried about her chewing things I would crate her/confine her to one area. She will grow out of it she's only a puppy and they chew like crazy at this point

3. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Ok, just got a bit worried this would end up being permanent as I looked up retrievers online and these breeds are renowned for chewing issues which they do not outgrow. And like I have said, I do not like teh idea of confining a puppy, let alone making this permanent with an adult dog.

4. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

All puppies chew, but labradours do chew alot more, my mate years ago had a lab puppy and it chewed until it was a year old, he chewed her new boots, shoes, table legs, and anything else in it's way. Crate's werent around in them days, but now they are I think you should get a crate for its size and put it in there, as you say you only do it for max of 4 hours, put toys inside for it to play and chew on, at least you know it wont chew anything dangerous and things its not suposed to. Retreivers chase and retreive and mouth what they catch, so that is what the breed do, so you have a mix of two. Have you tired to make a part of your garden just for the dog, fill it with sand and bury a bone and toy and let it find it, they love retreiving things, fun watching it do this aswell. But in the house yes I would crate it for that short period of time. At least you know it is safe when you are not around, xxxx

5. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Thanks for replying everyone. Looks like this is not only ana ge thing but also a breed thing. I hate the idea of crates even though I do understand their advantages if used properly, but looks like this might be my only choice when we are not at home:( How likely is it that my dog will not outgrow this behaviour? It is not safe to leave a dog outdoors where we leave as there are people who put poison into people's garden (makes me sick), so she will always have to be inside when we are not home, and I just feel plain awful having to ahve her in a cage at all....if this is not only a puppy thing it's gonna be really hard for me. I need honest answers please.

6. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

My dad has a lab. She was confined to a large part of the 'dogs room' with a room divider, where she had her bed, bowls, toys etc.
    She did grow out of the chewing, once teething was done with! My dad was very careful not to give her all her toys and chews at once, but rotate so she only had a few, and every other day would swap them over, so it seemed she always had new exiting toys to play/chew.

If you feel awful about the crate, then get a pen, they are bigger. But most users here will agree crating is far quicker and easier for training, especially toilet training :)

x

7. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I like the idea of anything that is not a crate. Could you please tell me more about what you mean by "pen". And thanks for the suggestions

8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

you could pen or partition her off in a small part of the room but there is always a risk that she would climb out so I would think a large cage would be more secure. They soon get used to being in one and go to sleep when left. My pup is 5 months and still sleeps in one and we have never had an accident at night plus no worry of anything getting chewed. She is in the utility room if I go out in the day so there is nothing she can damage, if she had to be in the house she would still be caged/crated.

9. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

My dogs all still sleep in crates at 5, 4, 3 and 2. They love it go sleep in there during the day on their own. Dogs don't mind being in crates.

10. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

i didnt like crates much and have only been using one for 3 weeks

I hate to get one because day after day of coming home to zeb emptying the bin and pulling down the curtain on the door was making me resent him slightly i was fed up of cleaning it up and replacing the hooky things on the curtains everyday

now i know hes safe i know when i get home im going to shower him with kisses and cuddles for being a good boy in his crate rather then telling him off and being cross with him when he doesnt understand why im cross!

I brought a huge one for under £50 it is massive zeb has loads of room in it, i dont feel bad at all now as its lovely and big!!

11. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Honest answer - I would get her a crate. Labs are notorious chewers and it is for her safety as much as to protect your house and things.

Dogs tend to love their crates is introduced properly - it's their little 'den' and provided she's not left in it too long, then this really is the best solution and not cruel at all.

12. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

oh we had a puppy pen and if the pup is a largish pun she/he will climb over it

we had it for 3 days before zeb climbed over the top and was gone lol yes it was nice as he had room e.t.c but he never stayed in it little spider puppy he was!!

13. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

my dogs are small breeds and have the run of my house downstairs except for the living room. But if I had a lab then I would defo get a crate, it is there little hideaway, and their sleep place which they usually go into by themselves once they get used to it, keep toys down and rotate them so he thinks he is getting new ones all the time, and give it a hugehard marrow bone from the butchers they will know what type to give you, once his teeth are all through it shouldnt be so much of a problem but they do still chew. Section part of your garden off close to the house and away from the area that these nasty people do this horrible thing with the poison, but make sure he cant get to that part of th garden, that way he is outside but no where near the area they do this. Keep check of the garden in case they put some in your garden. HOPE THEY DONT. They are loveable dogs mind, and love to chase and retreive things. Make a square part of the garden as his and put in some play sand and bury some toys and bones, he will love to "find" them. xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice