Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

I need advice on dog training

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Jemmabean23, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Jemmabean23

Jemmabean23 PetForums Newbie

hi I have a 6 month old American bulldog mix rochweller and he’s a good dog but seems to be districtive eating my skirting boards tearing my sofa and damaged household items me and my partner have got to a end and I don’t want him to go away as I love him my dog is the friendliest most lodging being but his behaviour is unacceptable can anyone recommend anything to help please I’m desperate

2. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

One issue you have is age. The adult teeth are settling in the jaw, so they have an overwhelming need to chew. You need to provide lots of outlets for this; bones, chews, frozen interactive toys etc. You also need to manage his environment better and try and not give him the opportunity to be destructive. When is he chewing the skirting boards? how is he chewing the sofa? if he can't be watched then he needs to be contained; utilise crates, babygates, x-pens etc.

It's also important to make sure he's getting enough stimulation - hopefully you walk him, play, train etc?

3. Jemmabean23

Thank you so much I walk him regularly but he chews the furniture wen we are in bed and I get up to mess I see them dog pens are they worth a try

4. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Have him in your bedroom if it's an option?

If he has never been in a crate then you will need to take the time to acclimatise him to one over a period of a couple of weeks. I'd favour that over a pen as finding an open top pen to secure what I presume is a rather large 6 month old will be a mission.

5. Jemmabean23

I’m literally stuck for options and he’s wines for attention and stuff I don’t want to give him away as I love him but me and my partner don’t know what else to do

6. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Does he have suitable items to chew on?
    A pup his age needs to chew (as already mentioned), old tea towels put in the freezer for a few hours can help to sooth his gums (it can be quite painful when the adult teeth are settling).

What do you do with him training wise?
    Have you signed him up for a training class?

7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Try some of the suggestions people have made and look at positively.com and Kikopup for more tips.

There is no "quick fix" so you will need to set him up for success with some good chew toys, etc. and be consistent and positive in his training. Make sure his room is warm enough, maybe leave a radio on low, lower the blinds to reduce outside stimuli, etc.

It could be that he is bored but also possibly anxious at being alone, so I would try having his bed in your room and see if he settles.

How long is he left during the day? What sort of training do you do with him?

Crates need to be large enough for the dog to stand upright, stretch out fully and turn around - all comfortably. They also have to be introduced very carefully so the dog sees it as his den and loves to be in there otherwise it will cause anxiety and more problems than it solves.

At 6 months old he is still a puppy and needs to be trained and guided into becoming a well behaved, happy and settled dog so I'm surprised you're even considering giving him away tbh :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice