Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I need a quick answer

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Icky, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Icky

Icky PetForums Junior

Hey

quick post.
    I recently posted a thread about trying to introduce my hairless and Rex males.

Today I put them together at 5:30, they was fine then had a two secon scrap at 6:15.

I then added toys one at a time (one per hour)

they are still together now and have been for 5 hours and seem to be fine.

So my question ; can/should I leave them over night?

I didn't want to take them apart then having introduction issues tomorrow

I only had minor fighting previously and have been introducing them over 3 days now

2. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

As you had a lil fight today I wouldn't leave them together over night yet tbh.
    I would wait until you have 2 or 3 meetings with no fights at all before trusting them over night :eek:

It doesn't take long for things to go pear shaped really and sods law it will happen when you are asleep :blink:

3. Icky

Icky PetForums Junior

Ok thanks took em out.

You recon I'll have to take the toys out and start over eAch time I split them up or not?? X x

4. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Yes I would, I normally leave toys out of the equation until until they have been together for a few nights then add toys over time.

5. Snippet

Snippet PetForums VIP

My way of going about intros is to start in a bare cage with 2 water bottles and feed scattered over the substrate. When they're prooved they can be left like that for 24 hours I add something like a shelf. Again I leave them for 24 hours and if there are no fights I add something else. I go on like this untill I'm happy that everyone can live in a fully furnished cage without killing each other. When they're reached this point I start doing full clean outs and adding in all their toys.

6. ceretrea

ceretrea PetForums Senior

Agree with above, bare cage is essential til they have been together at least two nights.

7. spoiled_rat

spoiled_rat PetForums Senior

I am so glad when reading points and rules like this, that I breed the daftest/silliest/stupidest/least intelligent rats ever...intros = put them in the cage, lots of sniffing, and thats it :001_smile:

I am so out of practice with intros!

8. ceretrea

Its a guide. Each rat is different. If I feel mine are getting on I speed it on, or slow it down if its not going so well.

Unfortunately I've had to do some rather difficult intros so I'm coming from the other angle. Would love rats that would just go in together.

9. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

I wish the bonds I have done went that smoothly :eek:

10. Icky

Icky PetForums Junior

Thanks for all the comments guys.

They have been together since 10am this morning (still together now)

they aint fighting or anything pretty much just staying clear of each other. Recon i should give em ago 2night or wait again?

(no fights today at all)

11. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

If there hasn't been any fights I would be tempted to leave them overnight to see how they go but I would probably have them close or get up through the night to check on them just in case. But then I worry about everything :lol::lol:

12. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I would also leave them tonight but I would put the cage in my bedroom, they tend to yell when they are scared so you should hear any naughty behaviour.

13. Snippet

Snippet PetForums VIP

I'd also leave them together this evening. I wouldn't get too worried about a bit of fighting as they'll still be figuring out who's top dog. Of course if there is serious fighting then they should be split up.

14. ceretrea

How did they do?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice