Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I need a dog!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by McKayz86, May 14, 2017.

1. McKayz86

McKayz86 PetForums Junior

My mum has had a knee replacement op and we moved in for a week to help her out. She's got 2 dogs which I've been walking, feeding etc.

Now we are home I really miss them, even when they were just lying down snoozing.

It's definitely made me realise that we really do need to decide on a breed and start looking.

How do they make you feel just so happy?

suewhite likes this.
  2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Good feeling isn't it?

Have you thought about a rescue dog?

kimthecat and suewhite like this.
  3. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I waited years for my first dog but when I got him it was the best day of my life!!! :D

Calvine likes this.
  4. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

*fingers itching to post all the mud caked, poo rolling, mess making, human injury and bed stealing photos*

LinznMilly, Cleo38, kimthecat and 3 others like this.
  5. spamvicious

spamvicious PetForums Senior

Or a puppy that refuses to go to the toilet and is hanging off your trousers by her teeth :Banghead

I hope you can get a dog though :)

#5 spamvicious, May 14, 2017
    Last edited: May 14, 2017
  6. McKayz86

We have thought about rescue but we have 3 children and I am a bit worried about not really knowing the dogs history.

7. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

Rescues do have pups - that's where I found mine.

8. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Many rescues use foster homes now, some with children, and the dogs are assessed much more rigorously

Calvine, Cleo38 and kimthecat like this.
  9. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I personally would go with a good rescue with children...puppy teeth and children can over excite them at the best of times..

Good rescues evaluate the dogs and can find your perfect match...if you go with your eyes wide open. It worked for me and mine.

@Lurcherlad got exactly what she wanted when she went to a rescue...well maybe not the small dog she imagined but Jack is definitely her perfect match! In my opinion anyway!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  10. Laney_Lemons

Laney_Lemons PetForums Senior

I got my pup from the dogs trust, he was 5-6months and no real history. He's a massive pain in the ass but he has the best and sweetest nature, I have yet to hear his growl :)he is the absolute perfect dogs for us.

Don't rule out rescue :D its very rewarding

Lurcherlad likes this.
  11. McKayz86

I'll keep looking at rescues and will try to persuade my husband that a rescue will be ok.

12. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

If you do decide to go to a rescue then make sure you choose a reputable one that assess their dogs thoroughly (ask about how/where they do this, etc). Also ask about any back up support they provide in case of issues, etc.

Toby was my first dog & he was from a rescue & he was the best first dog I ever could have had. He was a lovely, friendly, happy boy & i never had any real problems with him, he fitted in so well.

I realise that not all dogs do but then not all dogs in rescues have 'issues' some just find themselves in unlucky situations

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice