Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

i need a bit of help :)

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by bexy1989, Jul 13, 2009.

1. bexy1989

bexy1989 PetForums VIP

im going to view a horse on friday, shes a 6 y/o iron grey tb mare.

i've been told she is really nice and quiet in walk and trot but she hasn't really had much done with her canter.

when she goes into canter she will do a little buck but then she is fine but she is very unbalanced when cantering. If she jumps and she lands in canter then she is fine and wont buck at all.

If i do decide i like her i was going to lunge her for a couple of weeks to sort out her canter first without tack and then with either a saddle or a roller on. Then slowly move on the cantering her with someone on her back.

Is this the right thing to do?

Attached Files:

2. reddyrufus

reddyrufus PetForums Member

Hi,

She looks lovely on the pictures, a very kind face. Does she buck every time she is asked to canter? Is it on a bend or straight line and does she buck after every jump? Sorry for all the questions i'm just trying to get a good idea:)
    Do you know much about her background and what work she has had?
    Is she fine in any every other way? I'd ask them wether she has had her back, teeth and saddle checked, she may be doing it due to discomfort.
    It may just be that she is very green. Have you got a instructor or anyone you could take with you? You could run your fingers down her spine to see if she shows discomfort.
    It's really hard to say without knowing more about her, but her back and saddle may need checking.
    I'd possibly get her vetted too.

I bet your really excited, she does look lovely, she looks like a baby.:)

3. bexy1989

bexy1989 PetForums VIP

all i really know about her background is that she was previously owned by a teenager :)

my mum is going to come with me as she has a fair amount of horse knowledge :).

As far as im aware its only when she is asked to go into canter that she bucks and she isn't bucking after she jumps. We are deff going to get her vetted.
    I'm not to sure if its on a straight or bend as the owner has said she hasn't got a proper school its just a grass field =/

i am really excited haha i've waited for this for so long :)

4. reddyrufus

reddyrufus PetForums Member

Well good luck and update me how you get on. She's very pretty :)

Definitely a good idea having her vetted, it just eliminates any problems then you know what you have got to work on. It might be worth asking to see her on the lunge to see if she bucks on the lunge. It sounds as though she may just be very green :)

Have fun!:)

5. bexy1989

bexy1989 PetForums VIP

:) i will do :)

thank you i will deff do that :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice