Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I Need A Bit Of Hand Holding Please...

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by PetsBestBuddy, Apr 10, 2017.

1. PetsBestBuddy

PetsBestBuddy PetForums Member

My beautiful Missy is going in for surgery tomorrow morning :(

At the end of last week, I noticed that Missy had developed a pot belly, that she was drinking an awful lot and was peeing for Scotland. I rang my vet and described the above symptoms and my vet said she suspects it could be cushings disease and we booked her in for tests.
    Our appointment at the vets was this morning.
    After leaving Missy at the vets, I received a phone call at lunch time to let me know that all of her tests were clear. She was tested for cushings, diabetes, thyroid function and full blood work. Her heart, lungs, kidney function etc were all normal but one of her liver enzymes was very high. The vet recommended having a scan done as the tests already done didn't point to anything, so Missy stayed there to be sedated for a scan.
    The vet called me again just before 3pm with bad news...my beautiful 14 year old girl has a large tumour on her spleen.
    My options were either PTS or surgery to remove the tumour and her spleen, so after discussing everything fully, we agreed to go ahead with the surgery.
    Missy is still very active, cheeky and full of life despite her age. She has arthritis in one hind leg and has cataracts, but she still lives life to the full. If she was struggling in any way, I'd have let her go.
    There's a chance I could lose her during surgery though, but the vet will call if there are any problems and if it comes to that, we will let her slip away while she's under anaesthetic.
    She's at home tonight to be loved and spoiled before tomorrow, but after 12 amazing years together, these could be the last few hours we have together :(

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Poor girl. I hope her surgery tomorrow is successful.

PetsBestBuddy likes this.
  3. loganberry

loganberry PetForums Member

Good luck for your girl tomorrow. I lost my lad last yr to splenic cancer, he was just a bit off so I took him to the vet, she felt his abdomen and thought his spleen was enlarged so we scanned him the next day and operated the same day to remove his spleen. Spleen was very enlarged and there was some spread outside of the spleen that could not be safely removed so a Satsuma sized tumour was left. I lost him 3 weeks and 3 days later. For those 3 weeks my handsome lad was so poorly. I vowed I would never put another dog through it. My lad had a histiocytic sarcoma and was not quite 11 yrs old. Hope you have a better outcome x

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Not great news, but fingers crossed she pulls through surgery and can get back to normal quickly.

Difficult not to worry, of course :(

Take care x

5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Good luck for tomorrow and her recovery.

6. PetsBestBuddy

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling quite numb just now as it's only just over a year since I lost my Mum to cancer.
    @loganberry I'm sorry to hear about your lad, (((((HUGS)))))

7. PetsBestBuddy

Missy's scan was very clear when the vet showed it to me. Her tumour appears to be just on her spleen with none of the surrounding organs appearing to be affected. The vet won't know for definite how bad it really is until they open her up tomorrow. If its worse than what shows on the scan, I'll let my old girl go while she's under anaesthetic.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. loganberry

Thank you. I pray you have better luck than my lad did. The small tumour grew to fill his abdomen and bless him even though he was so poorly and on his last night had started collapsing he still tried his best. I gave him sleep at home the next day and miss him dreadfully. He was an amazing dog who stole my heart at 3 weeks old and I will love him always and forever. xx

9. loganberry

Not all splenic tumours are nasty and Missy could be one of the lucky ones. xx

rona, PetsBestBuddy and Lurcherlad like this.
  10. WillowT

WillowT PetForums VIP

Will be thinking of you tomorrow xx

11. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

How worrying for you. Will be thinking of you and keeping everything crossed for a successful outcome to the surgery.

12. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

Just thought you could use a little bit of positivity.. Our vet receptionists elderly Collie just had her spleen removed a few days ago. Apparently she's doing fantastically well already, and they expect a full recovery, despite numerous other health problems she has.
    Will be thinking of you tomorrow and keeping my fingers crossed you'll have some good news.

13. PetsBestBuddy

Thank you everyone for your support. My beautiful wee girl is home now and surprised everyone at the vets by how well she coped with the GA and her surgery. The vet who did the surgery very kindly dropped Missy off here while on her way home.
    The surgery went on for a bit longer than the vet anticipated because as well as removing the tumour and her spleen, the vet had a good look around all of her other organs to see if there were any more tumours. The one she had removed was the only one. The vet has sent the tumour off to be tested, to find out whether its benign or malignant.
    She has to wear a cone of shame for the next 2 weeks and is to go for a post op check up in 2 - 3 days. She has a week's course of antibiotics - Synulox - 1.5 250mg palatable tablets twice daily, and has a month's supply of hepatic support tablets - Denamarin - 1 tablet daily. The vet had a good look at Missy's liver during surgery and although it looked and felt perfectly normal, one of her liver enzymes is high. She might go onto a vet prescribed liver support diet once she has recovered from her surgery.
    She still looks a bit groggy from the GA and must be very sore, but she's still trying hard to be her normal cheeky self :D

Michebe, rona, Lurcherlad and 3 others like this.
  14. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Only just seen your post and really pleased all went well and you have your Missy home.

I assume Denamarin contains milk thistle extract (silymarin). My collie bitch had milk thistle extract because her liver enzymes were off the richter scale and lived for another very happy two years.

Wishing you and Missy all the best.

leashedForLife and PetsBestBuddy like this.
  15. PetsBestBuddy

Thanks @Twiggy Yes, I just checked the packaging for the Denamarin (manufactured by Protexin veterinary) and it does contain Silybin phytosome (Milk thistle extract/Phosphatidylcholine complex). It also contains Mannitol. It says on the packaging that it is high level nutritional support for the liver. Each tablet contains S-adenosylmethionene (SAMe) 425mg and Silybin 35mg. Her dosage is 1 tablet daily and is to be given on an empty stomach or at least 1 hour before a meal.
    She has eaten a few small pieces of chicken breast since my last post, has had a small drink of water and has been outside to pee. She isn't getting on very well with the cone of shame though. She is crated at the moment so that she doesn't try to move around too much or try to jump onto the furniture, and also to protect her from being jumped on or bumped into by my almost 2 year old (21 months) boisterous Staffie x Lab, Maya. I'm going to buy her a protective medical shirt to use instead of the cone. When she's out of the crate, she just stands there rooted to the spot and if she has it on while in her crate, she keeps getting stuck when she tries to turn around. She does have cataracts in both eyes so I think she struggles to see the cone and judge the distance between her and the furniture, walls, the sides of the crate. I've taken the cone off for a wee while while I'm here to supervise her and she is snoring her wee head off. The cone will have to go back on overnight though.

rona, Lurcherlad and leashedForLife like this.
  16. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Just for your information denamarin, is cheaper to buy online, if its recommended in the longer term. My own dog used it!

Also if your happy with the prescription diet that's fine, but Burns I know for a fact is a great alternative for the prescription diet for liver problems in dogs, and may work out cheaper. Chat with your vet though see if its ok.

I have been lurking on this thread and I am so pleased the operation went well.

Oh no need for a medical t shirt...an old t shirt, Childs vest anything that can fit basically will do!

PetsBestBuddy and Lurcherlad like this.
  17. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Good news! :)

Hopefully, the results come back with equally good news and the prognosis is positive.

Hope she bounces back well :)

18. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Glad to hear your girl got through the operation so well. Fingers crossed for the biopsy report

19. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Glad it went well. My old dog doesn't cope at all with a cone on either.

20. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Hope your beautiful girl recovers well and will be OK

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice