Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

i must be doing soething wrong.. advise please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lizzyboo, Jun 1, 2010.

1. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

helloooooooooooooo :):)

im back again with the same problem!

as some of you know, i have had an absolute nightmare with radley in swapping his food over (wish id never bothered trying now) i sent off for some vitalin samples a couple of weeks ago and radley loved them. previous to this id tried him on wainwrights and his poos were just disgusting and slimed! took advise of the vet, rice etc and weaned him back onto wainwrights and the same thing happened again so i figured it was the food making his pos yucky, thats when sent off for the vitalin.

anyway seeing as the vitalin seemed to agree with radders belly, i sent off for a 15kg bag of it which came the day after, i was proper impressed :thumbup:

BUT............... guess what??? after nearly a week on the stuff i am back to square one!!!!!!!!!!!!!! only this time his poo isnt slimed!!!! but it is chocolate mousse consistancy. phoned the vet again who said pups can get runny poo's form swapping food over so to feed him rice for a week and then feed him rice and kibble and slowly re-introduce the vitalin.

is this the right thing to do or should i just put him back on what he was on right at the beginning even though i really dont want to? i really am struggling now!

2. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Does he firm up on rice and fish or chicken and rice? If not have your vets not thought of testing a sample of his feaces just to eliminate things like gut infestations..... giardia or campylobactor are 2 that are very common in puppies!?

I only ask as Logan had all this trouble as a pup and turned out that he had campylobactor!!! :eek: :scared:

Has he been wormed recently too as worms can sometimes make them loose?

If he does firm up on rice then it shows that it is the food, i feed royal canin babydog as it has pro-biotics in it which help the tummies natural bacteria and keeps them firm, my pup Blade is doing very well on it.

I think i would do the rice and fish/chicken for a week then see if he is still loose and if so request that your vets do a test on his poop!

Hope he gets on ok and you get him sorted out, i know what a nightmare it can be! :eek:

3. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

hi matrix.......... he was wormed about 2 weeks ago when he had his final injections so i dont think it could be worms.. he is due again in 2 weeks.

he did firm up on the rice last time and we have had a week of solid poop before i tried him on the vitalin.

i think i will go down the rice and fish route again and see what happens. the vet did say last time that he may take a sample but because he firmed up, there was no need to take him back.

i wonder if it is the food, whether vitalin will take the bag back?

4. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

Yeh I agree something bland like rice and chicken until hes more solid :)

5. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

thanks flufffluff..... i am a little worried he isnt going to be able to tolerate anything but what he was on originally.... seeing as its not the best food to be feeding him (pedigree)

6. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

If he is OK with rice and fish i would maybe try Chappie (tinned meat available from tesco).

Oscar had colitis when he was a pup and after switching foods about i am fairly sure now that Oscar has a low tolerance of chicken.

Chappie may not be "all singing all dancing" but it is a very basic fish based dog food and is renouned for being great for sensitive sums. It does not appear to contain all the rubbish some foods contain it's just very basic ingredients.

If i was you i would get him on just Fish and rice then gradually introduce the Chappie, just a tablespoon in a kong to start with. :)

I was sceptical at first about Chappie as it is considered a slighly "inferior" food but i have no issues with Oscars tum now and also he totally ADORES it and will practically turn sumersaults wheras before he turned his nose up at most dry,

I have got to a point now where he has some JWB dry Turkey and Rice for breakfast and the Chappie for tea and he seems fine :)

7. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

I find all this drama over feeds abit silly to be honest. If your dog went well on Pedigree then why not keep him on it? Ok it might not be the best food in the world but if he's happy and healthy then surely that's preferable to struggling along like this? I know you are trying to do your best for him but sometimes the old 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' comes into play. ;)

Now you have the vitalin (and I guess they won't take it back just because you dog doesn't suit it unfortunately), I'd work with it.

I feed my dogs Vitalin alongside a raw diet and they are all very fit and well on it..including the 8 month old who previously was very runny and messy. I'd certainly try Chappie meat as it's FAB and if not maybe worth buying a block of the raw meat and seeing how he goes having that added to the vitalin. Is it the musli type stuff you are giving him? Mine all love it but I mix it with another complete biscuit to add some crunch. :thumbup:

8. sketch

sketch PetForums VIP

Have you tried mixing his food with the chicken and rice, and gradually weaning him over onto his food, rather than just taking his straight off the rice, like kinda do it gradually
    xx

9. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

thats what i did in the 1st place sketch but since he has been on it completely, he has gone back to runny poop.

JSR.... i think im kinda having to agree with you on this one to be honest! i am now thinking why the hell did i try to change him when he was happy and healthy and doing 'proper' poos on pedigree!

rainybow.... some one at work told me to try chappie... she has a westiex jrt and she said her dog reacted to most foods she tried then she tried chappie and she has been fine on it for the past few yrs.

10. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I agree about the pedigree, it might not be the best but if he was doing good on it, then stuff it.

Saying that, my boy was fine on wagg, he was fit and healthy but I didnt feel for a 'large' breed it was the best to feed him, we tried chudleys junior but that had the effect you are getting.
    We were doing great on wainwrights but then OH lost his job so couldnt really afford it and we then found out he was alergic to something in most dog foods after getting him onto whatever it was next I forget..
    So we found Skinners field and trial hypoallergenic and its amazing!

All tinned food disagrees with his tum except chappie.

11. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

thanks poisongirl..... i think i may go back to pedigree......... now what to do with a big bag of vitalin!!!

he has just had a bowl of rice and fish and wolfed it down.. good job he likes it cause thats his meals for the next week!! :lol::lol::lol:

by the way i absolutely adore the pics of your baby girl. she is so strong and so beautiful. your signiture is beautiful x

12. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

just a thought on this - if they wont refund you etc, then could you give it to a local dog rescue? they take opened bags etc and I am sure would appreciate it...? :)

13. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

If u want to try and make some money back on that bag try selling it on ebay or putting an add in your vets and pet shop?
    I got 1/2 a bag of skinners for £5 someone had not needed it and didnt want to throw away put an ad in my pet shop window :)

14. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

Hi your lil westie so cute mine is 4 months now (BOBBY ) :)

15. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

just watching blue merle collie on bgt brilliant dog :thumbup:

16. karen09

karen09 PetForums Member

what kind of fish and rice do you use?

changed to hills sicence on the advice of the vets and his poo has gone soft. he was on james wellbeloved but was eating the wet food and leaving the JW so i thought he was going off it so asked the vet what to do.

any advice?

karen

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice