UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost my 17 year old lab x staffie on the 6th may and It's breaking my heart. Just seems so empty now that he's gone. I am not sure how well I am coping but I really do feel like half of me is missing. This was him the day before he had to be put down, you would never think there was anything wrong with him.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
So sorry for your loss of Murphy.
It's such a lovely picture of him and i think for you that it was nice to see him the day before enjoying his walk on the sand.
He was well wrapped up from the cold in his coat and that shows how much you loved and cared for him.
It's early days and of course you are still feeling sad and empty.
When i lost one of our cats 18 months ago i was devastated. Like you, half of me was missing, even though i had still 2 other cats the place seemed empty.
I tryed to keep myself busy. Infact i cleared the house out and took all the unwanted items to our local Animal Rescue centre.
After about 4 months i decided to look for another cat to come and live with us.
It didn't take long and now we have Harley. He has brought back the smiles and we have a happy home again. I never thought that i could love another one but within days i had bonded with him and i love him to bits!!
So maybe when the time is right you might like to take another poor rescue dog into you life.
I think that this will help you.
Murphy left a paw print on your heart. You will never forget him!

R.I.P Murphy and run free to rainbow bridge x

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. Murphy looks like a really loved part of the family!

I lost my boy just over a year ago and I'm still struggling. I will always miss him. But having another dog now does help...but only you know when the time is right.

A forum member here said something very accurate which I will like to share. It was something along the lines of "it doesnt get better with time, but it gets easier". You will always remember Murphy, but you will find a way to live your life even though he isn't still alive. He is always with you though, you carry him in your heart!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the kind words, I am keeping myself busy but I am finding it hard when people say .... Oh have you got over it yet like its a cold ive lost not my dog.
My vet was great and murphy got his last day on the beach which he rallied all his being for. He is burried at home and we have strawberry bushes for his grave.
The sweetest thing is our staffie stella checks on him daily and if she's not happy she sorts his grave out. this is stella another pic of murphy.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know you feel a big emptiness, you had your lovely little dog for such a long time, and that is really old for a dog isnt it! he must have been very tired and although its hard you did the best thing for him.

I know how it feels to walk in the front door and hear that silence! he has left a big emptiness in your life because he brought such a lot of love into it. Its early days yet and I know you dont want to go through this heartbreak again, but there is another lovely little dog out there that one day will help heal your pain.

Dont be afraid to show your grief and talk to people who understand what it is like to lose a dog you have loved so much, but time will heal and one day like me you will give your love to another lucky little dog.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Im sorry to hear of your dear murphy, we get so attached to our animals, and when they leave us they take a part of us with them, I know ive been through it twice only recently in november 2008 I lost dear dougal, 16+yrs old.
murphy is so precious, it will take you time to except that he has gone to another life, but the missing part is something that we have to get used to,
but we never do
I do hope murphy is happy where he is, time is only early yet, you have to give yourself time to greive,
time may heal a broken heart, but memories will live forever in our hearts.
r.i.p. sweey murphy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the messages.

I have to say murphy was a Lucky dog, a rescue who's name was actually lucky. He had been dumped by his owners who had always let him roam anyway. when we found him or should I say he found us he was in a terible state. We didnt know if he would live as it was Snowing it had been very cold and he was so skinny you could see the bones in his tail. he had hardly any fur and his paws were bleeding. he came home with us and he gave him all the care we could. we traced his owners who said they did not want him as supposedly he was to boistrouse and agresive. This dog was the sweetest most lazyest dog we had. he got all the medical care he needed and neutered. we also had him chiped and he became part of the family.
when he finally got over the physical scars we then delt with the phsycological ones. He bonded with me so much that he knew when i'd be coming home from the navy, if I was ill even though I was not at home. he even destroyed my uniform when i was working close to home because he hated me being in the navy. I left september 09 and this gav him a whole new lease of life, he had so much energy even the day before he was put to sleep he was running on the beach, he just couldnt take it anymore his heart had started to fail and the only thing i could do was take him the vets. he was ready but he really did want to stay with me. I think because there was this magical bond thats why it hurts so much but he's in my garden and I talk to him everyday.

sorry for the long windness of it all but I just wanted to say how lucky i was to have him and how special he was.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Thank you for the kind words, I am keeping myself busy but I am finding it hard when people say .... Oh have you got over it yet like its a cold ive lost not my dog.
My vet was great and murphy got his last day on the beach which he rallied all his being for. He is burried at home and we have strawberry bushes for his grave.
The sweetest thing is our staffie stella checks on him daily and if she's not happy she sorts his grave out. View attachment 44763 this is stella View attachment 44764 another pic of murphy.
We lost our darling Spice (13yrd Labrador) a few months ago. I still haven't got over loosing her & never will :( friends think i'm odd that i still desperately miss her !

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We lost our darling Spice (13yrd Labrador) a few months ago. I still haven't got over loosing her & never will :( friends think i'm odd that i still desperately miss her !
I think its right to miss a beloved pet, I have to say Murphy ment more to me than any living relative I have excluding my mum but they were on a par with each other. people that dont understand could never of had a pet or should not have had one. :) sorry that you lost spice and thanks for your message.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
So sorry for your loss, I totally know how you feel having lost my old Lab on the 10th of May, believe me it takes a long time to come to terms with it, but it does get a little easier as time goes by, Im still grieving for all my passed dogs, in fact even tho I loved my mum more than anything I cried more over losing Millie than I did for her:frown:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts