Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I might be getting a.....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by PoisonGirl, Jul 9, 2009.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Deaf dog. She is a dally x and her owner is finding it too hard.
    Due to being deaf she lies to know where people are, which then when she is left all day (with a lunch time break) she is getting destructive. her owners can't afford to cut back on working time.

I have told my oh that 'someone I talk to needs their deaf dog looked after and trained' and I have helped train a deaf EBT before so I know kinda what I'm doing.

I have not told my oh that the dog will be staying but shhhhh! :D He knows she won't be trained overnight, so all going well I'm hoping to get her after Pixie and Honey go home.

Fingers crossed! Lol :)

x

2. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

Oooo thats sneaky but good plan! ur doing a good thing though and if you know what ur doing she'l be in the best place

3. Boston

Boston PetForums Member

Dont take this the wrong way but i read your last post about the gsd,
    the family wanted you to have the dog but then your oh said no, so the people who had the dog must have felt messed around by you then saying no to taking the dog.
    And now your not telling your oh about another dog that will be staying surely he will say no to this dog aswell and it will stress the dog being moved home from home after your oh says no again and also the couple who own the dog will be messed around?

Dont get me wrong i think your really trying to help these dogs and doing a good thing offering them a home/foster home and helping sort of there problems.
    But if your oh turns around and says no to this dalmation cross after he finds out it is staying surely it will just upset and stress the dog out.

Hope you dont take that the wrong way just trying to understand and see the dog isnt moved around to much :).

clueless likes this.
  4. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I thought you were getting a gsd :eek:

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I will be getting a gsd, but we decided not until we have our own house and can afford a puppy.

My oh can be stubborn, but I win in the end. If he agrees to the dog coming, he knows he has just as good as said I can keep her. I understand where you are coming from :) If it was a foster dog from a rescue like the EBT I helped train, then it would be with me until the SA was better and the hand signals mastered, then off to forever home.
    But, my oh also knows that I have told him I don't thiink a foster would leave once it came.

He loves dalamatians too so I know he would get attached to her. Plus- as I have told him about me dog sitting this week.. Seeing as he has little to no input on the dogs, then it is not up to him. He loves dogs too, and it will be no struggle to him as it will be me doing all the work.

Oh, plus- we have been offered by our landlord that sometime soon their other tennants who live in the house they own its 5 miles further but the other side of the town, its not got any neighbours, has a small peice of land, and is the same rent so we are considering that and he say it would be good there if we had another dog. So I think he is letting me have this dog, and maybe a bit more than the gsd because she is deaf, and he know I can help.

x

6. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

love your sneaky tactics! Good to hear there won't be any probs with OH.

My OH slowly coming to accept that if he says maybe then it is a yes, and sometimes even if he says no, it will still end up being a yes.;)

Back in March, he finally conceded that we could maybe think about getting a puppy if I got Daisy speyed... well guess what we are choosing new pup in a weeks time from Patterdale Lovers litter (coming home in 4.5 weeks!! YES!) and two weeks ago he conceded that a house I had spotted for sale on the internet was quite nice, and we have now had ours valued and are manically soring everything out to put our house on the market - should be ready in 3 weeks.
    I tell him that he loves my "force of nature" personality, and that after 14 years together he should know better than to show any sign of agreement at all! :lol:
    He loves me really ;)

Good luck with the dally - lovely dogs :D

7. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Men need us to be sneaky sometimes! :D What would they do without it? Lol

I have just had a long email with all the info. Including her bad points. Which i find is very honest. But, all of her bad points put together.. I have seen worse. There is nothing there that puts me off and nothing I haven't dealt with before. Like she has a bit of SA but only when left for more than a few hours (and I am rarely out for more than a few hours, in which case only because neighbours are there to let dogs out)

The lady has a foster dog who is going to his forever home in a few days so she wants to give the dally x time as an only dog again to see how she is. Which is good because I can't imagine having a new dog here while I am dog sitting, Dave's sister Pixie is an absolute nutter!! Lol

xx

8. Varkhond

Varkhond PetForums Member

9. kelly

kelly PetForums Member

What is the Dally cross with?

our's is cross with choc lab so he's a crazy dog!

good luck hope all goes well!

10. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Whippet so she's pretty high energy. But- so are my pair so I'm sure she will fit in great! :D
    They say she get a bit carried away when playing with other dogs, as obviously she cannot hear them growling at her. She just loves to play.
    Both Dave and Dixie love to play, thay would play all day if i let them. And if another dog gets too ontop of Dixie she bares her teeth in their face and removes herself. Dave just doesn't care. Lol

I have ben contacted by a woman who is offering me free info on hand signals and training a deaf dog so that wil refresh my memory :)
    We already have a collar that vibrats so will just teach her that it means 'look at me'.

She is also good off lead, they had her of lead from a puppy, in well away from road places she will never ever go more than a few metres infront, and is always coming back to check you are still there. However, I have a large extendy lead she would be staying on until/if I decided to let her off it would be in a secure area.

x

11. kelly

kelly PetForums Member

sounds like you've got your work cut out!

good luck and keep us up-to-date with your progress.

12. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Thanks. It will be a couple of weeks before I know for certain that she is coming but it sounds very likely.
    I am going to have to look for a book on training deaf dogs now.. Don't have one of those on my shelf! :)

x

13. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

Hi, well done you on rescuing a deaf dog, i think the dalmatian site has info, sorry not sure of actually site, but if you google, something should come up, as i nearly had one a few months back, but decided not to go ahead in the end,

14. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

15. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Oh I do hope I get her she is absolutely gorgous!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I keep looking at my emails to see if she has emailed back, even though I know she is at work! Lol

x

16. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

That site is brilliant! Thank-you.
    I am so going to use a torch as a clicker! Brilliant idea :D

x

17. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

wow she's lovely! She just looks like a more slimline version of a dally :laugh:

I hope you get her, she sounds like she'd be a cracking dog with a bit of work :)

18. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I met a couple during a session at our local vets puppy party and they had a white puppy boxer (deafness common in the white boxers) and they had been having lessons as they knew the puppy they were getting was deaf so were trained in sign language before it came, it was intriguing but thinking about it mant working dogs work by sign language. Good luck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice