Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I might be alergic to my kitten!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Elise.x, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Elise.x

Elise.x PetForums Junior

Hi all, i might be having an alergic reaction to Hank :(

Over the past 2 or 3 days a few of my fingers have swelled up at the joints, this has happened to me before and has always usually been a allergic reation to some form of cleaning product or something like that because i have very sensitive skin, but this time im worried it might be my kitten, because, ive always took piriton when ive had a reaction before and its gone away, but this time when im taking piriton daily, it calms down then when i wake up in the morning its flared back up again :(

I am going to leave it another day or two, and not use any cleaning products or anything, just to elimenate them and then i will go to the docs if its not better.

I always thought that if you were allergic to cats then it would be cold like symptons, sneezing, etc?

I really hope its not Hank because it will break my heart to have to rehome him :crying:

2. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Hi, it doesnt sound like an allergy reaction and I get them pretty bad! If I have been touching my pets and I dont wash my hands after they start to itch. I think its more than likely that its a cleaning product / chemical reaction.

3. Elise.x

Elise.x PetForums Junior

Hi, thanks for the replie, its put my mind at ease alittle :)
    I will see how it goes, but i thought it didnt seem like a reaction to my kitten, its just that its not going this time, only time will tell i suppose, thanks again:D

4. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

You're welcome :) Why not try washing your hands after touching him and see if that makes a difference?

5. badbudgie

badbudgie PetForums Member

I dont know what the weather is where you are but if it's anything like it is here it could be swelling due to the heat?

I would have thought reaction to animals would be like you say running nose, sore eyes etc.

Hopefully it's something else, but not too serious!

6. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

I aggree with the last post.
    I think it might be something to do with the very hot weather we have been having.
    Sometimes my joints swell up with the heat.

7. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Most allergies to cat tend to cause sneezing, eyes itching and sometimes wheezing. A bit like hayfever. Itchy tickle spot on skin if the cat licks you or sratches. Sounds to me like it's somethng else personally. Hubby CAN suffer badly so I know what to look out for.

8. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Its the actual dander most people are allergic to and as others have said, it causes hayfever like symptoms. A friends husband has very bad asthma, and is allergic to their cat, but his skin does react if he comes in contact with the cats saliva. If the cat rubs his cheek on his bare arm, the skin comes up in a raised red welt for an hour or so, but it goes away by itself.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice