Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

I lost my baby today

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by Abie, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Abie

Abie PetForums Newbie

Her name is Stripes. She was abandoned by a neighbour a couple of years ago when the neighbour moved away so we took her in. She was the best cat, not a lap cat, and you had to watch out for those claws, but she was loving and so sweet on her own terms. My whole family fell in love with her and loved her deeply.

The past couple of weeks she has been eating less and refusing to come in more, she loves the garden, but always came when called and always emptied her bowl. Since Saturday she has barely been in, had a few bites of food and gone straight back out, it was clear she was very sick.

We took her to the vets today and made the decision that any invasive procedures or treatments would not improve the quality of her life and would be cruel, so we made the decision to let her rest.

If you had known her you would understand why the whole process of letting her rest was such a reflection of the cat she was.

The vet shaved her paw ready for the injection, he tried twice but she was dehydrated and while she wasn't too distressed it would have been cruel to try any more. The vet then went and got a sedative which he injected into a muscle, she very soon fell asleep and from that moment on there was no pain for her. After a few minutes he injected the euthanasia into her stomach and we were stroking her and telling her how much she was loved and how awesome things were going to be for her with all the sunny spots and bushes for her to sleep in that she could ever want. It was quite a long time and her heart was still beating and she was still breathing so she was given a second injection. Again, it was taking a long time, her breathing was getting less and the vet was intermittently checking her heart rate. We were stroking her and talking to her the whole time, she was most definitely there. He checked her heart and said it was still beating, I bent down and kissed the side of her face and while I was kissing her I felt her go and told the vet who checked her heart again which was about 30 seconds after the last time and she was finally at rest.

Time was standing still but I would say it was likely about 30 minutes, which written down sounds awful but it was peaceful, so calm, and after having had an terrible time before we got her we were able to make sure she knows how much we love her, and we had time to make sure that nothing was left unsaid.

The vet and the nurse were fantastic they were there throughout but also not there, letting us love on our Stripey Cat.

I wanted to write this out fully to show that even if the medication cannot be administered into the vein that things will be just as peaceful. I know that there are other ways the vet could have made it go quicker after the first injection into the stomach didn't work quickly, but it must have been obvious that we were comfortable with loving on her while we waited. Although her eyes stayed open after the sedative she did not move at all, she was unable to feel pain and she was unconscious.

I didn't want a cat but apparently Stripes decided that I needed one, she walked into our home as bold as brass and let us know that this was her home now. I love her so much and my heart is broken and it will always have a Stripey shaped hole in it.

2. cava14 una

cava14 una Anne two black and white boys and a Nortie Tortie

So sorry for your loss but it does sound like a very peaceful passing. You were with her to the end which was the last thing you could do for her.
    Run free at the Bridge Stripes!

3. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum PetForums VIP

So very sorry to hear of your beloved cat's passing

Weep not for me though I am gone into that gentle night.
    Grieve if you will, but not for long upon my soul's sweet flight.
    I am at peace, my soul is at rest, and there is no need for tears.
    For with your love I was so blessed for all those many years.
    There is no pain; I suffer not, the fear now all is gone.
    Put now these things out of your thoughts, in your memory I live on.
    Remember not my fight for breath, remember not the strife.
    Please do not dwell upon my death, but celebrate my life.

Copyright 1992 Constance Jenkins,

4. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I'm really sorry to hear this. Its heartbreaking losing a much loved pet. :(
    Run Free . Stripes.

5. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Sleep peacefully Stripes xxx

6. Abie

Abie PetForums Newbie

Thank you, i'm so heartbroken. It took 24 hours to remove her food dish from the floor, I couldn't do it, and I keep opening the back door to let her in. I've been cuddling her blanket at night.

I wish she'd had more years with us, she was so happy here., she was my first cat since I left home, i'm 42, and I know that now i'll never be without a cat again. It's tough with the kids as well, they are devastated.

She was too young, she could have been as young as 11, maybe 13, we weren't sure. It's not fair.

7. Janine Nichol

Janine Nichol PetForums Newbie

Hi Abie.
    I have just read your post after posting one myself today.
    Nearly everything you have written were the same as me.
    Took my beloved cat Molly in after a neighbour abandoned her when moving.
    She stopped eating and was very lethargic, spending the last few of her days sitting on the back doorstep. Sadly too had to have her put down on the 12th Sept!
    Just wondered how you are doing. 4 weeks yesterday and im still hurting and miss her everyday

8. Janine Nichol

Janine Nichol PetForums Newbie

We were also unsure of her age. We thought she was 10/11 years but the vet said they would have said about 13 years x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice