Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

i live near a busy road

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by clownfrog, Dec 17, 2020.

1. clownfrog

clownfrog PetForums Newbie

hi, i live on a fast road and I'm worried about it for when I get my cat.

dose anyone have any tips about keeping cats away from the road??

thank you

2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

I wouldn’t get a cat if I lived on or near a busy road, unless I could be certain to keep it indoors.

It’s a bit like a feline death sentence because there’s no way to ‘train’ a cat not to go somewhere.

O2.0, buffie and chillminx like this.
  3. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Cat proof your garden if you can, or keep it inside. A busy road is no place to let a cat - you only have to look at the amount of threads where people are devastated because they have lost cats to the road to tell you that.

O2.0, clownfrog, buffie and 4 others like this.
  4. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

We have a rescue cat who is totally content to be a housecat. There is an extremely busy road at the end of our street and letting out a cat in light of this is not an option. Jimmy is a very happy and playful cat and does not seem to lack anything from not going outside.

clownfrog likes this.
  5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I agree with Linda Weasel and MilleD. Don't get a cat if you can't guarantee to keep him safe away from the road.

Cats love crossing roads to see what is the other side. You cannot stop them unless you cat proof your garden with special fencing, or build a wood and mesh cat enclosure attached to your house, which the cat accesses through a cat flap on the back door. Some people prefer to keep their cats indoors 24/7.

O2.0 and clownfrog like this.
  6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I wouldn’t risk it - I’d cat proof the garden as a good compromise.

O2.0, clownfrog and chillminx like this.
  7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Either don't have a cat or be prepared to keep it as an indoor cat or build run /cat proof your garden.
    There is no way a cat should be exposed to the dangers of any road far less a busy one ,infact I would go further and say cats should not be allowed to free roam .
    A busy road is only one of the dangers for a free roaming cat the outside world just isn't safe for any animal.

O2.0 and clownfrog like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice