Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I literally don't know what just happened..

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Dante, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

Schrodinger just launched three consecutive full blown attacks on me whilst me and my OH were just stood talking. As a result I'm completely covered in deep lacerations, puncture wounds and bruises up my entire right hand side from my thighs to my neck.

The first time he jumped at me I was like 'oh, okay - that hurt' (slight confusion about what he was doing) *carry on talking*. Once on the floor he started that seriously deep angry throaty growling, he then jumped at me the second time and we suddenly realised he was intentionally trying to hurt me for whatever reason.. By this point I started heading towards the bathroom to shut myself in, and he jumped at me again. Shut myself in the bathroom while OH tries to rectify the situation outside, Pandora had entered defensive mode and launched attacks on Schrodinger. Eowyn (ever the sensible one!) scattered upstairs and all I could hear from the bathroom was mayhem.

There was banging against the bathroom door which I presumed was the cats randomly bouncing off it but once things settled down, I came out to find Pyrrha (completely petrified) had shoved herself in the tiny space behind the fridge/freezer and in the process ripped the plug for the cat fountain to pieces. She'd been stuck out near the bathroom and OH said he'd seen her jump the height of the door because she couldn't find anywhere to hide.. Bless her.

Definitely one of those 'what the f**k just happened?' moments.. Pyrrha is still in hiding, the boys are shifty as hell and Eowyn's walking around oblivious as ever.

I could understand if they'd been in the middle of a fight and I'd intervened, but this was completely out of the blue :blink:

Anyone ever experienced anything towards themselves like this before?

2. hellstorm2004

hellstorm2004 PetForums Junior

Got a bite in my a$$ two days ago from my two kittens. But that was not intentional i think. I was sleeping and they were playing. They just thought my a$$ was something to play with. But yours is something different!

Even my two kittens have turned a bit aggressive last few days!

3. Golgotha_tramp

Golgotha_tramp PetForums Senior

I have never had this happen to me but my first thought would be a routine trip to the vet to make sure nothing obvious is wrong which could have caused a freak out.

Other then that wait and see if it happens again, if it does maybe a behaviourist?

4. jess91

jess91 PetForums Senior

oh dear :(
    you didnt have anything on you did you? perhaps a spider or some other insect that upset him?

5. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

My Mum suggested the same, that perhaps he was in pain or something that would cause him to completely lose it. If it happens again, that'll be where I'm headed. As it is, I have to take Pyrrha to the vets tomorrow so I'll ask her opinion too.

6. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

Not that I'm aware of, my hair was up too as I'd just got in from work so he wasn't going for that either. I've only heard him get somewhere near that vocal once before, and that was over quickly after he bashed Pandora in the head.. But he's a complete softie 99% of the time! Very uncharacteristic.

7. jess91

jess91 PetForums Senior

hmm, maybe pop him along to the vet for a quick check over if your going anyway
    has he been otherwise okay recently?

slightly off topic but theo once bit and scratched me quite badly when i stood on his tail by mistake.
    his own furry fault really, should spend less time lurking under my feet!!

8. ShelybellyandTeamC

ShelybellyandTeamC Bad Joke Generator

Can I just say that is an awesome name for a cat! :D

9. shamykebab

shamykebab PetForums VIP

Christ this sounds scary!! Did you ever find out what set him off?

As an aside, I've always said that cats would have been more effective than Dogs Of War - they're pointy at 5 ends!!

10. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

Still not a clue! He's been fine since, bought a Feliway just to calm them all down.. Not that they really need it but no harm in trying :)

It made me realise I haven't had a tetanus booster in 14 years though if nothing else, so booked myself in lol.

11. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Only a weird thought so feel free to ignore me................. :D

Reading your OP, I had 2 things come immediately to mind:

1. Something wrong with Schrodinger .

2. Something wrong (health-wise) with you. You know how animals that we are really close to can often sense changes in our health before we are aware of it...... Maybe worth getting yourself a bit of a health check-up when you go for your jab.

Like I said, just a weird thought............. :eek:

Hope everything is all settled now. :)

12. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

I agree with that train of thought, only, usually, cats or dogs do not attack if something is wrong with your health, they will sniff or nuzzle it, or a dog will stand and bark like he found the 'prize'.... They may scratch at your clothes to get to the diseased spot, but not attack you like that.

Sounds to me like he really blew a fuse.
    Unless there WAS some spider or other offensive object on your clothing he was attacking, there really is no logical explanation. Have you been somewhere before you got home, where you could have picked up a truly offensive, scary or threatening scent???

I wouldn't wait for it to happen a second time, unless you want to risk coming home to a killing field one day. This time it was against you, but how can you be sure it will not be against another cat next time?

Heve him thoroughly examined, and preferably an X-ray of the brain, too.
    May be a tumour or blood clot on the brain could cause this.....
    But I must say I am very deeply worried about such a vicious and determined attack.
    There simply MUST be something very wrong with him, physically or mentally, to freak out in such a way, so utterly hostile and persistent, and totally out of the blue. It simply isn't normal.

Even for a cat under threat, this isn't normal behaviour. Somehow he must have felt utterly cornered, for attacking like that is the very last option, a cat will always try to get out of a situation by threatening posing and bluffing.
    Only if he really feels cornered, and truly sees no other way out at all, will he go into this kind of all-out attack mode.

He treated you like you were the arch-enemy......
    Very scary, and in my opinion, unnatural, thing to happen.

#12 Jiskefet, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  13. Mummy of Jaffe Joffer

Mummy of Jaffe Joffer PetForums VIP

This all sounds very odd and my first thought was that if you had just come home that you may have had a funny smell on you that he didn't like?? My second thought was the same as others and that there is possibly something wrong with him. I hope you get to the bottom of it. :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice