Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I let him out :(

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by KateandCasper, Jul 8, 2009.

1. KateandCasper

KateandCasper PetForums Member

Well Ive been umm-ing and arr-ing about letting casper out for weeks now. He has been out for a while on his lead and the last week or so on his own but supervised - everytime he tried to climb the fence I took him inside lol.

Today i decided to let him out and if he climbed the fence let him go. I did it before tea so he would be hungry and scattered some of his litter outside as someone had reccomended. Anyway he mooched about the garden for a bit and then hopped over to next door, I left him for a while and then called him for his tea - and called him and called him and called him....................I could see him in the garden and he was point blank ignoring me and the food dish full of yummy food I was bashing! In the end the next door neighbour picked him up and handed himback over the fence!

My question from this long post (sorry!) is was he just ignoring me as he was having too much of a good time and would have come back in his own time or is he not well trained enough to go out yet?

Thanks x

2. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

How old is he?

3. KateandCasper

KateandCasper PetForums Member

17 weeks - microchipped but not nutered until next month

4. Domoniques

Domoniques PetForums Senior

Hi
    My boys have been out in the garden and now run to the bottom of the garden and go to next door but they do come when I call there names and tap a T spoon on their pot dish .
    My friend told me to let them out for 10mins and call them to me and then let them go and play again for 10mins and call again if they keep coming back the time can get longer but they should then come when called.

5. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

Hes not too too young to go out, hes prob exploring the gardens and doesnt want to come in...i wouldnt of thought he would go far tho..

6. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

I agree, i've had the same problem as you ;) they always come back, its a new adventure for them ;) try not to worry they are cats after all very intelligent :D x

7. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

maybe he was havin loads of fun.
    i no when sheldon goes out he either lets me no when he wants to come in or when wen i shout of him he he runs like crazy to the door.

if he doesnt come in and i shout hell come so i no hes there and then he'll toddle off again.

i wud jst wait till hes ready to come in. if hes hungry he'll come back for food.

8. thompsonk

thompsonk PetForums Member

Hey,

I was umming and arrring about letting Tilda out as she had brain damage, a head tilt and balance problems so she falls over quite a bit, but I didnt have a choice as she is like Houdini and got out anyway! I was hysterical and was away at the time for only 2 days. I came home to find her at the bottom of the garden and when I woke the next day she was under my bed, she had been gone for 3 days, coming in to get fed then off out again!

Now I let her come and go as she pleases (not at the min because shes 6/7wks pregnant!) She likes to go out on a night but shes always home before midnight. Your kitty will find his own routine and you will get to know it, they come home when they are hungry believe me! Luckily i have a cat flap so i dont need to leave windows or doors open.

xx

9. thompsonk

thompsonk PetForums Member

One other thing, ive found that cats are very very stubborn and Tilda would not come in if I called her, unless there was chicken promised for her! xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice