Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I know some people don't like/are afraid of dogs but why...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lucyandsandy, Apr 28, 2011.

1. lucyandsandy

lucyandsandy PetForums VIP

Do some people have to literally leap out the way of them in such a dramatic fashion! Sandy is still very small, I took her for a short walk along the river wall and then into town. I walked past one lady and Sandy was nowhere near her (plus I had her under control) an this lady jumped back as if Sandy had attacked her!

I also tied Sandy up outside nursery whilst I picked my son up the other day, way out the way of passer by's or people going in/out of the nursery and one woman was telling her child to keep far away from the nasty dog is it will bite you!

I felt more sorry for the child being brought up to hate dogs rather than the fear or dislike that the mum had.

2. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

Same reason I leap out of the way of spiders and have a panic attack when they come near me. Totally irational, yes. Can I help it, no.

Fear affects everyone in different ways. Just one of those things.

3. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I know, it's stupid isn't it, I try to always respect the fact some people aren't as crazy about dogs as I am, but sometimes I do have to giggle at the Oscar worthy dog avoiding performances. What you mentioned about parents telling their kids about the 'nasty dog' etc is a huge pet (excuse the pun) hate of mine - just the another day we walked past a lovely little girl who so wanted to make a fuss of Harvey (which would have been fine by me) but her mum kept saying ''no, he'll bite you'' and dragged her away :(

Please be careful leaving your puppy tied up outside places - it takes a split second for a pups lead to be unclipped and the pup scooped up (even if you could see the dog the entire time, a car driving past could stop and whisk her away before you could get out).

4. Horse and Hound

There's a difference between people being daft and telling theit child that the "nasty dog will bite" to people being genuinely frightened of something.

My friend has a tarantula. I'm petrified of the thing so she's not likely to get it out of its tank and pop it on my head, likewise why should someone who is scared of dogs accept them jumping up at them?

5. sunshine80

sunshine80 PetForums VIP

Have to agree with the above really some people can not help being scared of dogs. My neice is terrified of dogs (and any large pets) and used to climb up your leg to try and get away from them (no joke she really did when she was a toddler). No matter how much the nice lady with the little fluffy dog (always seems to be them that stopped :smile:) stopped and tried to tell hysterical screaming toddler that the dog would not hurt her - there was no way she would get out your arms or stop screaming until the dog was well out of site. She is now a little older but still scared of dogs and will not step foot on the floor of our house until she knows that someone has got hold of terrible monster Sonny :rolleyes:

The ones I really do not get are the parents who tell the kids to stay away for dogs because they bite.

6. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I'm not saying that. It's not acceptable for a dog to jump up at anyone without permission - whether the person is a dog lover or dog phobic

People diving in the past of oncoming cars etc just to avoid a well mannered dog walking on lead with its owner, perfectly calm and under control, that's what I'm saying is a bit extreme.

7. Mumbles

Mumbles PetForums Senior

I apparently used to be scared of dogs when i was young, mum said i used to walk across the road so didn't have to walk passed them, so when mum and dad considered getting a dog they got a smaller one so i wouldn't be as worried.

Have no idea why i was apparently afraid of them and don't actually remember it myself, but i love dogs now and have done ever since my parents brought one

8. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

Some people are wary of dogs and that is completely understandable to me. Some might have been bitten and its hard to shake off fears like that.

Personally I never tie my dog up anywhere on her own and especially not outside/near a nursery where you will have excited , tired toddlers running out and spotting a dog and wanting to stroke it. It puts the dog in a bad situation if he gets pulled about and nips a child and you aren't there to control the dog.

9. Horse and Hound

To you, maybe, but to the person in question its a reaction they can't help.

I once nearly chopped my finger off when a spider ran on my hand. I whacked it with a spade. Stupid, yes, extreme, yes, but a reaction I had that was knee jerk and nothing I could do about it.

People are frightened of different things.

10. tinysarah

tinysarah PetForums Member

my sister was terrified of dogs as she was bitten by next doors poodle when she was about 2 years old, and my stupid cousin trained there dog to jump up at her when she was 4 years old - this was a medium cross-bread, so for a 4 year old little girl was a giant!. Ever since that she would go to pieces when she saw one - when we would go to pets at home (when it used to be called Jolleys) if she saw one, even if it was only a tiny little thing, she would have to go to another area of the shop. i felt so sorry for her as i loved them - still do.

but now 20 years later, she is so relaxed with conan whenever she sees him (i live in peterborough now, and she;s still in hampshire with mum and dad), plays with him, feeds him and comes on walks with us. and he always goes over to her when we go down to see them. ignores my mum until he's seen becky.

she said to me the other day on the phone, that she was warey of him when he was a puppy as he was 'stealthy and krept up on you' but now (he's 47.5kg, 10 months old) you hear his feet before you see him, she loves him and is used to him coming over to her, often stepping on her toes in the process.

11. astraldream

astraldream PetForums Member

In all fairness i dont like kids and when they coming running up to me or even brush past me with their sticky little fingers and snotty nose i get really annoyed.

12. lucyandsandy

lucyandsandy PetForums VIP

I do understand fear of things but I don't think these two people had a fear of dogs just didn't like them. I do respect that people don't like/fear dogs and I would never force my dog upon them, I was meerly jesting at the amatuer dramatics of these two people. Sorry if I offended anyone!

13. Horse and Hound

Well there is a difference. I don't like tomatos or kids, but I'm not frightened of either. That said i don't act like a complete moron when I encounter one.

Spiders, I'm petrified of. And that does drive me to stupid, neurotic behaviour!!! :rolleyes:

14. Val001

Val001 PetForums Senior

Its been quite strange with all the viewers we've had for the house actually. Some love the dogs, some are terrified of them and some just don't bother. Most Asian viewers look petrified. The dogs love everyone and treat them all alike so its not them.

15. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I think alot of it is down to past experiences with dogs. Ive spoken to a few people who are scared of mine, I think they wanted to justify why they were terrified of 6Ib dogs!!:rolleyes: Mostly it was down to being bitten or snapped at by similar breeds in the past and sadly little dogs do have a rep for snapping without warning signs.:(

16. cravensmum

cravensmum PetForums VIP

My brother came to visit me last week,he had only seen Craven once before and I was confused by his reaction.

We were brought up with dogs from a GSD,Dalmatian,Great dane down to Beagles and Pekes,granted he never walked the dogs and never had much to do with them but I didn't think he disliked them,I thought he was just not a doggy person.

Because of this I kept Craven on a lead whilst he was here,but Craven is a friendly dog and kept trying to have a sniff,and everytime Craven did this my brother shirked away and would not let Craven have any contact.

This from a man who had just spent 2 days travelling on his motorbike and was covered in dead flies.:eek:

I was so stunned by his reaction that I didn't ask why.:( I don't know whether he was scared or disgusted.:confused:

17. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

I think Horse and Hound has put it very well. I think people who suffer with a true phobia 'get it' and others probably never will. There is a world of difference between not liking something and having a phobia. The part of your brain that deals with fear is not rational, so even if you know your reaction is totally OTT you find it hard to control it.

18. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

My mom is terrified of dogs more so larger breeds but even still strange dogs will make her very nervous.

My mom was bitten, grew up with a very bad tempered dog my mom was afraid of, and when we were kids we had a Border Collie and all tho my mom loved she was afraid of her to.

My mom had to also witness me and my brother running up the street with Pit bull type dog chasing, it got ahold of my brothers vest and threw him the ground.

My mom will say hello and pet the Gsd next door but if he was to start barking or jumping up my mom would just panic and run for it.

She has gone around cars, crossed the road etc all to get away from dogs that make her nervous.

But she has gotten better, hence us having a dog though a small one. (I prefer the big guys tho)

My mom nows very well that having a dog means youll come in contact with more of all kinds which is why when we take Sophie to places where there will be other dogs me or my brother are holding the leash and taking control of introductions with my mom watching and if she feels comfortable she can come over and say hi to.

But I have met a few people who dont seem to think people may be afraid or uncomfortable so they bring there great dane into a little store, were my mom was so preterfied to move.

19. Horse and Hound

Yip! World of difference.

I have a proper phobia of spiders, to the extent that I saw one in my room, my dad would have to catch it...even if that meant turning my bed upside down, the lot.

Or I would go and sleep in the spare room.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice