Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I know it's natural Feline behaviour, but.........

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by bilzin, Apr 27, 2011.

1. bilzin

bilzin PetForums Junior

Just as I was settling down to an evening of further computer animation studies,
    my little 7 1/2 month old fella (Korky) has tried to enter via his usual method (known as the living room window)
    I must admit that his hunting skills are very developed for his age, the tally so far being....4 1/2 Mice
    The first one being live, and rescued by myself
    The second and third being EX MICE
    The fourth 1/2 a mouse I won't go into detail about Ok ?
    Tonight though, he's outdone himself, and he's still wondering why Dad won't allow him into his palace whilst carrying a young thrush fledgling corpse.
    As I said in the intro to this thread, I realise that this is natural feline behaviour, but I really wish that he would find another way of releasing his pent up aggression and anti social (to me) habits elsewhere.

And all this coming from a 22 year military type who took part in 4 campaigns of a GSM and SAM type....must be getting soft in me owd age I reckon !

Bill

2. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

It is completely natural but still hard to take sometimes, growing up we had some excellent mousers, one was even a pheasenter and if he'd only chewed the neck then Mum would put it in the larder to hang whilst he got a little reward of tuna or sardines, I think he cottoned on to this because he would deliver at least one a fortnight.

All you can do is to try and keep him in at dusk and dawn as this is prime hunting time, but he won't thank you for it and bells on collars don't work it just teaches them to be even more stealth like to stop the bell ringing, clever creatures are cats.

3. bilzin

bilzin PetForums Junior

I think it might be easier to accept if he brought something useful back home....like a chicken or a sheep ! Am I expecting too much of the little fella ?

4. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

Possibly at 7 1/2 months give him a few months, he may not bring home the whole sheep but lamb chops on or about barbecues could be fair game, and I have heard of cats dragging home other peoples sunday roasts that have been set aside on the work top to rest, so give him time.

5. Beckyjr37

Beckyjr37 PetForums Member

don't really get many "presents" any more but Lola's sister Portia managed a very impressive tally in her, sadly, very short life. She could take down anything that moved within her line of sight and to my knowledge (these are the ones that she brought in to show me) she killed one very large pidgeon (heaven knows how she got that through the catflap :blink:), a bat (in mid flight!), a full-grown grey squirrel, a whole family of blackbirds (one at a time), an average of 2 mice a night (she used to leave them in lines at the bottom of the stairs after I indicated that I didn't really want them on my bed :eek:), and countless moths that she used to catch in mid-air.
    There were also a few (not many) failed attempts which we managed to rescue (probably only briefly).

I don't like animals being killed but cats are natural hunters and the efficiency with which she killed thinks was truly awe-inspiring at times!

Lola has taken the "I can do it but I really can't see the point" stance. She caught a sparrow once just to prove it and thn let it go in the sitting room and walked off!

6. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Many years ago I had a cat that did that to a neighbour :eek: She also ate a budgie - I'm not sure where she found it but I saw an advert in my local shop window for a missing budgie :eek:
    My son's cat brings in live rabbits and mice and lets them go in his house :eek:

7. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

the last 'present' I got was this:

[​IMG]

:D :D

However I find it highly upsetting when he brought 2 baby birds home and the mum / dad was attacking him :( both died :( called the rspca as one was alive I tried to save it but he faded :(

8. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

when Mabel was feral her tally was quite impressive: £7,000 worth of racing pigeons... (silly owner didn't shut them in a aviary or pidgeon loft at night and they roosted in the conifers in a neighbour's garden... didn't learn) rats, mice, a few squirrels and her biggest achievement - a seagull! the thing was bigger than her! I'm assuming it wither flew into a pylon or was clipped by a train but wither way she dragged it a good 200 yards+ home!

She also ate Mrs Brown and her 2 eggs (a blackbird that lived by my door - she was hand tame and took mealworms from your fingers) :(

ed - forgot to mention, Indy is utterly useless though, once had a mouse in the house, he pounced and killed it very skillfully - but spat it out with a look of utter *horror* as if to say "eeeeew omg that tastes *nasty* ew ew ew I need a drink" and he spent a solid 10 minutes drinking.... now if he sees a mouse through window he flees

#8 IndysMamma, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  9. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

One of our little dears brought home a sea gull once :eek: there was a trail of feathers down the back lane, over our wall, all over the yard & up the back stairs :blink: it was like a Hitchcock film :tongue_smilie: one body & no head :eek:

Scutter fetched in a Canary :eek: there was no way he was giving that up must taste nice :tongue_smilie: turned out there was someone down the road who had an aviery & showed them :eek:

Milo our old MC was more of a knitting or kids toys type of killer :lol:

10. Milly Cat

Milly Cat PetForums Member

Milly just brings in earthworms - the juicier the better :D

11. merothe

merothe PetForums Senior

Freya honed her hunting technique on ping pong balls so attempts to catch all objects (Inc flies etc) by sitting on them...bless her :p

Humphrey has caught at least two mice that I know of (I mean I guess it was him given Freya can't even catch stationary objects without sitting on them :p)

They are both indoor cats so they don't get exciting prey.

My friends cat once needed surgery after it got a bird head stuck in it's throat! Apparently the X-ray was disgusting :w00t:

12. Myanimalmadhouse

Myanimalmadhouse PetForums VIP

Goose:- cant be bothered but will happily steal someone elses catch :rolleyes:
    Lyla:- pens, pencils, lighters and the occasional pigeon
    Millie:- socks, balls of wool and bits of paper
    Tilly:- not really interested would rather be "served" than to catch anything and even then i think she'd expect it to be boned and cooked!
    Gizmo:- Anything that moves! Birds, mice, rats, feet, leaves, flowers, flies, butterflys, wasps (he'll never learn!) shadows, light etc etc etc :rolleyes:

13. alan g a

alan g a Hello ev'ry body peeps. Stavross 'ere init.

One of my cats used to bring in dead leaves and empty crisp packets. God knows what she wanted them for!:D:D

14. Kat74Em

Kat74Em PetForums Member

Last weekend Harry expertly caught, killed and ate two bees. I did try to explain to him that the UK bee population is in decline but it fell on deaf ears :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice