Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I know it was all my fault

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Lilb, May 4, 2011.

1. Lilb

Lilb Guest

Post deleted.

#1 Lilb, May 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2012
  2. lucylastic

lucylastic PetForums VIP

No No No. You don't sound like an irresponsible owner. An irresponsible owner would be putting all the blame on the other party. You made a mistake and let your dog get into an unfortunate situation. I doubt there's anyone here who can say they never made a mistake with their dogs. Luckily no real damage was done. Just learn from it and move on.

3. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Oh my! I hope shes ok.

4. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

That sounds horrendous for you both. I hope the injury heals okay and that you both do not let this effect future walks :(

5. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

To be honest i think that it is sometimes things that will happen, no matter how responsible the owner is, sometimes dogs will do what dogs want to do, you see this even in some of the most highly trained dogs.

Our two get a little funny on odd occasions if another big dog comes bounding up, i wouldnt shout out to the other owner as yet, but would try and manage the greeting if another dog was running up to us, and be ready to call off my dog and step in.

I have met with quite friendly responses from people and they say i am too worried about things, i should relax a little!

I wouldnt necessarily jump to blame a person whose dog ran to us and would not recall, it would depend on what happened with their attitude etc, we have had lots of dogs run up to us, far more freely and without word from the owner, than we allow our dogs to run up to others, if the owner comes over and is quite amenable and the dogs are okay, even if one of mine got a bit bothered at being approached and surprised, i would still be okay with the owner.

I think we put ourselves under so much pressure, worrying about the dogs, the owners, our dogs, etc and most times all is okay, and we worry for nothing!

#5 Rolosmum, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 5, 2011
  6. Nico0laGouldsmith

Nico0laGouldsmith PetForums VIP

aww it's terrible when things like that happen, I think in those situations it's down to both parties. . .to be honest though you had no reason to think they could be viscous because the other person didn't have them on leads. . .although they may have not know they would react like that either. . .so I don't think it is anyone's fault really and these things unfortunately happen. I hope your doggy is okay though bless them!!!

I took my little dog for a walk and she's a tiny little thing and a group of "chavs" came the other way and they had a staffie and normally I honestly don't think "oh staffie, dangerous" it was just by the look of the teens that had it (on a rope might I add) that made me think it could be a little iffy like the dog may have been trained to be aggressive. . .as they approached I felt so guilty in thinking that that I resisted the urge to pick my little girl up. . .but then I saw the dog look at her from like a foot away and I'm not kidding I have never moved so fast! I scooped her up with one hand and threw her up to my shoulder like i would hold a child to keep her as high as I could (I'm only 5 foot 3!!!) and the boys (who weren't holding the dog) laughed whilst the dog actually tried to get to her, he was barking and trying to jump up to her, she wasn't on heat or anything (she's not been done because she's only ever been in proper contact with my boy who I lost last year and he was done) I was so scared the dog was going to bite me because I was between the two! The boy who was actually holding the dog's "rope" was pulling it and telling it to "come on LEAVE IT" whilst trying to walk past but I was absolutely terrified. . .people should not be allow their dogs to become viscous, it definitely gives a bad name to staffies as well :( he could easily have killed her if she'd been down at his level and I never would have forgiven myself!

she was really shaken up too so we both went home for a cuddle, it was an awful experience :(

7. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

:( Poor Abbie, I hope she feels right as rain by tomorrow xx

8. lucyandsandy

lucyandsandy PetForums VIP

I hope you are both ok. Don't beat yourself up, move on from this and learn from it. You can't always predict/prevent situations from happening!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice