Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I know, i know, yet another thread about Pet Insurance...sorry

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ad_1980, Aug 8, 2009.

1. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

You all know i have Mika, and have had him for 8 months. But he's not been insured as yet...and no before anyone asks Dante isn't insured either i don't think.....

but anyhow......yes i want to insure my poochie.

how did you all do your research for good pet insurance? how did you know what was the best insurance for you? I've looked at comparing dog insurance websites but still don't know which is the best.

A little bit of opnions/advice most appreciated plse. Ta! :D

2. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

You want to make sure you get lifelong cover not annual. That should cut out a lot of campanies. What I did next was read through the different companies' exclusions. If you read some of them you'll find that they will actually pay out for very few claims and only if you have met certain conditions eg yearly teeth cleaning.
    This may not be the most efficient way to do it, it's just my method. Hope it helps.

3. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

I was asking the vet about it today for Blu and she said she is with Pet Plan but only because she get's a vets discount. She told me she's thinking of changing to Argos because it's alot cheaper. She told me to go for lifetime and I've to read some of the insurance policies and chose what one. I think I will most likely go with Pet Plan because I'd rather pay more and know it was the better company and will most likely pay out.

4. Guinevere13

Guinevere13 PetForums VIP

We are with More Than. I have claimed twice now and they have been very good at paying out. Not sure if it is life cover though - need to check on that.

5. Trackerbob

Trackerbob PetForums Junior

All 6 of my dogs are insured with Pet Plan and I couldn't fault them. The amount of money we have had from them over the last 3 years far exceeds what we have paid, and they have never challenged a claim or has there ever been a delay in payment.

One of my rescues had to have £4000 of surgery to it's hock and they paid it all bar the £80 excess, and they also pay for his month's supply of medication! Would recommend them to anybody.

6. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

we have just gone with tesco's life time condition policy just for the moment as we are skint its £37 for 2 dogs and 2 cats a month, £4k payout (i know its not huge) and it covers life time conditions

Im with them already for the cats and havnt ever had a problem with them paying out

7. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

just look around like you would car insurance. look at excess and cover. Excess ranges from £60-100 and cover at £7000 per treatment per condition is usually standard - in life policies. This means what you pay now will be the same until they are about 8yrs and then they will change to adult/senior *annual cover.

You should get them insurred ASAP all it need is for them to eat something they shouldnt, run out into the road have some kind of injury and you are looking at a lot of money.

My springer had a small cyst removed that he was biting 1/2 a cm across - after removal and biopsys it came to £500. More recently we needed xrays after a sprain ..£800 then there were consultation and meds. Getting cover for £180 a year will save you heaps if it is needed :)

8. Colsy

Colsy Banned

All mine are with More Than they have been very good so far.

9. Guinevere13

My cat had a 3-4cm cancerous lump removed from her spine and a biopsy, it only came to £187. I can't imagine a small dog would be that much more! I'd check your vets aren't ripping you off!
    More Than paid out pretty quickly though.

10. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

I've never bought car insurance sweetie :) I don't have a car - here's hoping by 2010 though :)

11. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

lol they are ripping me off - they rip me off everytime I go to see them, but it has to get paid as Im not able to do it myself :smilewinkgrin: It is an expensive practice and ive heard of other similar surgeries that are cheaper and similar in price :cool:

12. Guinevere13

Sounds like our last dentists! They even started charging under 16s!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice