Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I know, I know its silly.....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by CaliDog, Nov 19, 2012.

1. CaliDog

CaliDog Greedy Mummy Bear!

I know I know its a silly reason for a thread but i am quite impressed with myself today but more than that Cali.

I came and met my OH after work at 2 with pooch she had been the field and she was a bit muddy not more than usual but usually she gets a wipe and brush and she is fine........

now i am not nervous but...nervous first time owner at some things and bathing was one of those things i thought i wouldn't be able to do and be rubbish at and get it all wrong and hurt and scare Cali but today i didn't even think twice i was just like kev (my OH) bring the dog up she is having a shower (i don't have a bath) so i put i towel in the tray so she wouldn't slip and kept her collar on so he could hold her and she wasn't bad in the shower she must have loved the warm and washed her with baby shampoo (i had no dog shampoo but have read baby shampoo is ok for pooch)

Then the drying came she wasn't so good with that but we both got there in the end and am impressed that i worked up the courage to do it! And that cali was good and now she is shiny smells good and i saved myself £25 !!

Next its the claws trimming which i am pooping my self over but am sure itll be ok :eek:

2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

It's never silly to be proud ;) :)

And... I poo myself over trimming nails too! I get the clipper in position and just as I am squeezing it shut, I close my eyes! I don't know what bloody good that is going to do, if I am going to cut too short I'm going to do it whether my eyes are open or not! And I never have yet!
    Once I got a bit paranoid that Dixie's nails had gotten too long and I got a torch and shone it from the otherside, right up at her nail and could just see where the quick ended, put my nail there and held still while I grabbed the clippers and cut :)

Never had a bleeding claw yet and Dixie is now 5 :p Dave's claws are white so dead easy. But... I still shut my eyes for the last bit :eek: :lol:

3. Muze

Muze PetForums VIP

It took me many years to gain the confidence to clip nails, especially black ones, I'd still rather do 20 miles of pavement walking or pay a vet nurse to do it :rolleyes:

I think that kind of handling is something you just have to learn at your own pace IYKWIM. IMO, the fact that you worry means you care for the animals' welfare.

I remember a guy in college who was super confident but he regularly used to make claws/feet bleed on all kinds of animals :(
    I'd rather be cautious than careless :)

4. CaliDog

Oh god i didn't even think about the black ones Cali has a few black claws! oh poo....i may just file then down a bit :p :eek:

5. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

It's not silly at all. I was silly nervous at taking Molly on her first lead walk and I've yet to bath her in the house. I have managed to hose her in the garden in the summer but I know I have to tackle soon, she's bound to roll in something now I've commented - sod's law!

6. CaliDog

i didnt plan it i knew if i did i would put it off i just thought am doing it now and did it i just took loads of treats and she loved it :)

7. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I have to admit- never thought of putting a towel down on the bath! I am trying that when I give Chase his first bath (want to get him used to them as I'm convinced he is gonna be a mud magnet).

8. CaliDog

someone an here gave me the tip cant remember who though :eek: i had to cause i had to shower her and she would of slipped in the tray :eek: :)

9. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

When I bath Dave or Dixie they just stand really still in the bath while I shower them. But I am going to use the towel idea for Chase :)

10. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

When I do Millies I put her in the bath (No mess ;))-you could have Cali sitting in Shower? Or on a towel?

Millies are all black :-( I take any length off then take little bits until im happy.

I use normal human nail clippers.

Then I use a normal sturdy nail file to smooth them down or take any excess off which im to nervous to use clippers for,

Just go for it - Take your time and keep it calm so dog stays calm.

Millie knows 'paw' and 'other paw' so we do a few of these to begin with where I feel her paws etc so not going straight in with clippers ;)

The more you trim them the more the quick receeds - You can also buy stuff I think to help recede it.

I try have a nibble at Millies nails weekly :)

Good luck

11. CaliDog

Thanks am going to need it! am gunna file them first see how i get on with that :scared:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice