Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

I just wanted to take a moment...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sairy, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Never join breeding groups on FB. I do very well to stay well away from the stupidity in those groups, people breeding literally anything and everything, and very few with health tested dogs or anything.

There was another one too for Dog snobs, but basically they was just a group full of nasty kids taking the piss out of other people/their dogs. I did join in the more sensible discussions, but got kicked out later for what I assume is lack of contribution as I went quiet. But again, the advice given out there was scary sometimes with a lot of talk about culling good old Fido if they're not quite what you want etc.

This forum is as decent as it is because our members are good people with lots of knowledge between us. I guess forums like this are also aimed at more than your 'average joe' dog owner too. You have to be pretty obsessed with dogs to actually join a forum, especially when FB groups are so easily accessible for the majority.

Boxerluver30, Teddy-dog and Sairy like this.
  2. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

I love PF and the people on here you get real advise when needed and not judged.

FB never used it, never will.

3. Boxerluver30

Boxerluver30 Hound Lover

I love being on here as well, so much good advice on here relating to multiple topics and I have found everyone friendly and welcoming to me when I first joined :). I always worry about how I come across at first and fitting into a group so the warm welcome I got really helped me feel comfortable here. A lot of you have been supportive when I've been having issues (I would especially like to say a big thank you to everyone who helped me calm down when I had the problem with my dad on Christmas day)and I've got lots of good advice from just generally reading threads and my own threads I have created. Plus I love everyones dogs and cats on here and always love looking at the picture threads (and posting pics of my own). So yeah on the whole I really like it here, the community of people are great and of course the moderators for keeping everything in line and running smoothly :)

Sairy and SusieRainbow like this.
  4. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

I was a member of there too...felt it was very playground bully territory in many cases tbh.
    I too was booted once they had their "cull"...it seemed that unless you were willing to take part in the "bitchfest" then you weren't allowed to continue being a member :rolleyes:

5. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

The same person I was arguing with yesterday has just said that his dog has zero drive for food and so he trained her through "love, respect and a good bond", rather than "cheating with treats". :rolleyes:

I'm leaving well alone. I obviously cheated when I trained my dog.

SusieRainbow likes this.
  6. Boxerluver30

Boxerluver30 Hound Lover

Sounds like a fruitloop! I don't bother with people like that either, they obviously don't want to hear anything else and think they are right and everyone should bow down to their mighty knowledge :rolleyes:

Sairy likes this.
  7. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I had a neighbour who said something similar when I was digging about in my pocket and came out with some dog treats.
    "I don't believe in giving treats to my dog when he comes back, I train him to come back, treats are just cheating and they only come back because you have a treat"

I watched gleefully as her dog sailed over the horizon and refused flatly to come back whist mine was sat on my feet looking for her treat.

Who cares thought I, mine came back.

Boxerluver30, SusieRainbow and Sairy like this.
  8. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

I thought that group had been deleted. I left before then however. Full of mad Americans who argued that it was their human right to crop their dogs ears and what the dog felt by having plastic surgery was irrelevant because that was their preferred look. Apparently natural ears are ugly and if you disagree you are an animal rights fanatic.

StormyThai likes this.
  9. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Yep! That's about it. I think it did change admins at one point which made it a tad more bearable as the discussions weren't all bad, but I hated the screenshotting of outside people/dogs just to be ripped apart.

You obviously did. Do the Crufts events organisers and managers realise you cheated your way there? ;)

Oh god yes, the amount of people jumping on you for having another opinion and declaring you was an animal rights activist was staggering. So immature.

labradrk and Sairy like this.
  10. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

Most of the FB groups are ridiculous, the mods seem to think they're doing an actual job :confused:
    I love the ones that only want happy, fluffy posts, or they'll ban you immediately, and the nail one where you're not allowed to mention anything about paw health in general or it gets locked :rolleyes:

I joined an Old Tyme Bulldog group and had to leave, they were such an awful bunch of people!
    Someone wanted a "quick fix" so basically everyone told him to alpha roll and pin down his PUPPY, because he didn't like what it was doing. Somehow I came out of that discussion looking like I'm a terrible person because I don't hit puppies :Hilarious

Sairy likes this.
  11. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

From the day I got my horse, I taught him to come to call whilst in the field for a digestive biscuit or two.

A woman who had walked up to the field with me, to get her horse, gave me a stern lecture about 'paying' animals to do what they should do anyway.

After a few attempts to call her horse, she had to wade through deep mud at the gate, then across a fifteen acre field to get him.

But, of course, she was right. :)

Sairy, SusieRainbow, ouesi and 2 others like this.
  12. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Did she feel the same about humans who get a wage for working rather than volunteering. :rolleyes:

13. Boxerluver30

Boxerluver30 Hound Lover

I think if we had tried to train Samson without any treats/rewards he would of given us the human equivalent of an F off :Hilarious. Seriously all these people harping on about it being bribery/cheating, would they go to work without getting paid? I think not :rolleyes:

14. ouesi

ouesi Guest

When I first joined online forums I was going to convert the world to a better way of training :D
    Now, a good 8 to 10 years later, I've grown up a bit :oops: and I don't feel the need to prove anything to anyone. I think a lot of my arguing before was a normal part of solidifying my own ideas about training, testing them, and proving them.

But also, things have changed dramatically in a good way IME.
    When I first joined here, on this forum, I had members tell me my dogs were "overtrained" because they check in with me before bombing off and could be called off a chase which apparently is unnatural...? One posted lamented that I would be better off with a plastic wind-up toy :Penguin
    Part of it was an assumption that any training that was that effective had to be harsh, but part of it was total confusion on what humane, effective training looks like and can achieve.

This was a comment I got 6 years ago in cat chat when I dared suggest one could clicker train cats.
    "Tbh, I am not sure why anyone would want to teach their cat pointless tricks like that:confused: What is the purpose of it?:confused: Just a way of demonstrating that humans can control cats and make them do their bidding perhaps?

Training cats to stay off worktops (if you can), not to scratch the furniture or the carpets, to use litter trays, not to scratch when you play with them, etc, all have a sensible purpose to them. Just teaching them tricks does not. And note it is nearly always Americans who seem obsessed with this kind of training, which says quite a lot about their attitude towards their pets I think!

Why not get a dog if you want an animal you can train to "jump through hoops" on command?"

Yet today there is a thread in cat chat about clicker trained cats, and that thrills me to no end :Cat:D

So these days I don't feel the same need to prove anything. I already have. My dogs already have, my cats have, my horses have.... It's just fun to watch others experience the same success :)

15. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

I still get that now...however I could not care any less...#shutupandtrain is my mantra these days, my dogs behaviour does all the talking for me :p

Sairy and ouesi like this.
  16. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Yup :D
    Nothing more ironic than the person who's dog is out of control telling me with my in control dog how I should or shouldn't be training :D These days I just sit back and smile to myself.

I've told this story before of being in a class (that I later left) when Bates was much younger and a bigger *******. The guy next to me had a young doberman leaping and lunging at the end of his leash being a typical idiot juvenile dobe. I was rapid fire feeding Bates cheese to keep him from telling the doberman exactly what he thought about that sort of OTT behavior.
    The dobe's owner looks over at me with my "calm" dog sitting in front, focused on me, and says "well if I had cheese my dog would behave too, he'll do anything for cheese." So I reach in to my back pocket and hand him several packets of string cheese. "Oh no, no thanks, I want him working for me, not for food." Uh huh... how's that working out for you right about now?

This was a good 8 years ago. These days, I don't have to rapid fire treat Bates when another dog is being stupid, most of the time he just looks at me, I say a quiet "ignore" which can sometimes just be a tiny shake of my head, and he's done. He does check though, just in case one day I say "sure bud, go tell that dog off" :D

When you're dealing with your 2 year old idiot dog rapid fire treating them wondering if this is going to be your life for the next 12 years, it's hard not to get defensive. But now with a 10 year old dog who's totally bombproof and who I can "talk" with with just a nod or a facial expression, it's just such a joy... No room for defensiveness. Just enjoying mah dawg :D

Kimmikins and Sairy like this.
  17. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Sairy likes this.
  18. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

So true...our robot dogs are just awesome...yes siree :Pompus

Sairy and ouesi like this.
  19. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

It's hard enough to persaude George to do it with treats. It would be bloody impossible without!

Me: Sit
    Him: Why?
    Me: For this yummy treat.
    Him: Ok then.

Doing it without the treat:

Me: Sit
    Him: Why?
    Me: Because I want you to?
    Him: Yeah and?
    Me: ermmm........

Magyarmum, Sairy and Boxerluver30 like this.
  20. Boxerluver30

Boxerluver30 Hound Lover

Yep this is Samson, he has a what's in it for me attitude to pretty much everything. He is pretty good at doing stuff he has already been trained to do without always rewarding. However teach him something new and absolutely I need rewards (always food, he doesn't see toys or praise as rewarding enough). And he is a lot harder when outside, so I always need to proof it in the house first before going into the garden then to the park.

Sairy and Mirandashell like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice