Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

i just cant help it

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by RachyBobs, May 7, 2010.

1. RachyBobs

RachyBobs PetForums VIP

British Short Hair kitten on pets4homes up the road from me £20? Ive emailed and tried to ring, hopefully I can have the lil beauty!!

2. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

Good luck but i doubt they will be BSH kittens probably moggies some numpty probs got DSH mixed up or thinks because they are british moggies they are BSH

3. RachyBobs

RachyBobs PetForums VIP

I thought that like.. ad says:

British shorthaired kitten, Ready now. Very friendly, used to dogs andf other cats

can only find out?

4. $hAzZa

$hAzZa Shan

If it wasn't BSH would you still consider getting him?:rolleyes:

5. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

you can only go and look. I wish you the best of luck sometimes you do come across a bargin.

6. RachyBobs

RachyBobs PetForums VIP

Im not sure! Ive wanted a BSH for a while but only if i could find a BSH as I already have 5 moggies :001_cool:

7. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

It will be a moggy I'm afraid.

Liz

8. RachyBobs

RachyBobs PetForums VIP

How do i tell the difference if i go and see it?

9. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

look up BSH cat profile it will tell you what to look for.

10. $hAzZa

$hAzZa Shan

Do people who have BSH let them outdoors? I want a Birman but face the issue of dealing with the outdoor needs of my current 3 moggies

11. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

some people with pedigrees still let their cats out, they are at more risk of being stolen depending on your area

12. RachyBobs

RachyBobs PetForums VIP

What do you mean? I will be allowing it to go outside eventully if i do get it

13. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

14. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Just a little word to the wise - hold off bringing in new cats for a while as you have a girl due to give birth. The last thing you need is for a new cat to either upset the new mother, or worse bring in an infection or bug that affects mum & kittens.

One does have to tread very carefully when there are young kittens in the home as there are quite a few more bugs out there for cats, than there are with dogs. And many that can't be vaccinated against.

If you want to bring in a new kitten then the best time is shortly after your girl's babies have gone to new homes. She will be missing her babies and is far more likely to accept a newcomer then.

15. $hAzZa

$hAzZa Shan

Don't worry! I've just remembered you can get microchip operated cat flaps and register particular cats to go in and out as they please :arf:

16. RachyBobs

RachyBobs PetForums VIP

I can keep volume away, down the other end of the house and have a crate for new baby, miles away from my girly. Or.. new kitten could go to OH's mums until babies are here and safe :D If it is a BSH for £20 i cant let that oppurtunity go?

17. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

i say go and look at kitten if ya can and then take it from their

18. RachyBobs

RachyBobs PetForums VIP

yer thanks. the house big enough to seperate. i have a few spare living rooms which i can put a tray in and make it perfect for her to have babies in :)

19. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

the way i see it is, its your choice and as you say you have a big enough house. I know you have to be careful with kittens but lets face it Volume is a moggie and theirs plenty cats had kittens outside in the elements and they are fine, I perosnally think you have to be that bit more careful with pedigree animals.

20. dharma66

dharma66 PetForums Senior

What want to look for to tell if it is BSH is registration papers for the queen, and the name of the sire sonthat you can check him out.

If there is no pedigree from one of the organisations (GCCF, FB or TICA) then it is not a BSH.

The current going rate for a BSH kitten is £350-450, so for £20, I very much doubt you are going to see any pedigree certificates.

All the best if you do, but if some is selling the cat as a BSH without such papers, they are (perhaps unwittingly) committing a crime (misrepresentation of goods).

Also, the cat should be at least 13 weeks old, vaccinated, wormed and usually with 4-6 weeks insurance.

Finally, you reall need to listen to mellowma. To reduce the risk to your queen and her kittens, you would have to isolate the new cat, not just keep it seperate. This means you wood have to ensure there is no connection between the new cat and your queen. That means no other cats having access to the new cat, you and your other humans makng sure you don't cross contaminate. So sterilising hands, changing top clones layer etc when moving from one cat to the other.

If it is a proper pedigree breeder selling the kitten, then they may agree to keep the kitten until our kittens are rehomed, if you pay expenses and insurance (maybe)! But as that would cost considerably more than the £20 asking price, do have my doubts.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice