Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I just bought a kitten help!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Robertinio, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Robertinio

Robertinio PetForums Newbie

He is meowing everywhere and I and my familiy can't sleep or leave him where the wires are. This is super exhausting! Please, help anyone, this is urgent and I don't know what to do.

2. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

How old is he?
    How long have you had him?
    Where did he come from (as in farm, breeder, family home etc, not what part of the country)
    What, how often and how much are you feeding him?
    How many litter trays does he have?
    Where are you wanting him to sleep?
    Do you have heating on at night?

ebonycat and chillminx like this.
  3. Robertinio

1. two days
    2. breeder
    3. he has food in his bowl all the time
    4. one litter box
    5. in my bed or in his bed
    6. yes i have heating on
    edit: he is 9 weeks old

4. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

Welcome. How old is he? Kitten is feeling all alone without his mum and siblings. He will settle but 2 days isn’t very long. If you haven’t cat-proofed your home, including the wires, you’ll need to get that done. Some cats just love chewing wires. You say he always has food, so I’m guessing that means dry food? Wet food is much better for him.

Lurcherlad, ebonycat and chillminx like this.
  5. Robertinio

and how do i cat proof my wires?

6. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

You can buy cable covers. In the meantime try to keep them out only when you need them, or tuck them behind furniture. Get training him now to chew on toys instead.

7. Robertinio

and how do i keep up with the stress? he s 9 weeks old and he s moewing all the time and its been really stresfull because i did not expect it being like this. Now he is sleeping in the bed, he just ate and i don't know if he will sleep all night, and if he wakes up and meows, i don't really know what to do with him. Any advice? Were your cats like this?
    edit: i forgot to ask, how do i tell him that he's doing wrong things?

8. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

It’s completely normal new kitten behaviour, try not to worry. He will settle though lots of cats love to run around at night time. When he wakes up I’d talk/ sing to him and get him lots of cuddles, if he likes cuddles. Try to keep things calm as you want him to go back to sleep. Tomorrow play with him lots before bedtime, to tire him out, then give him his dinner. Wand toys are great fun. To train him to stop behaviour you don’t want happening you need to distract him, kickeroo toys get good reviews.

“Baby blues” are normal too. In a few days you won’t be able to imagine life without him!

Lurcherlad, ebonycat and chillminx like this.
  9. Robertinio

what do you mean by baby blues? and also, how often should i feed the kitten? He's 9 weeks old and I don't really know how much food or how often he needs it. And yesterday, he fell asleep with me but after an hour or so he woke up and started to be playfull and scracthed me and things like that and he would't let me sleep so I got him out of the room and he slept in the other rooms with his toys, bed and food. Is that ok to do in case this happens?
    edit: and what do I do with him when i have to do work and stuff and he keeps interrupting me?

#9 Robertinio, Jan 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  10. LittleEms

LittleEms PetForums Senior

Kittens should be fed as much as they want to eat. If you think he is hungry, put food down until he is full.
    A small kitten needs to play and as he has no littermates it is up to you to provide that. Have a good long play session before you all settle to sleep and he will sleep for longer.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  11. ebonycat

ebonycat PetForums VIP

Feed him as much ‘wet’ cat food as he will eat.
    Don’t feed him any dry food.

He’s a young baby he needs you to play with him, buy some wand toys (they are toys on a stick with string attached with a toy on the end) & interact with him, you hold the stick end & dangle the toy in the air so he can reach up & bat it, catch it. Drag the toy along the floor so he chases it.
    When you’ve finished playing with the wand toy put it away in a cupboard so that he can’t get to it.
    If you leave it out so that he can get it himself he could really hurt himself. So always put it away when you’ve finished playing.

Scrunch up balls of paper & throw them across the floor so that he can chase them & bat them around the room.

Buy a Kickeroo cat toy ( from pets at home or other pet shops ), then when you are playing with him if he goes to bite your hands place the kickeroo toy in his paws. He will then learn that hands are not to be bitten & will instead bite & kick the kickeroo toy.

I will tag @chillminx as she’ll have more useful advice for you.

chillminx and Lurcherlad like this.
  12. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I take it this was a spur of the minute purchase with no thought given to the needs of a baby animal.
    Poor little chap he has been taken from his mother /littermates and everything he has ever known and is now in a home which sounds to be totally ill prepared for his needs.
    I don't mean to sound harsh but I do wonder whether you have taken on more than you are able to cope with.
    This list may help you to sort out his immediate needs

https://www.thesprucepets.com/preparing-for-new-kitten-552273

As for food he will need to be fed little and often ,I suggest a minimum of 5 times a day and given as much as he wants Kittens have small stomachs so cant eat a lot in each meal but will surprise you in just how much they need .Wet food is best ,dry food is habit forming and not really good for them so start as you hope to go on and don't introduce it at all.

You do need to set aside plenty of quality playtime with him to help him to become a well adjusted sociable adult and if you don't want him sleeping with you at night you need to settle him with all he needs litter tray / food comfy bed and some toys in a suitable safe cosy room .
    You may need to sleep with him in that room for a few nights until he gets used to it.

Calvine, O2.0, chillminx and 3 others like this.
  13. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Your kitten is displaying perfectly normal kitten behaviour. He is very young (kittens should be 12 weeks old minimum before they leave their breeder) and he suddenly finds himself alone, with people he doesn't know, in a house he doesn't know. He will cry for his mum, his siblings and the people he knew. The good news is that this stage does not usually last for long, and he will settle down once the feeling of loss dims and he starts to know you and the new household better.

Please DO NOT change the kittens food, he should be eating the same as he was eating at the breeders. Changing the diet of a kitten as soon as he gets to a new home is an absolute recipe for disaster. Allow the kitten to settle for at least two weeks before making changes. What was the breeder feeding and how often, they really should of told you all of this. Dry food can be left down all the time and wet food should be offered at least 5 times a day for a kitten of that age. A kitten can consume more food per day than an adult cat. If the kitten is looking at you and screaming, or looking at his bowl and screaming he is hungry, so put food down, whether it is an 'official' time or not.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  14. Robertinio

thanks for the advice guys! I did not change the food that the breeder gave to him, and I think i decided what to do when sleeping. He has a large room with access to his food and water, a comfy bed and some toys. In the morning I always find him sleeping in there. Also, I have a question. What should I do with him when i can't be playing or staying with him, for example when im doing something important and he'll jump on me and scracth and meow.
    edit: do you guys think my method with sleeping is ok? I'll probably let him sleep with us when he will become less noisy.

15. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

He sounds like a lovely, friendly little boy. What’s his name. And a photo please!

Lots of people have a kitten room. Some even recommend that kitten lives in there for while until they are allowed in to the rest of the house. Some cats sleep in their own room all their lives. I’ve never had a kitten room, I can’t sleep without a cat or 4! It all depends on the individual.

“Baby blues” or “kitten blues” is just a term for those times when a new baby leads to a temporary depression. Sleep deprivation and the realisation that you’re completely responsible for this baby. If you search on here you’ll see it comes up quite often. Of course kittens grow up so fast so don’t miss this magical time!

It will be ok to put him in his safe room occasionally, just not for long.

chillminx likes this.
  16. OlfertKitty

OlfertKitty PetForums Junior

Try a clock wrapped in a towel for a pretend mother heartbeat, or grab your ipad or phone, go to youtube, and google 'Cat Music' music for cats...we did this for fun with our kittens and they loved it

Sleep next to the kitty on the floor

17. OlfertKitty

OlfertKitty PetForums Junior

You have to train him to sit on your lap, or besides your computer. My Dad does work that can't be interrupted, and there's one cat on the top of his chair, one cat on his lap, and one cat on his desk.

They don't bother him, they are just 'with him working'...so maybe have 'The work bed' that he can lay in while you are working and watch you type.

18. Robertinio

is it ok to leave him in the kitty room and in the hallway with the toys in the night? Just until he gets more used to us and sleeps.
    edit: his name is Freddie, I'll take a photo of him in a moment

19. Robertinio

I'm trying to do exactly that but he thinks that my fingers are playing with him and ocasionally tries to play with the cables so i can't really do that

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice