UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we just went into our neighbours to see her, her kitten and dog with my sister and told about how we're looking at getting a mainecoon [off someone on here] and she loves maine coons herself so said she'd love to see it BUT told us an advert went up in the shop in the village for a Ragdoll female, 1 years old....pedigree with papers.

The reason its being sold on is due to the wife wanting to keep it in and the husband doesnt.

Now i would jump at the chance to take this kitty, but surely if its full pedigree they should get in touch with its breeder who would take it back? What do people think i should do, i'm off too work in like half an hour and im gonna pop by the general stores and get the number, but she is selling it, not giving it away for free, so what would happen if i took this little thing and then contacted its breeder who wanted it back?

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Oooh lucky you! :D

Go for it I say!! From what I've heard, Ragdolls really are not safe to be let outdoors so you would certainly be rescuing it :)

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oooh lucky you! :D

Go for it I say!! From what I've heard, Ragdolls really are not safe to be let outdoors so you would certainly be rescuing it :)
But if it IS a full pedigree, why havent they contacted its breeder to take it back and if i paid for it and then had it and contacted the breeder and she wanted it back, i would be down on money

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
But if it IS a full pedigree, why havent they contacted its breeder to take it back and if i paid for it and then had it and contacted the breeder and she wanted it back, i would be down on money
I'm sure the breeder would let you keep her if you could offer her a loving stable home? :confused: The cat has already been paid for by previous owners.

·
Registered
9,911 Posts
You have to remember that not all breeders are responsible breeders but also they may be other issues with cat as not all people are honest in their ads. If you want the cat then just be careful and go in with your eyes opens and maybe get vet records and get a health check with your own vet before proceeding.

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
well i certainly wouldnt put you off this ragdoll but i will say some things about it.
make sure you get the transfer form signed over to you.
sadly some breeders cant take cats back (although i always take mine back at any age), im sure the breeder would let you have her as you are a good home.
this is how i would play the situation.
1, find out who the breeder is by looking at the pedigree and transfer form, this way you can ask the breeder before you get the ragdoll.

2, get the vet medical history, the owner will have to do this but the receptionist will print it out for her to give you.

3, if it doesnt work out the owner may take her back and refund your money but you will have to have this in writing first otherwise if she changes her mind and goes back on her word you have a legal document which you can enforce.

4, take some photos and put on here lol, would love to see her.

finally ragdolls are very laid back so check her temperament, i dont think you will have any problems with your cats with a ragdoll.
let us know how you get on. xx:)

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Long as I'm armed with enough info I'm sure it'll go well. How much would changing details cost? Cos she's asking £100 and I would say I'd pay less what its gonna gonna cost to change details

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Personally I think the reason for rehoming is a bit suspect, this is a pedigree cat so the likelyhood is that the breeder would have asked what their intentions were re in or out before they bought it.

Plus, to just get rid of it because you can't agree is suspect, however 'the wife wanting to keep it in and the husband doesnt' is a much more pallatable reason than 'it has behavioural problems' or 'it has a recurrent medical condition that is wallet strippingly expensive' so I would want the cats medical history and to see how the cat behaves in its current home.

If you still want it and you are sure everything is above board then you could drop the breeder a line just to let them know that the cat has a new home. I'm sure they would be happy to hear from you and relieved that the cat has found a good home.

Let us know how you get on :).

·
Master of the Whingey Cat.
7,885 Posts
I would go and meet the little lady and see what you think. If you feel she is in a healthy state and that she seems content enough in her home then there'd be no reason to not take her. (If she seems to have some ailments, and is nervous, or there is a distinct smell of cat wee in the house for example it could be that they're wanting to get rid of her for other reasons i.e. anxiety/ house soiling...).

If you feel you could take her on, regardless of any issues, however, I have no doubt you'll be offering her a very loving home and she should be happy living with you. I would maybe ask the lady if you could have a trial period first, though, to ensure she gets on with your resident cats...

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I called the mobile but no answer so sent a text asking if she is available, if they say yes I will ask in advance for vet records. I don't want her going to just anyone, specially someone who would let her out so can see me coming home with her sooner then expected haha bloody softy me! Oh and she's 8 months old and blue melted/mitted the advert wasnt clear to me as the writing was too posh haha

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Worst thing is I'm about to start work and don't finish til half 9 so guess what's gonna be on my mind all day? Haha day off tomorrow though and the weekend so have a few days spare to get her if she's available

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
an 8 months old blue mitted, gosh im surprised she is only £100. at this age she could easy sell for £300.
anyway regarding your costs.....transfer to your name is £12 (gccf).
to change microchip details, if shes microchipped is now £15 ( i think but dont quote me on that).
neuter cost if shes not already been done.:)

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
an 8 months old blue mitted, gosh im surprised she is only £100. at this age she could easy sell for £300.
anyway regarding your costs.....transfer to your name is £12 (gccf).
to change microchip details, if shes microchipped is now £15 ( i think but dont quote me on that).
neuter cost if shes not already been done.:)
Advert states she is neutered so that costs out, so I could offer £75 for it to be reasonable to both parties, or £80 if I dont have the odd fiver. I think I would pay the max but if I gotta pay more for transferring its only fair

·
Registered
39,165 Posts
good luck, if shes still available, i hope shes been neutured or anyone could buy her and try breeding her,:( lets hope you get there first and fall in love with her.:D

·
Registered
39,165 Posts
Advert states she is neutered so that costs out, so I could offer £75 for it to be reasonable to both parties, or £80 if I dont have the odd fiver. I think I would pay the max but if I gotta pay more for transferring its only fair
glad shes neutered thats good,:)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.