Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I have my tank, now some questions!

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by PoisonGirl, Jul 11, 2009.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Ok so I collected my 4ft tank. I will be ordering my metal stand next weekend. Meanwhile I will be planning and starting to make a hood and a cupboard to fit round the metal stand (to hide wires and shelve external filter).

I am going to get rid of my plastic tunnel and ornamental bridge and go completely natural with this tank, using rocks and bogwood.

I am quite interested in using 3D background, but I don't know if I can get a piece large enough to not have a join.. How would I join it so it doesn't look horrible?
    And could I make holes in it and attach my heater to it as long as the heater isn't touching it?

I haven't ever had a metal frame before, I take it a 4ft will be ok but does it need support in the middle of what?

There probably was more questions but I can't remember them just now :D

x

2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I might just buy a hood. Does anyone have one of these Aquarium Hoods in Black that they can show me a photo of please?

x

3. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

I have a 3D background in my tank which is two pieces joined together. If you want to see what it looks like there's a pic on my profile of the tank :)
    You could maybe hide the join with some tall plants? I don't know if they make 3D backgrounds big enough so that you wouldn't have a join... but if they do I imagine they're very expensive! :p

I'm so jealous, I love starting up a new tank from scratch - make sure you post some pics when you start setting it up! :D

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Hi magpie your tank looks really nice! :)
    What kind of plants are they do you know?

My gravel is a bit darker than yours, but that is definitely the colour of background that I want, where did you get it? I'm sure pets at home only sell black stuff.

I am going to start an album soon with pics of my tank.
    Hopefully getting some wood today to start making the cabinet to go round the metal frame.

x

5. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Thanks hon! :D

The tall grassy plant is vallis I think - I'm not very good with plants, I just bung a few different ones in and then buy more of the ones that survive! :p

The tank is second-hand and the background was already in it when I bought it, but I think its a Juwel one as it looks alot like this JUWEL BACKGROUND ROCK 450

6. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Cool, thanks. I might save up and get a big bit.. Depends on how long it takes me to make the cabinet and get other stuff :)

x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice