Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I have had enough of this puppy advert!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by newfiesmum, Jan 1, 2012.

1. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I have just sent an email to Universal tv channel as follows:

Dear Sirs,

I love Universal channel, it has nearly all my favourite programmes. However, there is something that has been annoying me all over the christmas period and I am finally motivated to write.

In between your programmes, you have been showing an advertisement where a young man is giving a surprise present of a puppy, beautiful golden retriever, to some woman who so obviously does not want it.

When every right thinking animal lover campaigns endlessly that it is wrong to give animals as presents, especially as surprise presents, you are showing this as though it is absolutely fun. It isn't. What is going to happen to a puppy given this way? He has two choices, if he is lucky. He will be shoved into an overflowing animal shelter, or he will be advertised for sale or even worse for free, to any idiot who comes along thinking he might make a good surprise present for his own girlfriend. In the worst case, he will be put to sleep because someone can't be bothered to rehome him.

The internet sites such as Free ads, Preloved, Pets4Homes and other classified advertising sites are at this moment inundated with puppies, being sold on - unwanted christmas presents. And here is a popular tv channel condoning the practice of treating these beautiful, living creatures as objects.

I am disgusted and would be obliged if you would remove this advert and think carefully before promoting such an irresponsible idea again.

Yours faithfully,

I don't know if anyone else has seen this ad, but my stomach churns every time they show it and I have had enough.

I don't suppose it will do any good, but it may just make someone stop and think next year. If anyone wants to join me in my protest, the email address is:

viewer.enquiries@nbcuni.com

2. Eithne

Eithne PetForums Member

Its a clip from one of the episodes of Rookie Blue and I don't think it is intentionally promoting the giving of puppies as presents IMO.

3. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Haven't seen it :confused:

4. Eithne

Eithne PetForums Member

From what I remember it's either an ad for Universal's christmas shows with clips of different programmes or an ad for rookie blue.

5. SpringerHusky

Must be part of this clip then?
    [youtube_browser]Y5cW7fZ_kKc[/youtube_browser]

I rarely watch tv so i've no clue :eek:

6. shetlandlover

shetlandlover PetForums VIP

Ohhhh its from Rookie blue, he brings the dog home I think he finds it on the job (Police officer) and the girl (who's his housemate & girlfriend) isn't to impressed.

7. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

I've never watched rookie blue....bit off topic there

8. Eithne

Eithne PetForums Member

Rookie Blue is pretty good, I quite enjoy watching it. You should give it a whirl, they are currently repeating Season 1 and 2 on Universal.

9. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Let me know when they repeat the pilot.....or do you reckon it's pretty easy to follow?

10. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

No I do not want to join a pointless protest thank you. Especially when the protest is as a result of jumping to a conclusion and assuming it is an advert rather than a trailer.

What a waste of time from "the professionally outraged"...... :rolleyes:

It is almost as pointless as your signature.

We better all stop using collars and leads on our dogs as of course we do not use them on our children............:rolleyes:

11. Eithne

Eithne PetForums Member

12. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Intentional or not, that is precisely what it is doing. It is being shown as an ad for Universal channel, not for Rookie Blue, and it will no doubt lead some idiot to think a surprise puppy would be a good gift.

13. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Yes it is, but all you see is him getting the puppy out from under his coat and her giving it a dirty look, complete with christmas trees.

If they showed more of it, and advertised as the tv programme, not Universal, it might be acceptable. As it is, it is not. The other tv programmes they advertise clearly state which programme is being advertised. This is just a bit that someone obviously thought was good for advertising christmas programmes in general, with a slogan something like "giving is universal".

Nothing whatever to do with the show it was clipped from.

I see no excuse for it, no matter what anybody else thinks.

14. Eithne

Eithne PetForums Member

I have to disagree its a 5 second clip in the middle of numerous other clips for shows, if my memory serves me right, showing the guy turning around and holding a puppy.

I think you are reading way too much into this clip TBH, do you complain about every clip shown on telly where a small animal, puppy, kitten is possibly given as a present?

15. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Yes, I do if it is not part of the story, as this one isn't. It is only part of a story if you happen to watch Rookie Blue, which I don't.

And it is never shown among numerous other clips for shows; it is shown as the very last thing before the next programme and has only been shown over christmas.

16. Eithne

Eithne PetForums Member

As i had pointed out previously, i wasn't sure if it was an ad in amongst a number of different clips or a standalone ad. It was part of a storyline from a particular episode and from the 5 second clip shown it shows the guy turning around holding a puppyand the girl not looking impressed. Now people may read different things into that clip, It does not imo scream here's a puppy I bought for you.

17. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Had you never seen the programme from which it is taken, and had seen it just like this with the slogan "giving is universal" perhaps you might think differently. Obviously on the tv programme she is not being given the dog, but this slogan changes that.

Either way, if I can see it as I have so can somebody trying to think of a good christmas present.

18. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

In principle I agree - puppies as spur of the moment surprise presents is a big no no and I'd hate to think that this clip gave someone the idea to buy a pup for christmas without thinking it through properly.

BUT, you can't expect TV to stop showing clips/adverts/trailers/tvshows that contain something you don't agree with...for example, many disagree with kissing (and more) before marriage, but you wouldn't expect TV to stop 'promoting' casual relationships in their adverts/shows.

Then again, when there is mass viewer outrage sometimes adverts get modified or taken off TV. So good luck to you but I won't be joining in :)

19. SpringerHusky

[​IMG]
    Best hop over to Disney and complain about Lady and the tramp, as it makes me want to get a springer pup (yes I know lady is a cocker) with a big bow and present her to hubby :biggrin: (in fairness, it's his dream dog and we want springers)

Honestly I don't read much into these things and if I saw the advert i'd probarlley just ignore it i've never seen the program either. I agree with Helbo though :)

20. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Perhaps you are right - that particular scene in Lady and the Tramp should be removed but it wasn't put on as an advert, was it. It was part of the story.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice