Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I have found a bat today

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by BubblegumQueen, Jul 15, 2009.

1. BubblegumQueen

BubblegumQueen PetForums Member

While my partner was walking our dog he found a bat on the floor, he thought it was dead as you dont normal find them. He poked it with the dog lead and little bat protested about it but didnt move. So he brought it home cuped in his hands.
    I called the RSPCA strait away they told me to take him (i just call it a boy i dunno what sex it is) it a vet they sugested one nearest to me. So i call the vets and they said " No we dont treat them they carry to many desises and infections. I told them that the RSPCA told me to call them. They said its a new policy and we wont treat them.
    So i called the RSPCA back told them the above and they said we will get some one out to collect it, it should be tonight but if not it will be in the morning.
    Poor little bat he must be poorly as you dont find them in the day.My partner said that when he poked it it appeared that he had a whole in his wing. I havent looked at it as i dont want to handle him.
    I carnt belive they havent collected him today i called them at 4.
    I have offered him a few drops of water which he has had some. Also put him in a box in the shead, as i thought it would be better than in the house as outside there will be more familiar noises so he wont be to distressed.

Have i done right ? I havent offered him any food as i dont know what they would eat.

2. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

This might help but I have no idea how reliable it is:
    How to Feed a Pet Bat | eHow.com
    I had no idea people would even consider keeping them as pets but I know you're just fostering him as such.

3. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

you sound like you have done everything right! RSPCA always take forever to sort things out makes me so angry :(
    They are feed wax worms or maggots at the wildlife hospital i help at!

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

5. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Wonder if DD knows anything about them she helps out in a wild animal sanctuary

6. BubblegumQueen

Thanx i think i will get an old lid off a jar and put some kitchen roll in it and then at least i know if he wants a drink in the night he can get some as for food i dont have mealworms so im hopeing they are going to pick him us firt thing int the morning.

7. BubblegumQueen

I have just looked at the bat conservation and i am convined this bat is a baby he was grey on his tummy and not as fury as the other bat in the pic on the site.
    Is there anything else i can do? should i call the number on there site?

8. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

maybe you could catch some moths for it to eat?

9. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

if hes a baby i imagine he will need to feed regulary.

I think tesco do a pot of wax worms for birds not sure if that would be any good.

Oh found one a while ago, we put it in a little box and phone the rspca who said leave it in the road :cursing: but we phoned the local Wild life hospital and they took him in might be worth looking in the yellow pages for one

10. BubblegumQueen

I have found a wildlife hospital in lincoln i think i will give them a call in the morning as it dosent say they are 24 hours.
    If i am right with him being a baby the RSPCA should take him there as they seam to be the only one in the area.

11. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

I would just try ringing them as it wouldnt hurt if there is no one there!
    But would be great if there is someone to take your call

12. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Thats a good idea if there is no one that could get to the bat tonight!

13. noushka05

oh & i think if you wet cotton bud they will lick it for a drink..is that right DD?

14. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

I dont know :blush: I know nothing about bats! But from the ones i have seen they have 2 bottle top lids in with them and they have one with about 5/6 wax worms or maggots in and the other has water!
    The dont like to be laid flat they likes to be hanging from something! so im thinking with out anything in witch it can hang from its going to get stressed

#14 DevilDogz, Jul 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2009
  15. noushka05

yes ive seen it on tv they hang from pieces of cloth dont they xx

16. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Yes i love it when they hand up side down it looks soo cute LOL

17. BubblegumQueen

I've just been out to him and he is walking around in the box i have used an old pop bottle lid and put a bit of water in it and offered him some off the end of a spoon he took a drop. As for food i had a look to see if i could see anything flying about like moths and i couldnt see any i turned the outside light on and still nothing.

18. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Im sure one night with out food wont harm him, but still bless him :(:(
    Have you not heard anything back from the RSPCA, Did you try and call the Wildlife place you found!
    I really hope something is done because they do suffer with stress and i would hate for him to die in the night due to stress :(

19. BubblegumQueen

No nothing :(
    I will try the wildlife place first thing. He appears to be alot better than when we found him at 4. I am convinced hes a baby as he has velvet type fur and really short and grey tummy.

20. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Aww i cant belive you havent heard anything, well actually i can :(
    He may be a baby he may not there are a few different types of bats some smaller than others and some with different coats types.
    Please let us know what the out come is :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice