Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I have a teenager

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by McKenzie, Mar 23, 2011.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

McKenzie turned 7 months on Monday and she's suddenly become a teenager. Over the past few days she's been not listening and generally pretty manic. It's partly my fault - I think over the past month or so I've gotten a bit lax with her training and now it's coming back to bite me :eek:

Now she's heading towards being a 'grown-up' I think I need to give the training an extra push and thought it might help me if I wrote down exactly what I'd like to achieve with her over the next month or so. Luckily I have a month off work starting next week so we will have lots of time together :rolleyes:

I'd REALLY like her to start greeting people better. She has a tendancy to jump up and also try to play with people's hands rather than sitting nicely and being patted. I've worked on this on and off but haven't yet cracked it.

I'd also like to get her walking sorted when we are at the park or on the street. She just gets over-excited and goes nutty. I think I will be spending lots of time in the park 'being a tree'!

I think if I can get these two things sorted she'll be on the way to being a pretty good dog :)

2. slbrown2108

slbrown2108 PetForums Senior

good luck with this hun she may be coming upto her first season aswell if she hasnt already had one and not spayed. maisie went through the loopy stage around that age she had been the perfect puppy then became a horrible teenager not listening to what she was told and not coming back when i called her when we were out. i later discovered she was close to her first season so kept her in for a while until it passed. She has now grown outta that phase and is back to the near perfect dog. lol good luck with the training and have fun

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Thanks, I'll keep a watch out for her season :)

5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Thanks Sled dog Hotel, helpful as always :) At the moment her recall is fine if we are on the private land we often walk on, but the moment there is a dog around she loses the plot. I think I'll keep practicing when there aren't dogs around and keep her on lead when we are at the park, and then hopefully when she calms down a bit as she gets older I'll be able to progress to letting her off at the park too.

I've just changed her from WW puppy dry to Ziwipeak which is for all lifestages and I did wonder if this change might have made a difference to her behaviour, but she's still very chilled when we are home, it's just when we are out that she's mental. ETA: The WW puppy was 30% protein and the Ziwipeak is 28% so I guess it's probably not that.

#5 McKenzie, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  6. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

I think we've hit it too McKenzie. Poppy had her first season over Christmas/New year and is now almost 10 months old. Her recall off lead (on the beach) hasn't changed but she's become a right pain at bedtime.

I'm pleased to say that she's getting a bit better at loose lead walking but only on the way back, on the way out she still tugs to get where she's going. Harness - no way, she wont budge with it on, she'd rather make herself cough on her flat collar. I've looked at all the training tips and nothing works. I can put the harness on when she's running free on the beach, she seems to forget it's on, but once we start back she remembers and plonks down and wont budge!

When we first had her at just over 2 months, apart from the first 5 nights when she cried a little she has been quiet and happy enough in her crate. A couple of weeks ago she started howling/barking. Knowing she hadn't had a wee before she went to bed I came down to see a wee in her crate. It might have been an "I'm really excited you came down to see me" wee, I don't know. I took the wet blanket out, made her comfortable, went back to bed. Barking and howling continued for a couple of hours. The next night, same thing but I just went down, opened her crate door, left it open, put her in her donut bed and went back to bed. I knew nothing was wrong. Since then there have been nights of quiet interspersed with nights of barking/howling which can last up to 2 hours. I no longer put her in the crate, I leave her in the donut bed so she can make her own mind up where she sleeps. The first night I did this she chewed all the ends of the shoe rack and we came down to find wood all over the floor and we had a lovely woody poo the next morning. She was over the chewing stage a long time ago after she finished teething! Needless to say I put the shoe rack away now. I have never before had a dog sleep in my bedroom and I don't intend to start now, especially as I know she's been happy enough downstairs all these months.

She also gets too excited when people visit and I've part convinced my friend to ignore her when she comes, which she does but once my friend sits down she thinks it's then alright to call "Come on Poppy, good girl" and she makes such a fuss that Poppy gets all excited. The other visitors are son and his family and there's just no telling them at all to come in calmly and ignore her, especially the two boys aged 15 and 12 - they have two dogs of their own who have never been trained in anything :rolleyes:: and think it's quite funny when their Bichon (Poppy's sister) digs and scratches at your clothes, even when you turn your back, to get your attention.

I'm hoping that now she's been spayed, coupled with the fact that she's a bit older, that she might settle down.

Please keep posting how it's going, I'd be very interested to know how it goes.

7. smudgebiscuit

smudgebiscuit PetForums Member

We too have hit teeenage stage ith our 9 month old springer molly. her re-call wasn't great anyway but now when you blow the whistle instead of her coming back to you it kind of sets her off into a crazy run around mood!! Also has started chewing our stuff a bit more-socks are all over the house & last night she had my mobile in her chops-she's never done that before. I thought she would've had her season by now & keep checking for any signs :eek: but as far as i can tell nothing has happened...was hoping it will calm her down a bit when it finally happens?? :tongue_smilie:

#7 smudgebiscuit, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  8. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

We hit it around that age and now we're going thro it again:(

Madam is really feeling her feet and taking liberties. When I look back I can see where the boundaries were pushed. It was v subtle and like a plonker, I didnt pay attention.

So sorry to say it guys but I think it may be something that keeps popping up rather than just teenage - Heidi has just turned 2:eek:

9. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Aaarrrggghhh don't tell us that Mum2Heidi! :eek:

But seriously, I'm probably exaggerating a bit. Yes she's been a PITA when we've been out recently, but she's hardly the devil dog. On the whole she's a lovely little thing.

And after all, why did we get dogs if we didn't want to be kept on our toes? :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice