UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And messed it right up. IV been out of work for 2years now due to mental health that iv overcome. (OH a full time lorry driver) but want part time work to get out and build my confidence, but as soon as the questions start my brain literally wipes, I can't think or answer and basically looked like an idiot, its just cashier work for local shop. I don't no how to get my confidence back, I was worried id say something stupid, turns out if id of said anything that would of helped, so angry with myself.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm happy to do anything, ideally shop work, but just panic at interviews. I'm in a littleish town so the jobs here get alot of applicants.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes im fine, its just the interview part that's the problem, my nerves just get the better of me. I have a paper round and used to work at pets at home and do Avon before I had my son but when I lost him I had a breakdown so been out of work quite a while its really affected my confidence

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
could you get a friend to practise with you. they could ask you interview questions and you have to answer them.

if you google interview questions lots of the common ones will come up so you can sort of prepare yourself for what you will be asked.

·
Still missing my boys
42,320 Posts
Nurseries, as in garden centers are usually fairly good places to work for a lowish stress environment, and they usually take on lots of temporary staff in the spring.

If you have any near, you could go and put you name forward, incase you don't get anything before then.

Once you have a job, even if it's temporary, it may be easier to get another :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did to a side note when put in application form explaining why, but yes offering to do some free trial days to prove myself is an excellent idea, thankyou :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks, brilliant ideas, didn't think to google questions and have lots of nurserys and garden centres around, il send in a cv

·
Registered
26,620 Posts
sorry todays interview didn't go too well, but you never know...

good luck for any future ones though :)

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
Whilst you are looking maybe some voluntary work would build your confidence? Best of luck, maybe that one interview didn't go so well but you got over the hurdle of the first one so it will get a little easier

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I agree with all the advice given :) For me the positive thing is , that you got an interview :) That in itself is no mean feat nowadays i think you've done really well. Your confidence will come back , just takes a little time. Wishing you all the best Biggreys .

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
And messed it right up. IV been out of work for 2years now due to mental health that iv overcome. (OH a full time lorry driver) but want part time work to get out and build my confidence, but as soon as the questions start my brain literally wipes, I can't think or answer and basically looked like an idiot, its just cashier work for local shop. I don't no how to get my confidence back, I was worried id say something stupid, turns out if id of said anything that would of helped, so angry with myself.
OK start out by volunteering. :) Best of luck. And by the way, just to get an interview these days is a result! I know it doesnt help but it is difficult for everyone atm.

Also, just a thought, keep records of your applications so you can prove to your next employer that you were genuinely looking and trying for jobs and not just sitting on your ass.

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
thanks, brilliant ideas, didn't think to google questions and have lots of nurserys and garden centres around, il send in a cv
Great idea or better still go in yourself, say hello. Ask for some voluntary work/work experience, just to get a foot in the door. :) Try an employment agency. Lots of places take on extra staff at Christmas.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for ur advice, iv taken it and got volunteer work at a new charity shop and better still its one for my local rescue. Only a few days a week but hope it will build my confidence and give me something to put on a cv

·
Registered
31,193 Posts
Nurseries, as in garden centers are usually fairly good places to work for a lowish stress environment, and they usually take on lots of temporary staff in the spring.

If you have any near, you could go and put you name forward, incase you don't get anything before then.

Once you have a job, even if it's temporary, it may be easier to get another :)
Can i just say, i worked in a nursery for 4 and a half years. The stress was far from low.
But on a lighter note, i stuck with it.
Best advice when going for an interview, imho. is..Go in with the attitude that your just trying " them" out.
Has worked for me many a time.:)

·
Still missing my boys
42,320 Posts
Thanks everyone for ur advice, iv taken it and got volunteer work at a new charity shop and better still its one for my local rescue. Only a few days a week but hope it will build my confidence and give me something to put on a cv
Wow you don't let the grass grow.!!

Well done :thumbsup: Hope it works out for you :)

Can i just say, i worked in a nursery for 4 and a half years. The stress was far from low.
But on a lighter note, i stuck with it.
Best advice when going for an interview, imho. is..Go in with the attitude that your just trying " them" out.
Has worked for me many a time.:)
Well I did for 20 years and OH has for about the same on a different nursery. Apart from a few stress times both are generally pretty laid back places.
Like all, I suppose it depends on the boss and the attitudes of the staff you work with.

Both of us being in charge made them fairly stress free places :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks all :)
dont have time to let the grass grow or il lose my enthusiasm with the bad interview. Great idea about going to them as a tester, i think half the reason i get in such a state is because i put so much pressure on myself to get it i just panic x

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I've had the same problem with interviews, I even write down questions to ask etc but still come across as an idiot. Couldn't even get a job as a school dinner lady:(

Good luck in finding something the more interviews you go for the more confident you get.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.