I got this email today regarding DPD

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PetloverJo, Feb 7, 2018.

1. PetloverJo

PetloverJo PetForums VIP

I thought I'd post in here since quite of a few of us probably get deliveries from DPD. I was shocked to read this and wondered if it is actually true. Anyone expecting a delivery able to ask the driver?

Here is the email.

[​IMG]
    Dear Joanne,

No-one should be fined for being too sick to work. But Don Lane, a driver for parcel delivery company DPD, was. [1] DPD made Don pay £150 for missing a shift to attend a hospital appointment. He was afraid of more fines, so he missed a string of important doctor's appointments to work. Then he collapsed at the wheel of his delivery van - and died weeks later. [2]

What happened to Don is disgraceful. And right now, thousands of other DPD drivers are facing the same unfair policy. If we want to change it, we have to hit DPD where it hurts: their wallets.

DPD's business comes from delivering parcels for high-street shops like John Lewis and Marks & Spencer. [3] Most of us will have had something delivered by a DPD driver. So let's flood DPD with emails, threatening to stop shopping at their biggest customers unless they stop charging their drivers for being sick.

Joanne, will you stand up for Don and email DPD now, telling them to stop fining sick drivers? It takes about two minutes, and there’s a suggested email to send. Our backlash could help change their dodgy policy for good:

EMAIL DPD

All of us want to be rewarded for doing a good job and staying loyal to a company. But Don worked for DPD for nineteen years and didn’t get the support he deserved when he ran into health problems. Just six months after he was fined for going to a hospital appointment, he died aged just 53. [4]

DPD has a policy of making drivers pay £150 for missing a shift. Their policy is vague so drivers can be charged even if they have a hospital appointment like Don did. Don’s widow Ruth said that the fine made him “terrified” to take time off from work, so his health suffered. [5]

Stories like Don’s are becoming more common with the rise of the 'gig economy' - jobs where workers don't get steady hours or benefits like sick pay, paid holiday or overtime. [6]

This isn't the first time 38 Degrees-ers have stood up for people treated badly by their bosses. Last year, over 41,000 of us pressured bubble tea chain Mooboo to scrap unpaid trial shifts. Mooboo listened - and now pay their staff for every hour they’ve worked. [7] When we use our power as customers, we can force businesses to do the right thing.

So Joanne, will you tell DPD to stop this dodgy policy? It'll take less than two minutes to send them an email, and there's some template text you can use:

EMAIL DPD

Thanks for being involved,

Aiyan, Maggie, Laura, Mia and the 38 Degrees team

PS: Want to make sure you get updates on the next stage of this campaign?

Data protection laws are changing, and we want to make sure your data is kept secure, and that you still want to receive emails about 38 Degrees campaigns. If you agree to 38 Degrees sending you emails about important campaigns click 'yes' below:

Yes, keep me informed via email

Your personal information will be kept private and held securely. By submitting information you are agreeing to the use of data and cookies in accordance with our privacy policy. You can unsubscribe at any time in the future.

NOTES:
    [1] BBC News: DPD delivery driver died after being fined for hospital visit:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-42946855
    [2] Daily Mail: DPD courier who was fined £150 for attending a medical appointment to treat his diabetes collapses and dies of the disease:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5352361/DPD-courier-fined-150-attending-doctor.html
    [3] The Guardian: Pressure grows on DPD and Theresa May after courier dies of diabetes:
    https://www.theguardian.com/busines...nd-theresa-may-after-courier-dies-of-diabetes
    [4] Daily Mirror: Diabetic parcel courier who was fined £150 for taking day off to see doctor dies of disease:
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/diabetic-dpd-courier-who-fined-11972487
    [5] See Note [2]
    [6] BBC: What is the 'gig' economy?:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38930048
    [7] 38 Degrees: Mooboo: pay your staff!:
    https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/mooboo-pay-your-staff
    38 Degrees wouldn’t exist without you, Joanne.
    38 Degrees has no big donors or corporate sponsors. Everything we achieve together is only possible because of fivers and tenners from ordinary people like you.

Please will you consider donating a few pounds a week to 38 Degrees? Click here to set up a secure donation:

CHIP IN
    Unsubscribe: If you no longer wish to be part of our movement and receive our emails you can unsubscribe here.

This email was sent to joliley@btinternet.com.

38 DEGREES
    Limited by guarantee
    Registered Company No. 6642193 in England and Wales
    Registered office: 40 Bowling Green Lane, London, EC1R 0NE

[​IMG]

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Yes, it's true. The delivery driver was from Christchurch, the depot at Ferndown which delivers to me. According to the local news yesterday DPD admitted that they had made an error in penalising the driver for taking time off for a hospital visit

3. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums Member

Yes they were discussing this on Jeremy Vine radio 2 show the other day. DPD is the best courier in my area from a customer point of view. The guy that comes to me is really friendly and on time with the deliveries.
    However, this guy's wife was on the radio and she hasn't received anything from the company since her husband died, no apology, no condolences. Nothing. Not good.

4. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

DPD aren't the only company doing this, the COOP dock the first 2 days wages from staff off sick, apart from it being unfair it worries me how many staff are handling food while being ill because they can't afford to take the day off. (i think Sainsburys and Asda are the same but can't swear on it) Its a disgrace and its another disgrace that everything our ancestors have done to get decent workers rights seem to be getting whittled away to nothing.

Sproglet, HarlequinCat and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. steveshanks

I forgot to add, I think (and its just a think) the drivers are self employed and they hire the van from DPD, Our local driver sub hires to another driver when he is off, as i said i'm not 100% sure on this, it might have been the Yodel man that told me this.

6. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

yeah, I think thats the problem. As they are hired as self employed they really have no back up at all if they are sick/need time off. Shame there isnt some kind of union they could all join.:(

Although I do love DPD deliveries. I get obsessed with watching my driver on his travels!LOL:D My last one must of had van trouble though. Just as it got to my delivery number he suddenly stopped for hours then went in totally the opposite direction. Finally arrived 8 hours later!:rolleyes:

7. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

You are correct - my DPD driver told me the same and he also has another driver that covers his round.

ha-ha .... i stalk mine every week and then tell him off/tease him for taking 10 minutes to deliver one parcel down the road! Although they do stalk me too, if im not at home they randomly turn up at my office :Shy Yep, I am on first name terms with both our DPD drivers.

Reminds me, our last delivery before Christmas - I gave him a stack of mince pies, he lent in and gave me a peck on the cheek and wished me a happy christmas ..... mother in law was sat in the lounge wondering why i was allowing strange men to kiss me (Ive known this one driver for probably 10 years and he delivers to me almost every week!)

Animallover26 and Sproglet like this.
  8. steveshanks

Its great when you have a good relationship with the delivery guys/gals we are really lucky here, the new DPD driver is really nice always gives Pip a biscuit even though he never eats them LOL and the Sunday one is fantastic, The Yodel guy is awesome and the Hermes lady is lovely too. RM we'll just not mention LOL

PetloverJo likes this.