Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I got meself a Beagle

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by AceRoguePhoenix, Apr 15, 2011.

1. AceRoguePhoenix

AceRoguePhoenix PetForums Junior

Hello people i just wanted to share my excitement and tell everyone that i have a beagle.. hes called Rocky and hes soooo cute...

2. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

Good luck with new arrival :). We Need pictures! :D

3. AceRoguePhoenix

i will try my hardest to get piccys lol...

4. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

Yes good luck with him...... they sure have character ;)

Pic's are a must :D

5. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

what does your collie think to him?

#5 dobermummy, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  6. BeagleOesx

BeagleOesx PetForums VIP

Congratulations on your new arrival - we need more info about him so we can all coo together

7. AceRoguePhoenix

typical, i try to take a pic of my phone and my camera has gone bust... Great Not!!!

8. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

oh no, you will have to tell us some more about Rocky then, how old is he , when did you get him, any naughty beagle traits :lol:

9. AceRoguePhoenix

unfortunatley we had to get rid of Ace as he was getting to much for the family (last week he was running around the house and knocked down Katie (who is 2 years old) almost broke her neck in the proces and a couple of days after that me and Hubby were talking and he nipped me wuite bad on my thigh (lovely red bruise on me) so unfortunatley he had to go as he was getting to be too much he went to my inlaws so at least my girls still get to see him but my inlaws can spend the approate amount of time on him that is needed. (we were taking him out for morning and after noon walks but it just wasnt making a diffrence) hes at a better place now so we got our beagle pup to kind of fill a massive gap my girls and hubby were not happy about Ace going so i searched and searched to find the right dog for this family and a beagle seemed the next right idea...

10. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

looking forward to seeing pics when you sort a camera out ;)

bet hes lovely :D

11. AceRoguePhoenix

he was born on the 4th of febuary we picked him up from this really nice lady (i say we i mean my hubby and his mum as me and hubby dont drive)

hes sooooo Tiny (ok not that tiny but after having my border collie in comparison he is tiny) he has Massive paws and a nob with a nail on both feet (i think this is causing him some discomfort will take him to vets ASAP)
    hes still getting used to being here, he got home last night and just let him have a sniff round (i say sniff lol this is a beagle) had to get him out of his little hiding places but he soon clamed down, i helped him eat last night (im so proud of myself) he didnt pee on the carpet as soon as he come in he peed on the paper (we have put newspaper down for toilet training) and then again last night he went pee on his paper, he didnt do anything (toilet wise) at all last night didnt cry or anything then he ped on pooped on his paper, (he so good) no little naughty traits obviously hes a bit upset at being here, but hes now having a sniff round the living room and hes being brave and comeing to the girls, hes still not sure about the cats, but give him time (the cats are used to ace my border collie chasing them so the cats are not sure what hes going to do...)

12. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

Good luck with him, beagles aren't the easiest dogs to train so i would advise you to go to puppy classes as soon as you can and start on recall practice straight away as they tend to have dreadful recall. A lot of owners can never let them off lead. You can start this training now with a "rocky come" and when he does give him praise/treat :) People think beagles are stupid there not just stubborn :rolleyes: There are a lot of beagle owners on here, so we can maybe help with our own experiance with them. They are a great family dog, mine is fab with my two who are 10 and 3 :D

13. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

he didn't cry last night :eek: lucky you :lol: i was on the sofa for the first 3 nights with Shelby . Are you crate training? Shelby was a big chewer until 18m then she stopped so we then we got rid of the crate.

14. AceRoguePhoenix

at the moment were just trying to get him used to his name as well, we call his name and he dont even look at us so yeah... when he recognises his name were going to start on that... also last night at dinner time (as it was a late night when me and hubby got to have dinner) we also did this to our old dog that when we ate he was out of the room i got a thing about any one (or dog) watching me while i eat as i feel there begging) so when we ate we put him out of the room we were in so thats a start on how we do things lol im so happy about his toilet traning i didnt think it would be this good this quick... lol

were looking at obdience classes around here but what me and other half are not sure of is what they do in them (if this makes sense) obviously we gotta get him down to a vet for a general check up (and as i said he has like a 6th toe on his foot with a nail out of it and when touched it seems to cause him some discomfort so something else we need to look into... also (and sorry this is long) we were told when buying him that he was a pedigree but we have no extra papers just his vacine booklet and it dont say anything about cross or pedigree...

15. AceRoguePhoenix

we not crate traning. he has his bed and thats it the kitchen is his domain if you know what i mean and if he chews well get him some marrow bones, (we did the same with our border collie and that helped loads stoped him chewing the table legs)

do you think this is right???

16. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

There is no right or wrong ways really just people's preference. I did crate training as it was easier for me to toilet train, we didn't go down the paper route just watching them 24/7 when she was out of the crate and the theory is they should soil there bed area(create) i found this easier as i had a 6m old baby when we got Shelby. Most dogs love crates and see them as a den if they are used right and not for punishment. As long as your kitchen is "safe" for him like no wires to chew or things he could choke on or get poisoned by then there is no reason for you not to leave him there :) Just remembered another beagle "thing" is separation anxiety to get him use for being left for small periods of time building it up, you putting him out while eating dinner sounds perfect for him getting use to being on his own for a short time. Being a stay at home mum myself i know i'm around most of the time but there is always the odd occasion where i need to go out for 4-5hrs so it's vital to build up time alone so they don't beagle bay the house down :lol:
    Bones are good for dogs but should be under supervision really, my mums dog ate a whole cooked bone and they sicked it all up again :rolleyes:

Sorry i do go on :eek:

#16 Pointermum, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  17. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

Congrats on your beagle pup,can't wait to see the pics,is he a tricolour or lemon and white?
    Its great that you are putting him out when you are eating,start as you mean to go on,beagles are renowned for being greedy,but we can eat infront of ours and he either sleeps or occasionally will drool,but he never snatches food as he was taught the leave it command quite early on.
    Toilet training wasn't a problem with our beagle,we just watched him like a hawk and and took him out every 20mins or if we spotted he was going to go,grabbed him quick and got him outside and then praised like mad,and made lots of fuss,he will now wee on command.
    Great advise regarding the recall saying his name and come,we did it slightly differently,when he was fed,I used to blow the whistle to tell him to come and get his dinner,and also did it for treats,and now our beagle can go off lead and when we whistle him he knows to come back because we have something tasty for him,if you teach him from the start that the whistle is a good noise and is assossiated with food,he should click,depending how food orientated he is.
    Our beagle is 19 months and I still crate him of a night time,he was a terrible chewer and it also came in handy when he had his evening madness and was over tired that I am sure you will experience in a few weeks,we found we had to literally put him down,to sleep,like you would a baby,so if he was starting to be naughty after an hour of being awake,I made sure he was crated after say 50mins to avoid it,I don't what it is,but,he had to sort of be taught how to relax,and chillout,when he was overtired the hyperness took over and he wouldn't naturally go to sleep without his crate.
    Anyway,I can't wait to see your puppy pics,you will make us beagle owners all broody for more!

18. AceRoguePhoenix

as im the one who goes to work it will be my hubby who is home all day except for when he is doing school runs... but thats pretty much it... is for the bones i do agree with you we didnt give them to our previous dog untill he was MUCH older (ok about a year old) but like i say there the chewy ones you get from tescos with the marrow in them but no other bones if you know what i mean... and dont worry about you going on any advice is much appreciated...

19. AceRoguePhoenix

even with my collie i had to put him out as i felt he was watching me eat and begging if you know what i mean so i said were doing the same with this one... i dont know how hubby feels about crate traning... (will speak to him) hes getting braver though hes runing about the place after us and im sure that in a couple of days he will come out of his shell and we will get to know the real Rocky... (yes my hubbie chose his name lol)

as for him sleeping well at the moment during the day i dont mind if he sleps in the living room, but at night he will be in the kitchen and when he is trained (toilet and stuff) we will just shut the living room door (again we did this for our collie) its just trying to keep the girls from over crowding him at the moment... (which is not possible) lol

as my hubby has taken the camera for fishing i guess it wont be at least a couple of days till i get piccys on here of him...

20. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

How is Ace settling in to his new home? Has he met your new puppy at all? HAd you had Ace since a puppy to? Hope they are both settling in to their new homes well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice