Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I get so emotional, is it just me?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Zayna99, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Zayna99

Zayna99 PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone.

So 5 weeks ago we got a little terrier type dog, 14 months old. He's the first dog we've had together as a couple, we've both owned dogs in the past but when each one of them died, they took a piece of my heart with them and I could stand it no more, I was heartbroken. 12 years has gone by and my heart has only just healed, so we got this little chap.

I love him so much. So much that I can cry just thinking about him, I cry at the thought of losing him or him getting ill or getting hurt. Out walking the other day a dog went for him and bit him on his side, not seriously but there's a scratch and there must be a bruise, and it's nearly killed me to think that he's upset and hurting. I look at his little face and feel so responsible for him.

He's at home alone now, for 2 hours while I work then I'm going home to walk him. He's safe and cool in the house and loves his peace and quiet, that's not why I'm upset, it's the fact that I'm missing him terribly.

What on earth is wrong with me?

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I don't think there is anything wrong with you and most dog lovers feel the same. Yes it's truly awful when we lose them (and I've lost a lot of dogs over the past 50 years) and we always miss each and every one of them.

Putting my sensible head on - we know when we have a new puppy that they are only going to live for 10-16 years (depending on breed, etc.) but if we cater for their needs and give them a lovely life, we really should have no regrets when they leave us.

3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

Sounds pretty normal to me ! We got a rescue Dachshund 4 years ago, she was 9 , now 13 so a good age. I look at her sleeping or snuffling round the garden and my eyes fill with tears at the thought that she could be gone by this time next year, I love her so much and hate leaving her at home. She had surgery for mammary cancer a year ago, a very scary time for us , but not for Tango, she has no idea.
    So yes, join the club of doggie slaves, we can be a soppy bunch !

4. dorrit

dorrit PetForums VIP

OH is so protective of Murphy and when we are on walks he panicks if Murphy vanishes out of his sight. Its annoying but I know that it comes from a place of both love and fear.
    OH loves Murphy to bits, he admitted that after loosing Benny he didnt think he would ever love another dog as much as he does Murphy.
    The fear is what if anything happened to him? what if I had to go through the pain of loosing him like when Benny died? what if he gets hurt? What if another dog bites him? Its the new mum kind of fear that makes us stand and just watch the babies sleep to make sure they are breathing.

I think its normal you see such a vunarable little dog and think of the last dog the one you lost and all the fear overwhelms you..
    Dont worry it will pass..

5. Wilmer

Wilmer PetForums Senior

Completely normal and understandable. Betty went in for a minor operation yesterday and walking back to my car with just a collar and lead broke me, just reminded me completely of when we lost Wilma. Even though I knew it was minor and I'd see her in a few hours, just the worst feeling :(

lullabydream and Lurcherlad like this.
  6. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Daft I know and I'm just as bad even at my age. Dropped Isla off at the groomers yesterday for a thorough wash (she had gone a sort of grey colour) and a go over with the thinning scissors. I was desperate to get back to her and that hour and a half seem to take ages. She thought the same I think becaiuse she was whining with joy that I had come back and rescued her from this noisy strange place.

7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Same here! ;)

Jack had to have a dental recently and leaving him at the vets brought a tear to my eye. He is so sensitive and I felt awful for leaving him.

Sometimes just seeing him snuggled on my sofa in a carefree sleep is enough to make my heart swell for him, given he was picked up as a skinny, scruffy stray and possibly not from the best of backgrounds :(

I think we invest so much in them emotionally that they are bound to pull at our heart strings! ;)

Sounds very normal to me :)

8. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I love coming here with like minded people as some people do not get it...

Had my share of heartache losing a dog suddenly this year, and then touch and go with a second who made a miraculous recovery surviving and surprising the vets.

There isn't one day I don't worry about little things, but intrusive thoughts are absolutely normal for all...but it's the little things that melt my heart daily Cleo and her love for my OH and my eldest son, Eevee's demanding attention, that she's taught Maisie well, a lurcher is just a bit more heavy and clumsy. Eevee the Joker of our lot..Maisie the sight hound with an appalling sight, at finding anything that's thrown on 50:50 basis, and Stan the man who snuggles me and has been through so much this year, who loves his chest played with...and all of these have kept me sane over the 6 months of being totally house bound...am going to miss them like crazy when I go back to work. However, I think I am just a typical dog owner, and walking them properly will be happening again soon and I cannot wait for that too!

Lurcherlad and Siskin like this.
  9. Zayna99

Zayna99 PetForums Newbie

I went home at lunchtime and walked him and cuddled him. He's absolutely fine being home alone, we don't leave him for more than 3 or 4 hours and there is never ever any damage or mess, he just goes to sleep because when we come in, he is bleary eyed and there's a warm space on the back bed! But I HATE leaving him, his little face when I go... breaks my heart.

However the alternative would be stressful, I could have brought him back to the office for a few hours but he knows nobody here, he'd be up and down and restless, so that consoles me a bit.

Lurcherlad and lullabydream like this.
  10. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

He's definitely better at home, some people find it's kinder to leave a settled dog be, than interrupting their lazy days too.
    Most dogs are content to snooze all day regardless unless we dare to wake them for an activity!

He's seems content with his routine, keep it that way.

Lurcherlad and Zayna99 like this.
  11. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

There is nothing wrong with you. I am exactly the same with mine. I love my pets so much that sometimes I cry out of happiness watching them play and enjoy themselves. I always miss them when I'm at work, so much so that my OH sends me pictures of them and it makes me happy. Some people may think I'm crazy, but I'd rather be full of love than full of hate. :)

12. Aahlly

Aahlly PetForums VIP

I'm rarely away from mine as I work from home but I went back to school last year and I had a couple of wobbles. I didn't have the same time for them that I usually did and I was feeling so sad and guilty. Ridiculous as my OH works nights so is home most days and sis works afternoons and evening so is happy to watch them during the day if we can't be there for an extended time. But I just missed them like crazy. The best days are when I can take them out for five hours of walking in the middle of nowhere and it's just me and them. Bliss. You're not alone in the way you feel, honestly. I love my animals so much it's almost silly :Hilarious And I don't care if people think I'm crazy. They all make me so happy.

Sairy, Lurcherlad and lullabydream like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice