Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I found this on eBay

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Melo, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Melo

Melo PetForums Member

I was looking around on eBay for a few things and I came across the item below:

20x Pet Dog Cat Anti-scratch Nail Paw Claw Cap Cover S | eBay

I don't understand why anyone would put these on their cat or dog! I trim Henry's little claws as when they get too long he tends to get caught on things, but I would never dream of putting these things on him! I have a leather couch and it has a few scratches on it from him running across it or playing with toys on it, but I accept that this will happen. He hasn't scratched it deliberately, although every now and again he does have a go at my living room rug!

Am I alone in thinking that these are a little cruel? I know that everyone has their own opinion as to taking care of their animals, but this isn't something I would ever consider putting on Henry.

2. JordanRose

JordanRose Master of the Whingey Cat.

No, I don't like them, either. They must be so irritating and I can imagine they'd be quite limiting :frown2:

And don't even get me started about the vile procedure of declawing!! :mad:

Cats scratch. Yes, it can be a bit frustrating when it's your furniture but that's life :rolleyes:

3. Melo

Melo PetForums Member

I would never declaw Henry. Someone suggested it to me and I just about took their head off!

I fully accept that he scratches and things are going to get damaged, if my desire to keep my house in pristine condition was that important, I would never have got a cat in the first place!

4. Chiantina

Chiantina PetForums VIP

They're awful although I suppose marginally better than declawing!

I saw someone post on a forum recently advocating declawing as she didn't want scratched furniture and wouldn't buy scratching posts as they were too ugly!! Some people shouldn't have a cat!!

5. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

I had a cat who was scratching herself raw and wouldn't let her wounds heal. I used these with great success, and although I wouldn't advocate them in normal circumstances, they were invented for the American market to stop declawing, so I aplaud them for that if nothing else. ?While in use, they didn't limit my cat at all. She still cuddled, still tried to use her scratching post, still climbed etc.

Then you have to also consider that there are very disabled folk who would love to have a cat but whose skin is so fragile or whose resistance is so low that if they got scratched, they would get hurt or quite ill from it. Again in those circumstances, claw clipping might not be enough, and these give a solution.

As for people using them just because they don't want scratched furniture and don't want to buy a post, well, that's just silly.

smiler84 and spid like this.
  6. JordanRose

JordanRose Master of the Whingey Cat.

These are very good points, Carly, I hadn't thought about these. I guess they're beneficial for some in certain circumstances. Thank you for opening my mind about such things, as you always do!

I fear some simply use them as fashion accessories, though, as they come in pretty colours :rolleyes:

7. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

I did speak to the company about that when they asked me to write some website text for them. That's one of the things I really, really don't like about them. They should be clear and that's it.

8. Melo

Melo PetForums Member

I too hadn't thought of these points, I just had this image in my head of someone getting annoyed at their cat for a little scratch on the furniture & covering their poor wee cats claws! Didn't even think about them for a medical reason either. :001_huh:

Guess I shouldn't jump to the worst possible conclusion in future! :)

9. Kittenfostermummy

Kittenfostermummy PetForums VIP

Crinkle when his ear is playing up often goes into scratching spasms almost where he ends up pulling his fur out in clumps etc. My vet/boss suggested these for him to stop him hurting himself but I am not too sure about them. I am worried they would bug him with his disabilities and end up making him worse anyway.

I do keep all three cats claws trimmed though as I am constantly covered in scratches and they get caught when padding on me as well.

10. smiler84

smiler84 PetForums VIP

blimey, i can just imagine arthur's reaction if i started trying to put those on!!

carly raises some good points though :)

11. Purple Grant

Purple Grant PetForums Member

rights and wrongs aside, I don't get these.
    Wouldn't getting and keeping these on be harder than just clipping their nails?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice