Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I 'forgot' she is in season

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Polimba, May 29, 2010.

1. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

Yesterday morning at about 9am I was walking Zimba in a local area that was a disused quarry that's now been turned into a nature reserve and fishing area. It's lovely and spacious and fully enclosed so obviously attracts a lot of dog walkers.

We were almost at the end of the walk when I saw a man with a lab and springer offlead coming towards us. I called Zimba back and asked if his dogs were ok with a bouncy young dog and he said fine.

Then as we met him on the path he said 'I forgot this one's in season', the lab. So then I had a 43kg adolsecent, hormone charged Ridgeback to get off the lab. It was ok and he did apologise, but what was he thinking :eek: Maybe he assumed he wouldn't be entire?

2. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

What a moron :eek:

3. Haley

Haley PetForums Member

Absolutely x

4. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

Why why why do people take them out when in season:confused:

5. nic76

nic76 PetForums Member

OMG i would never walk a bitch in season.stupid man

6. Fuzzbugs!x

Fuzzbugs!x PetForums VIP

I can top that sadly :(. SKC last friday and i had just sprinted out the ring with Barney swapped dogs with my mum and was running up to the mallie ring with Hudson a mastiff pulled over to him. Hudson isn't normally the biggest fan of mastiffs but he went nuts over this one, screaming and panting! I pulled him away and he calmed down a bit before the woman said 'oh shes in season, she'll be driving him crazy' :mad:. Lucky Hudson's a bit daft or i would never have been able to take him in the ring. xx

7. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Oh heavens Polimba, how easily that could have turned into a fight between two entire males!
    I admit you do need to own a male dog before you fully understand all the implications. My family have always had bitches for over 40 years, and none were ever walked in season simply for fear of accidents, but now I've had an entire male (neutered after maturity) I can see even more sense in keeping them at home for 3-4 weeks. You can bet when I do get a bitch I will do the same, it's just second nature to me. Far too many ignorant people out there who will also be the first to blame you for their own negligence, unfortunately.

8. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I walked molly in season, but never FORGOT!!!!!!!!:eek: my stress levels were high the whole time i walked her where i knew the dogs but was still on high alert

9. leashedForLife

he wasn;t THINKING at all, IMO :rolleyes: if he had been *thinking* he would have either kept her home, or had her on-lead,
    and been watching like a hawk for any off-leash dogs in the distance, to avoid encounters of the fertile-kind.

he would also have had the brains to Tell U well-before the dogs got close, that she was entire - as bitches can be in-heat
    before owners are even aware of it, assuming that they *are* saves loads of future grief. ;)
    that he >> knew << she was in estrus makes this dude a contender for the Monty-Python twit of the year award...
    how the H*** do U forget that?! :yikes: what a maroon... :thumbdown:

could he walk + chew gum simultaneously? :D maybe he wants her bred, but is too gutless to admit it. :huh: there are those...
    hope U don;t encounter him again, if so i;d give a wide berth - the Ridgie will no doubt recall her lustfully.
    bummer...

--- terry

10. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

I really have to add...... The VERY LAST DAY Merlin had his nuts - yup, less than 24 hrs before The Operation - I walked him and we met a small foxy-red "welsh" collie. Female owner casually said, She is in season.

Half of me wanted to say "GO ON MY SON!!!! This is your LAST CHANCE!" but the better half saw him play bow, chase, have a great time with her and not once did his nose (or any other part!) migrate to her bottom end.

I could have killed the woman though, it's just not on.
    Her ambivalence suggested that she would have LOVED him to cover her bitch [accidentally on purpose!] and that would have been manipulating my dog in the worst way possible. Not even up-front enough to ask...... Too weak to control her own dog.... No thought to any effects it might have on the (un)lucky dog that tied.

11. CheatingRabbit

CheatingRabbit PetForums Member

Exactly. I often walk ours when they are in season.

BUT - at that time of the morning (silly o'clock) I know all the dogs (about 2) I am likely to encounter and tehy are always on a lead.

It isn't impossible to manage, but I don't forget she is in season....

CR

12. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I think you have to be sensible and it isnt a problem no way could i have kept molly in all the time.

13. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Yeah, that's silly. I got annoyed the other day, as we're thinking of entering Holly into a show at the end of July, I emailed the secretary running it and asked "if my bitch comes into season who should I tell?" as it was my first show. She came back to me and said "oh, it doesn't matter, you can bring her if you like!" I was thinking... Are you mad?

We will walk Holly when she comes into season, however it would be around the block, all of 5 mins, just for a little toilet and stretch of legs :)

14. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Idiot or it could be he wanted her mated. That could have ended badly though if you're going to walk a dog in season walk her away from other dogs

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice