Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I finally picked a food!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by PoisonGirl, Jul 5, 2009.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

You prob remember all the questions I had a whiela go trying to get Dave onto a better food?

Well we are nearing the end of a bag of wagg and went to PaH today as Dixie needed food too.

All the time I had been thinking I would put him onto junior, it suddenly occurred to me while I was looking at all the food, that changing him onto a better quality puppy would do just as well.

So I spoke to the people I know in PaH and they agreed and OH said he was not paying £40 for a 15kg bag (I wasn't either!) so we went with Wainright's, Turkey and Rice.

I gave him a few bits to taste and he practically licked my hand off, I think he likes it :D

So I measured out the wagg that was left with the wainrights to gradually change over 2 weeks.

my oh was complaining at the £30 it cost but a 15kg bag of it will last much longer than a 10kg bag of wagg!

x

2. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

£30 for a 15kg bag?! That is a lot :eek: no wonder your hubby was moaning lol :p

Glad you didn't go with the [email protected] brand, a 12kg back cost me £28 :mad:

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Compared to the rest of the food in PaH, £30 is cheap! The james well beloved was £40 and something was £50!

Wainright's puppy was the next price up from wagg (maybe PaH is in between but that isn't much better than wagg).

I'm going to my pet shop tomorrow to see how much they can get it for next time, even if its only a few quid cheaper. PaH sell puppy wagg at £12 ish and my pet shop its £9.50 so you never know.

I'm not too fussed about paying a bit extra, he really wansn't doing well on the wagg, since he's had another growth spurt, we were having to feed heaps of it to keep him at his ideal weight, but he was bored of it. A 10kg bag of wagg was lasting us arould 3 weeks.

x

4. bird

bird PetForums VIP

I could be wrong but I think Wainwrights might be a PaH brand.

5. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

I thought it was

6. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it wrong.
    I wasn't thinking straight lol.
    It is £47 for a 15kg bag lol.

#6 EmzieAngel, Jul 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  7. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Country Choice 15kg bag costs £18 for me :D Got to love small independant pet shops!

8. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

only £17 for royal canin 15kg bag ... are u sure????

We used to buy royal canin and it was £47 for 15 kg :eek:

9. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

I obviously haven't got my head screwed on today.
    For some reason I was thinking of the smaller bag, 4kg, god knows why I thought that, sorry lol.
    x

10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Wainwrights is a [email protected] exclusive. It is a reasonably good food though, not disimilar to JWB in quality.

11. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

hehe thats ok.... :D
    we just changed from rc as we found it to expensive and i think the prices went up again and £17 sounded like a very good price :D

12. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

As long as you know the food is as natural as you can get, no chemicals,additives etc i do think buying a good food is worth paying the money, not as much waste, dont need to feed as much per meal and most of all a healthier dog= lower vet's costs. I buy burns and depending on the flavour it can be £47 15kg BAG but i wouldnt feed anything else as it suits my dogs.

13. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Haha, yeah if it was that price, it would be a great bargain :D

14. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Opps, that will teach me for not checking. Oh well, Still can't complain if it's good for him and not too bad for the wallet!
    Dixie is fine on the wagg so it's just Dave it's expensive to feed! Lol

x

15. micktai0

micktai0 PetForums Newbie

16. Storm_boy

Storm_boy PetForums Junior

Wainwrights is a fantastic food. Their large breed formula is great. You have certainly made a good choice there. My Inuit loves it mixed with a couple of pieces of tripe. I have to do this task with my eyes closed though lol

17. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Dave currently gets just under half a (small) tin of winalot with his dinner as he was sick of so much wagg.
    But he has a habit of leaving some dinner then eating it in a bit. he gets fed in his crate so I usually just leave him to get on with it.

He seems really keen on the wainwrights though, he is constantly trying to get his nose in th bag if i open the cupboard!
    So starting tomorrow he will be getting it dry and what he leaves will be measured and I will feed that much less next feed. It will be mixed with wagg for the next 2 weeks so he gets used to it and gradually changed over.

Dixie eats all her dinner in one go, I have let Dave away with eating it later as to keep his ideal weight he was getting quite a bit and just not interested in it but I hope with this better quality food he will be fine :)

Within a few days I hope to have him standing next to Dixie to eat dinner instead of in his bed. Problem with feeding in his bed is I have to keep removing the bones at dinner time!

x

18. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Well so far so good on the new food!

I currently have substituted 1/4 of his usual Wagg for the Wainwrights.
    He is actually eating all of his dinner rather than leaving it then coming back 5 mins later.
    I can feed him and Dixie next to each other and they both just stand and don't move until their bowls are licked clean (Dixie wouldn't dare leave a crumb, incase Dave ate it!)
    I think that is down to the fact the Wainwrights smells nicer and its less dry than the wagg.

I got him weighed at the vet to give me a more accurate idea how much to give... He is 18.6kg! :eek:
    but he is eating around the right amount. I am happy with my choice now I can see he is doing much better.

x

19. Storm_boy

Storm_boy PetForums Junior

you have made a brilliant choice hunni, he will thrive on it :) good luck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice