Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I finally got my Guinea Pigs!

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by xchocolatexmustardx, May 1, 2011.

1. xchocolatexmustardx

xchocolatexmustardx PetForums Junior

So it turns out that my cavy's are living in the living room and are around my cats. The two cats watch the pigs closely but can't actually reach them. The guinea pigs are still eating their hay, vegetables and food, I havn't seen them drink water yet but the person I got them from said they don't drink too much. They have tons of places to hide in and tubes that lead them to each individual things. Like from their pigloo's there is two tunnels a short distance away (both are edible) one leading to hay, the other leading to the food and water (I think I need to move the salt to one of these destinations.) They are in a large rabbit cage and the cats can only see them from the front.
    Anyways my point is the cat's won't scare them to death will they? They should get used to each other and leave one and other alone right?

Thanks for any help.

2. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

The cats MIGHT leave them alone when they realise they'll never be able to reach them. They also might not.

My pigs couldn't care less when the cats try to pounce on them. (They smack their faces off the bars of the cage :rolleyes: )
    The pigs just go up and sniff them and the cats get a bit taken aback haha.
    It really depends on your piggies I think!

3. xchocolatexmustardx

So they should be good as soon as they become more comfortable and realize the cats can't reach them?

4. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

If they're showing signs of being scared then move them! My pigs never bothered about them though.
    They CAN die from fear of a predator, so if they're distressed move them.

I have to have a lock on my door to stop the cats getting in when i'm not there to supervise.. Just in case!

Photos?? x

5. xchocolatexmustardx

I honnestly have misplaced my camera. But as soon as I find it I will post some pictures.

6. Myanimalmadhouse

Myanimalmadhouse PetForums VIP

Aww they gorgeous! They seem perfectly happy and contented to me :D

My cats watch the guinea pigs like its britains got talent! The guinea pigs have no fear of the cats and one even taunts them on a regular basis as he knows the cats cant reach him and I swear I hear him laughing!

7. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

No idea about cats...but just wanted to say they are lovely!!!

8. fluffybunny2001

fluffybunny2001 PetForums VIP

quick thing,guineas shouldn`t have sawdust in their cage,it can cause respiratory problems.they are very cute though

9. xchocolatexmustardx

10. xchocolatexmustardx

I bought the wrong bedding. Dam!

They are gonna be switched to fleece soon. would this stuff be ok for their litter box?

11. fluffybunny2001

fluffybunny2001 PetForums VIP

i just cove the whole cage with hay,mine don`t have a litter tray as they are very hard to litter train and tend to pee and poo as they walk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice