Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I feel so guilty.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by vivien, Mar 31, 2017.

1. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

To cut a long story short, some boys let their dogs go for the strays I feed outside, I flew out the door and my son Rob went after them giving them a piece of his mind, while I saw to Princess and Tomtom. Princess was fine just a little shook up. Tomtom had a wet patch on his shoulder so one of the dogs must of got hold of him. I checked him over and couldn't find anything else, but he had been limping for most of the winter. Which I thought Was a bit of arthritis. But I got a huge shock when I looked. His claw was embedded in his paw. Quit deep too. I cut the claw with the help of Rob. Then I had to pull it out. Poor Tomtom he must of thought I was being horrible to him. Pus and blood poured out when the piece of claw came out and I put some pet antibacterial powder on him. I haven't got much left so I couldn't put too much on as it's hard to get hold of. This is what I cut and pulled out. No wonder he was limping. He could of done with the claw being cut shorter as it is still quite long. But I darent take any more in case I got his quick. Sorry gross picture. I feel so guilty for having to hurt him to help him.
    Viv xx

Attached Files:

2. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

Viv don't feel bad. You care and that's what matters x

3. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Poor lad, that must have been so painful. Think that its good you saw it when you did otherwise things could have got a lot worse.

vivien likes this.
  4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Viv you have no reason to feel guilty,that title belongs to the thoughtless individuals that threw that poor lad and his friends out to fend for themselves.
    Thank you for caring xx

5. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Viv your heaven sent! Those dogs would have mauled Princess & Tomtom ( report those boys to the police ) then you perform a procedure many would just pass over to the vet. You care!

Tomtom will be besotted with you now! He must feel so much better.

Well done you! X

6. Emmasian

Emmasian PetForums VIP

Those lads are scum of the earth. I hope their own dogs turn on them and rip them to pieces. The cats must have thought their guardian angel had arrived, you probably saved their lives and should in no way feel guilty as it's wonderful that you care for them. Your sin sounds wonderful too. I'm wondering if he needs antibiotics with there being pus present when you pulled the claw out. I bet he feels better though xx

vivien likes this.
  7. Emmasian

Emmasian PetForums VIP

I agree about ringing the police. They could be making a habit of this sort of thing.

8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

You have nothing to feel guilty about.

Bless you for caring for them :)

I wonder if he might need antibiotics though?

9. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

What utter B*******

Viv you did what you needed to - don't feel guilty.

vivien likes this.
  10. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Thank you all. It makes me sick that these boys let their dogs go for Princess and Tomtom. I don't know who the boys are, but my son is built like a brick built um S**t house and he scared the bejesus out of them. Plus my two dogs tried to get at the boys as well. I have looked at Tomtoms foot, and it looks a lot better this morning. He is also walking better too. I've put some more powder on it and will watch him closely. Purdy my jet has brittle claws and very often rips them when she pulls on the lead and makes them bleed. She just doesn't put 2 and 2 together, and stop pulling. So I know what to look for if it turns poisonous again. Tomtom has always had a sad face from the first time I met him. But he looks even sadder today bless him. He still has cuddles though. I think he thinks I hurt him on purpose. I would never do that. But what is worrying me is although I cut a fairly large chunk of claw off, the rest of the claw is very thick and still quite long. I didn't want to cut anymore in case I caught his quick. I am going to have to watch this, as I don't want that to happen to him again. What do you guys think leave it about 2-3 weeks and trim the claw again? Or do you think it might rectify itself?

Here is a picture of Tomtom and princess this morning Tomtom is nervous because there is a dog barking in the distance.

Viv xx

Attached Files:

Babyshoes, AmsMam, Gwen9244 and 2 others like this.
  11. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

They are lovely...and so lucky to have you!

vivien likes this.
  12. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Dont be thinking daft woman or I'l send HRH round to shed :Woot You are doing a fab job :) xx

vivien and ewelsh like this.
  13. crystalwitch

crystalwitch PetForums Member

I agree with the sentiments, but if their dogs attack them, the louts will probably beat the animals (who are already at a disadvantage being owned by vicious thugs), or the poor dogs will end up being put down. However, do report them to the police - you don't say what sort of dogs they are, but a lot of the creatures who use their dogs in dog fighting competitions, let them attack cats to 'train' them. Poor TomTom. Hope his paw is better but if still infected, try bathing it in tepid boiled salt water. I'm sure he'll forgive you - I've never had an animal yet that carried a grudge.

vivien and Paddypaws like this.
  14. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

You are so caring Viv and no need to feel guilty. Well done for helping poor Tomtom. And very brave of your son to go out after them too. I would get in touch with the police.
    Hope Tomtom is feeling better now and his paw heals well.

vivien and crystalwitch like this.
  15. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Viv you are an angel for caring and doing all you do for these cats!
    As for the claw.....keep an eye on it and see how it grows/settles. My Woody had a rogue claw that was misshapen and would grow to dig into his foot but it was a really odd shape to know where to cut it.

vivien and crystalwitch like this.
  16. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

You really don't need to feel guilty, you're not the one that's done wrong and all you've done is try to help.

One thing I would say is do keep a close eye on the wound and also how he is generally (ie if he seems in discomfort, grumpy or won't come for his food. I;m thinking this as my cat had an infected bite, despite the vet draining the pus, cleaning it up and putting him on anti-biotics, I had to go back a couple of days later as more pus had built up.

vivien likes this.
  17. popcornsmum

popcornsmum Popcorn relaxing!

Oh what beautiful kitties well done for saving them bless you. There's a lot of people using cats for dog baiting and I'd hate for it to happen to these two babies so defo ring the police. I really hope his little paw is okay. Sending love to you all x

vivien likes this.
  18. Gwen9244

Gwen9244 PetForums VIP

Bless you for looking after these two. I hope that the little sh*ts who set their dogs on them get their comeuppance!

Emmasian, Calvine and vivien like this.
  19. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Thank you Calvin. :) X
    thank you DB. If you mean Mojo I am here waiting with open arms. :) X
    they were jack Russel crosses from what I saw. His foot is a lot better this afternoon. He has no limp and the wound looks clean. I am still eking out my antibacterial powder. But being a small wound I don't need a lot. He came for a stroke when I fed him a while ago. He is staying in my fence at the moment. It's disturbed Princess though she ran up the flats stairs when someone went through the courtyard with a dog. Poor lass. X
    i have phoned the police and told them about the dogs. But I'm not so sure they will follow up on it. His paw is a lot better this afternoon. :) X
    thank you PP. yes this is the problem, it was a huge lump of claw that was in his pad, the remaining claw is still long and very thick. I am definitely going to have to keep an eye on it. I think I will cut a small bit off every 3 weeks. So it doesn't grow back in the pad again. X
    Thank you. I feel guilty because I know it hurt to pull the claw out of his pad. I phoned the police. The pus came out with the blood when I pulled the claw out. I washed it with boiled water then put antibacterial powder on it. And have been eeking it out since as I haven't got a lot left. I am definitely keeping an eye on it. I can't bring them in as I have dogs myself. They tolerate my cats but not outside ones. There are another 2 strays I feed, another huge black and white boy we called baldy as he suffers from flea allergy and getting the flea stuff on him is a nightmare. But he eats his food and is so fearful that he lives in the pampas grass outside. We only see him when he's hungry. We have changed his name from baldy to Bobby now. And a white and black boy we call Boysie but we haven't seen him for a few days I think someone else is feeding him. X
    Thank you. I have phoned the police. I'm hoping they follow it up. His paw is a hell of a lot better this afternoon. X
    thank you, me too. I think if Rob got hold of them they would of got their comeuppance. X

20. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

How about giving Baldie Capstar tablets? They only kill the live fleas on a cat and stay active for 24 hours but it would give him some relief.

crystalwitch, Forester and vivien like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice