Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I feel so guilty!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Melo, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Melo

Melo PetForums Member

Today I made Henry's appointment for that operation that all little boys need to get sooner or later! He's booked in for the end of next month. I came off the phone & had a little cry. If that's me just making the appointment, what I'm I going to be like when I've to actually take him in! :confused:

2. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

This is one of the many factors that re-strengthens my resolve to early neuter all of my kittens before they leave me. It's just one more way I can reduce anxiety for the new owner.

Worry not. Little Henry will probably act like nothing has happened to him. My boy last year jumped straight out of the carrier, jumped on his sister's head, beat her up, yelled at his mum, then came screaming to me because he was hungry, thank you very much, and why wasn't there any food in the dish!

3. Lel

Lel PetForums Senior

Aww don't panic! He won't even know anything is wrong (or notice anything is missing!) :)

4. Melo

Melo PetForums Member

I know he probably won't be bothered, but I just keep looking at him & feeling guilty! He's too busy playing just now to be bothered to give me a cuddle so I feel better! :(

5. catgeoffrey

catgeoffrey PetForums VIP

Geoffrey was a bit quiet when he came back after his op but after a sleep he had forgotten and has bounding around as normal! Your boy will be fine! :D

6. JordanRose

JordanRose Master of the Whingey Cat.

Try not to humanise Henry, as that way you will feel guilty about the whole scenario.

Think about it from Henry's perspective: he will not have the birds and the bees on the brain at all times, will not feel too aggressive towards other cats, will not be impregnating any lady cats (if he's an outdoor cat, of course!), he will not be living in a constant state of sexual frustration.

Instead, he will be fairly relaxed around other cats, won't be constanly worrying about other males trumping him for mates and will be happier and healthier once the 'plum fairy' has visited.

He'll be fine, I'm sure! Fingers crossed he forgives you :D

7. Melo

Melo PetForums Member

I know it's the best thing for him, but the woman on the phone today kept saying castration, she must've said it about 5 times & I just kept thinking it sounds so brutal! Can they not call it something else, like kitty snip, that doesn't sound quite so bad!

8. MollyMilo

MollyMilo PetForums VIP

I was just like you along with many others on here! It's a scary time but the boys do bounce back very quickly and never notice anything missing except their food maybe :D

If you are squeamish don't watch, but this helped me :)
    Cat Castration - YouTube

9. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

As everyone has said,he will be absolutely fine :D.
    Meeko had his little "op" and I dont think he noticed :rolleyes: He bounced out the carrier,had a quick rummage in the underwear department,stuffed his face and then knocked the stuffing out of his toys .By evening he was crashed out in bed and didnt wake till morning none the wiser,but he can be a bit dim at times :rolleyes: :D

10. MoochH

MoochH Mum to Moochie

I dreaded the day I had to hand Mooch over to the nurse and admit I did have a bit of a cry and my voice went all wobbly when I said 'bye Moochie'. It just shows we love them - I didn't care that everyone was staring at me :D They have probably all been in the same position at some time or other.

No problems once home at all except for a hyperactive cat (she was suppose to be drowsy :confused: ). Excited to be home and fed king prawns I suppose.

11. Chiantina

Chiantina PetForums VIP

He'll be fine and will make for a much happier boy in the long run - I have been through it with 3 boys as adolescents/adults and they haven't noticed a thing!!!

12. Melo

Melo PetForums Member

I managed to watch 2 minutes and then I thought I was going to throw up so had to turn it off! I don't do too well with blood and operations!

13. SnazzyJazzy

SnazzyJazzy PetForums VIP

I was just like you lol :)

I took jazzy socks in and with a tearful goodbye and a huge cuddle let him go...went to jollyes and brought him a milllion toys and treats to make him feel better....got him home

He jumped out the carrier and proceeded to run around the house at full pelt for about three hours, explored new toys (was not impressed :rolleyes:) then flomped :D

He really was non the wiser and definately a happier cat for it x

14. MollyMilo

MollyMilo PetForums VIP

oops! I did warn you :eek:

15. Melo

Melo PetForums Member

Everyone's posts have made me feel much better about it! I'll probably have a little cry when I drop him off, and then spoil him when I get him home! :001_smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice