UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was so excited to get our puppy, more so than the kids! But now im sat here crying and feel like the worse puppy mummy in the world! My little girl is now 17 weeks been with us for 7 weeks and in that time has had a UTI, an infection of her gut and now she has a swollen ankle and is back down the vets later today to find out what wrong.

I cant seem to stay out of the vets :( Im trying to get it all right but today it feels like its all falling apart around me

I just want her to be happy and healthy and i cant even seem to do that right :(

·
Still missing my boys
42,320 Posts
These things happen with animals I'm afraid.

Sounds as if you were on top of every situation. That makes you a pretty good owner in my book :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really hope the vets goes well we didnt get paid this week so living on a pittance anyway and if she needs an x-ray it will be at least £60!
I feel horrible dont even know what she has done or how she has done it!
Im trying so hard to get it right but i just cant seem to stay out the vets :(

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These things happen with animals I'm afraid.

Sounds as if you were on top of every situation. That makes you a pretty good owner in my book :)
Thanks i dont feel like it right now i feel awful, she isnt to impressed with being locked in her crate even with the kong filled with yummy treats

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
I really hope the vets goes well we didnt get paid this week so living on a pittance anyway and if she needs an x-ray it will be at least £60!
I feel horrible dont even know what she has done or how she has done it!
Im trying so hard to get it right but i just cant seem to stay out the vets :(
Sometimes you feel as if it's you; but these things would have happened anyway. Kilo got attacked last night and I was thinking to myself afterwards 'why did you decide to go that way in the dark' , 'you must have let it happen' etc. All total rubbish but it's how anyone who really cares thinks. As Rona said, the fact that you are going to the vet makes you a good owner!

·
Registered
779 Posts
dont blame yourself,like previously said these things happen with animals.
i hope she gets on ok at the vets later :) it will all come right im sure,even if it doesnt seem like it now.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Not as though there is anything you could have done to stop any of her problems, at least you are doing the right and responsible thing by taking her to the vets.

Accidents and illnesses happen, they happen in humans as much as dogs and there is rarely anything you can do to stop it, just have to help make sure they have a proper recovery.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I take it quite hard when any of my animals are hurt or sick, im responsible for them and always think i could have possibly done something to stop it.

OH didnt get paid from work this week so not going to get his wages till next friday was going to be tight anyway to feed everyone and pay all the bills but now thinking my phone might get cut off as i would rather my little Tails was seen to than my mobile works, will be getting a bit behind with a couple of bills if it costs loads!

She isnt insured yet either as me and OH have been trawling through company after company trying to find the best one for us and Tails that wont break the bank (some quotes you get are ridiculous) Ive told OH this is because she isnt insured yet and we best decide soon before anything really serious happens!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sometimes you feel as if it's you; but these things would have happened anyway. Kilo got attacked last night and I was thinking to myself afterwards 'why did you decide to go that way in the dark' , 'you must have let it happen' etc. All total rubbish but it's how anyone who really cares thinks. As Rona said, the fact that you are going to the vet makes you a good owner!
Oh no is Kilo ok? You always blame yourself dont you well i do i blame myself for everything that goes wrong with my animals :(

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
Oh no is Kilo ok? You always blame yourself dont you well i do i blame myself for everything that goes wrong with my animals :(
He is stiff and sore but fine thanks (physically). I am hoping he'll not be too affected other wise - hope to meet one of his calm friends today to see how he goes.

I always blame myself too - human nature I think as you're powerless to explain things to animals.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He is stiff and sore but fine thanks (physically). I am hoping he'll not be too affected other wise - hope to meet one of his calm friends today to see how he goes.

I always blame myself too - human nature I think as you're powerless to explain things to animals.
Hope it goes well and there isnt any repercussions from the attack. Yes so powerless! OH says im silly as its really upset me Tails is hurt (although she isnt limping and stopping her running about it a bit of a pain) i feel so helpless and responsible all at the same time and ive been carrying her outside so she can go to the toilet then back to her crate or curled up on the sofa with me, im just about to give her breakfast in the crate to so she doesnt have to move.

Trying to keep her still until we know whats wrong but it is easier said than done

G

·
We all feel responsible for everything that goes wrong with our wee ones, even when we had no control over the situation it is our nature. I hope everything goes well at the vets and it's nothing serious. Do keep us updated.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will do :) I feel more responsible when the animals are hurt than when the kids are at least the kids can tell me whats wrong! Im getting lots of evil eyes off Tails as she is shut in her crate so she cant run about and for her this is play time she doesnt understand why im not letting her out

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Don't blame yourself easier said than done. If you were a bad owner then you wouldn't even bother to take Tails to the vet.

I felt really bad when Domino had to have his hip replacement and had 8 weeks stuck in the cage but it was done for his own good.

You are a good owner and very loving one too.

Hope you get on ok at the vets.

Hugs

Val xx

·
Registered
23,249 Posts
I think unless you have an accident prone breed like an Iggy or a working dog most owners see more of their vets in the first year then any other time until old age! Puppies are like kids in that they are always eating things they shouldnt, climbing on things they shouldnt, etc.
I can remember countless horrible falls, puppy squishings, gippy tums, unexplained limping, puking and overly dramatic crying from my lot when they were little!:rolleyes: and you always feel guilty about it!!:D

·
Registered
91 Posts
You know what, I was in the same position as you.
New puppy 8 wks old rescued from terrible conditions had him 24 hours he was seriously ill on a drip at animal hospital,

Released 2 days later and we had spent all our money then he took Ill again actually collapsed in the surgery they needed to admit him but we didn't have the money it was awful I was blaming myself for rescuing the little guy wished I would have left him for the RSPCA to take with the rest if the litter because then he would have got the treatment he needed.

He somehow pulled through the night and got better each day - then he got round worm burden back at the vets with him if you havent seen it before it was just spaghetti pouring out of his bum.

In between all of this he had his injections

Then he started limping after chasing the vacuum cleaner - back at the vets!

In his first 4 weeks he was at the vets 6 times!
It's awful how you feel but she will be ok and you will look back and think how careful you were and dedicated you were to make sure she has the best start to life :)
Try not to feel bad it does get easier and when you look at their little faces you know your doing the best by them

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
So sorry you've got all this going on. It will be worth it in the end. If you feel you can, ask vet about paying in instalments, some are really good 'cos they know you love your animals and will pay as soon as poss.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Luckily i have a wellness plan that means the consultation was free and i just paid for the meds :)

Vet doesnt know what she has done either is treating her with Metacam for the swelling and if she doesnt improve on this to take her back and he will give her a course of antibiotics incase its an infection in the joint an do an x-ray to make sure its not anything else. He said he didnt want to go straight to that as she isnt showing any signs of pain from it so things its more likely she bashed it, if the Metcam doesnt work in a week or if she gets any worse then straight back we go.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.