Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

I feel lost without my fluffy friend

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by GHA, Sep 1, 2018.

1. GHA

GHA PetForums Newbie

I have had to put my house bunny to sleep today. She seemed to get ill so quick. On tues i noticed blood in her cage, and although she was eating, drinking and still being her normal self, i called the vet for an appointment as i was concerned. I got one for fri. Due to traffic being so damn heavy here on fri, i could not get to the vet for the time allocated, and they are so busy they could not see her another time that day, so i had to reschedule it for early mon.

She seemed ok yesterday, came for a cuddle, ate her food etc. She was fine this morning, a bit sleepy than normal but still came for fuss. I went out for a few hours and my son called me and said bunny was stuck behind the cupboard. I came home. I got her out ftom the cupboard, she was just so listless. I picked her up in a blanket and she let out the most awful scream, that id never heard before. I took her to the out of hours vet she said she was cold and not responsive as she should be, so said it was time for her to go.

I am so sad and guilty. Was she more ill than i realised? Im missing her coming in and sitting by my feet.

2. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I'm really sorry to hear this.:( Rabbits have such big personalities and form strong bonds with their owners .

Sadly , small pets like rabbits and guinea pigs can go down hill very quickly.

3. GHA

GHA PetForums Newbie

I dont know what the problem was. I keep reading about uterine cancer in female rabbits causing bleeding, but it seems so quick to be that. She was 7.5 years old, good company for me, and apart from the odd chewing of furniture, she was a great pet. The house is so quiet.

4. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Junior

So sorry you lost your girl :(

Was she vaccinated if you're in the UK or Europe? RHD2 can cause all sorts of horrible symptoms, it's not as quick as RHD1, and is really bad this time of year.

5. GHA

GHA PetForums Newbie

Hi, thank you for your reply. She wasnt vaccinated recently but was due for yearly check up soon, but she never went outside ever, so was low risk anyway. Im not sure it was rhd anyway, she didnt have any if those symptoms. Dont think i will ever know. Tbh, im not bothered about knowing why now, i just miss her running to me from the kitchen. She was good company for me.

6. sparkx

sparkx PetForums Junior

Sorry for your loss.

I lost one of my bunnies to RVHD thursday. it was fast and extremely traumatic to watch, same symptoms as yours. She was fine on Tuesday, eating, hopping around, by Tuesday night she was a bit off her food, trying to eat but not really and by the time I got her to the vet 9am Thursday morning she was screaming and she died on the vet table.. I've had them vaccinated for the past 4 years but life got in the way this year and hadn't yet got round to it. I also have a second rabbit here who is now lost, lonely and has an extremely high risk of dying during the next ten days. The guilt feeling will stay with me forever. I wouldn't want any other rabbit owner to go through this. I wasn't that aware that RVHD was so contagious and so awful. It can. E brought in on hay, shoes or just in the air like a common cold to us.

I feel your pain, it’s difficult to come to terms with my guilt that I should have got them vaccinated this year.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice