Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I feel like the worst dog owner ever...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sihaya, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Sihaya

Sihaya PetForums Newbie

It's a horrible horrible thing to say, but am I the only person that has one of those days where you just wish you could give all your dogs back???

I took all four for a walk and had two people go on at me about 'oh you're crazy for having four dogs and i wouldn't do that and blah blah blah'. Then already disheartened I got home and gave all four a bath as they all had a nice swim / paddle (which is no mean feat!).
    I'm exhausted and sometimes I get a bit fed up of taking the puppies out to toilet every hour and tired of training and tired of praising...

Am I awful??? I love them so much but it's hard to keep positive sometimes, especially with 2 four month puppies in the house.

2. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Are the two puppies ones that you have bred or ones that you have purchased as pets?

3. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

Sheesh, two 4month old puppies, I'm not surprised! I feel exhausted at the moment with just one 18month old! I'm knackered from work, have a lot going on in my life that is changing and I can't do my best for her right now and really want a break from it all. I don't think I'm awful, just having a rough time. Be kind to yourself.

4. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

Bred or bought - what does it matter? OP needs support, not a lecture!

5. lotlot

lotlot PetForums VIP

I'm sorry you're struggling. I think we must all have days when we think life might be that little bit easier if we didn't have our dogs. But then you soon realise how much you love them and how they make your life that much more fulfilled.

I've been having some rough days recently with a three year old dog and an 11 week old puppy. I've felt like I've been at the end of my tether, but then they come up to me for a cuddle and its all forgotten.

Dogs are hard work and it seems like you're doing a good job for yours, meaning even more work. Just take each day as it comes and it'll get easier :) the pups will soon grow up and you'll wish for those puppy days again!

6. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I think you're just being human. Try and be kind to yourself, even if it's just something small that makes you feel better :). Tomorrow is another day - that is what I always tell myself when things get on top of me!

7. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

I think you'd have to be superhuman to have dogs and not occasionally wonder why on earth you ever got them or get wistful over what a dog free life would be like.

We all have our bad days and I'll freely admit that when Fitz is demanding to go out every ten minutes, Lyssa is being spectacularly sad for some random reason, Arnie has puked on the carpet and Wybie is chewing the skirting board I often wonder what on earth possessed me to ever get dogs because they're such horrible creatures :blushing:

I certainly don't envy you having two young puppies at the same time, just having one is hard enough.

It's tough to remember in the early days but it does get better. Keep at it and it won't be long before the good bits start outweighing the bad bits!!

8. LeeManchester

LeeManchester PetForums Junior

Everyone has good and bad days. After going on such a lovely walk/swim they'll all be peaceful and snoozing later. Then you will remember the good stuff they bring to our lives.

9. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

I've never had one of those days yet... but Pippa is an angel, sure she had her moments when she was smaller, all pups do... I'm sure I'll be tearing my hair out with Molly JRT as she gets bolder though!!!

10. lilythepink

lilythepink PetForums VIP

I had a bad day one day last week.This week is a whole new ball game.same for you too.

11. redroses2106

redroses2106 PetForums VIP

oh yes, I think anyone who says they haven't is a liar, they will soon grow up and be a little easier though, just stick at it, I don't know if you crate train but if you do maybe pop them in their crates for an hour in the evenings and have some you time :)

12. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

I had two puppies from 8 weeks old he was 12 weeks when the second puppy came along. Not bought they were free to a good home (very early 80s) and a baby.

How you are feeling is normal, it does get easier once the pups are fully housetrain trained and by that time all the additional basic training starts to sit in place too. Hang in there.

Is there anyone who can take over for a few hours during the day? I didn't have anyone first hubby slung his hook - nice one.

You are definitely not the worse dog owner, and as for other people - ignore them most of the time they are only jealous and if not then obviously owning multiple dogs isn't for them.

I would say it does make a difference if you have bred them as opposed to buying them because if they are bred then the chances are they will only be with you on a temporary basis until you find good loving homes for them. I doubt other members meant anything by asking. :)

13. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

The puppy blues are known as "Danny days" in our house ;)
    This photo best sums up his puppyhood...a total brat, normally covered in soil or mud.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...but then the awfulness ends
    [​IMG]

Just got to keep moving towards the light at the end of the tunnel ;).
    Danny had the most awful diarrhoea as a puppy, to the point where I was up and outside with him every hour on the hour, every single night for at least a week.
    It does get better, and then the things that drove everyone to tears become fond memories, and you start to laugh and get puppy broody...:crazy:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice