Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I feel bad for Maximo

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Lottieb01, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Lottieb01

Lottieb01 PetForums Junior

:(

Hi Guys,

I just wants some opinions really.

My Chihauhau x JR Maximo was hit by a car after legging it out of the front door last September. He dislocated his hip and had to have it put back in pace under sedation. He went back for his check up to see if it had stayed in place later that week and it had popped out again :(. He then had surgery to put a pin in place to ensure it stayed in place.

Maximo is all mended now and being his normal bouncey self.

My problem is I have been thinking for a long time about getting Max Castrated as he keeps marking and showing alot of dominance. I feel guilty about putting him hrough another Op if it isnt necessary. He is 3 so is castration going to change his behaviour?, He is a very loving little its mainly the marking that is a problem.

2. Autaven

Autaven PetForums Member

I would always OP for castration and I'm sure the majority of people on the forum would agree with me. Try not to feel bad, you are doing what is best for his health and happiness!

3. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

Bless him....:(
    My sister has a king Charles x and he was terrible for marking, she had him neutered....he's 5 now and is still terrible for marking! So I guess there's no guarantee it will change his weeing habits :confused:

4. Lottieb01

Lottieb01 PetForums Junior

Hmmm its such a tricky situation, just dont know what to do :confused: hes so attached to his brother Leo and hates being without him and also quite clingy to me

5. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

I don't think that an operation at 3 years old is going to change his behaviour.

Yes there may be a hormonal trigger that first caused the 'bad' behaviours, but now they're learnt. Why don't you try training before putting them through another operation? (if you haven't already)

What training do you do on a daily basis?

My other thought is that you could ask your vet about chemical castration. They can do a temporary injection that will give you time to tackle his issues with training...

6. shirleystarr

shirleystarr PetForums VIP

I had the same thing with my male Bichon took 6 months for the hormones to leave and now he dont mark at all and another thing after having one dog die with testical cancer I know get all my dogs done

7. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

I took on a 10yr old x stud dog and he was terrible at scent marking he was castrated and after about a month the markimg stopped dont know if he felt secure in his status here or if the castration stopped it but i would always opt for castration it should stop his urge to mate and it might help with the other problems

8. totallypets

totallypets PetForums Senior

A little cav I look after was neutered last year aged about 6. The next time he came to stay it was quite bizarre. He didn't go round the garden watering everything as usual and the same when out walking - just one very big wee at the beginning and a little one at the end!

9. holyshihtzu

holyshihtzu Guest

we had our dog castrated when he was 4 years old, because he kept on running away off the lead to other female dogs, went missing/escaped two nights on the run had us heart broken, then he was found by a man round the block, he stopped marking all together in the house, he has stopped wanting to run away out the door and also he has stopped being naughty off the lead although now that he is castrated he is nasty towards other dogs who are still in tact

so i would say yes definitely go for the Op, but only if he is humping everything and everyone, or weeing constantly (marking) and being naughty

its entirely up to you i reckon

hope this helped

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice