Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I feel awful..

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nettles, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

We took Phoebe to the beach this afternoon and when we arrived, there was a guy knee deep in the water with a young husky on a really tight lead who looked absolutely terrified! The water was right up to her back and she really wasn't happy at all.

We watched him for a few seconds and he eventually allowed her back out of the water. He walked to the far end of the beach away from us.. then started yanking her about on the lead, pulling her around and then kicked her on the leg. The poor dog yelped and was trying desperately to get away from him so he trailed her around even more. I started walking towards him to tell him to stop when another man called me over.

He said he'd been watching him for half an hour and was really concerned so was on the phone with the non emergency police. He was on hold for ages and when they eventually spoke to him, they told him all they could do would be to make a note of it and pass it on to the council when they open again tomorrow... :Jawdrop Not much use when the poor dog was being abused in front of us and the guy causing the abuse would obviously be gone by tomorrow! We don't have a dog warden here either and our version of the RSPCA - the USPCA don't deal with domestic pets!

The man said before we arrived, he thought the guy was actually going to drown the dog as he was trying to force her to lie down in the water.. so he'd stopped to keep an eye on him. He said once the husky owner realised he was watching him, he just stood in the water with her on a really short lead and only let her back out again when he realised we were also watching him too.

The beach was absolutely packed today and other people had stopped as he kicked her again and was shaking her around by the collar while she was yelping. My OH and the man who rang the police then approached him and told him to stop hurting the dog. He said she was young and stubborn and he was training her to respect him. My OH offered to give him the telephone number of our trainer but he told them both to mind their own business and walked off again, trailing the dog beside him by her collar.

We had no choice but to leave as my OH is visiting my mum in hospital tonight and the other man was also leaving. I feel awful thinking about that poor girl and how scared she was, but I don't know what else we could have done if the police aren't interested :( What a horrible life that poor dog must have..

2. kamikaze

kamikaze PetForums Member

Ugh what a terrible terrible thing to witness :-( Good on you and OH for saying something, but sadly there's not much we can do in these situations when authorities are little help. There a woman who lives next door who will stand on the porch and beat her dog on full display, and she locks him out of the house at night / whenever during the day no matter the weather. Its a covered porch but the poor thing sleeps curled in a tight little ball on the colder nights! We've called authorities multiple times but since its a covered porch and she leaves water out there's nothing we or they can do.

I just hope this guy comes to his senses and either treats her correctly or gets tired of her and rehomes her to someone kinder :(

3. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

That's horrible. But then people are vile sadly.

I have seen some very strange "handling" (if you can call it that!) in my time. Including one woman who for some reason let her reactive/aggressive dog out of her car without a lead and then began chucking rocks at it, presumably to distract it, because "he will go"; go for what? her? me? I remember being completely flabbergasted.

4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

How awful. Can you report it to the dog warden in the morning, if they get reports in from members of the public and also the police, maybe they will be able to identify him and do something? Give Phoebs a bigger cuddle than usual tonight and tell her she is a lucky girl.

Lurcherlad and kamikaze like this.
  5. kamikaze

kamikaze PetForums Member

Huh?? :confused:

6. icklemunch

icklemunch PetForums Senior

Gosh you poor thing having to witness this..

To this day i still think about the poor Lab i saw getting a beating, must of been 8 years ago. I did say something and got a mouthful of abuse for it. I am just glad guns are banned in this country coz i would be dangerous......

Happy Paws2 and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

It sounds like you have done everything you can..but are pretty powerless as most people are in this situation.

Well done for trying to point out the errors of this man's ways...although obviously landing on deaf ears but trying is all you could do. Maybe someone who was near by though heard what was said, and gave them food for thought, quite possible a busy place as you said...people are naturally nosey. So you may have educated someone.

Horrible, and sickening to see, but if you do see this man again and do follow the same procedure lets hope that the police may just may decide to investigate.

Big hugs for not turning a blind eye, many do.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

How absolutely awful, that poor poor dog, must have been dreadful to witness. Big pat on the back to the guy with the phone and Mr Nettles for approaching the man and trying to stop him.

Words are now failing me

9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Very disturbing, but really what else could you do? :(

Hopefully, someone who knows where he lives will be just as concerned and can get the authorities involved if necessary.

I doubt too, he would try to drown a dog on a public beach in day light.

10. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

This is so sad and must have been so hard to witness. Well done you for confronting him. This is why we need more TV shows showing good, positive ways to train and get rid of the CM crap that has probably resulted in a fair few unhappy dogs over the years :(

11. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

I just don't understand why someone gets a dog to then treat it like that :mad: It only occurred to me tonight that maybe I should have rang the police too. Maybe another call might have meant they acted on it. Too late now though :(

@kamikaze, I'm hoping he gets tired of her too and she ends up rehomed with someone who treats her properly.

@labradrk, I'm lost for words :( Disgusting!

@JoanneF we don't have a dog warden here. The local council deal with domestic pet welfare, but the last time I expressed concern about a dog left outside 24/7 with no shelter, it took 3 weeks for anyone to get back to me to ask for details.. apparently there is only one person in our area who deals with animal welfare o_O

@icklemunch, I'm not surprised you haven't forgotten. I think it'll be a long, long time before I forget the fear in that poor girls body language and the sound of her scared yelps :Arghh

@lullabydream, it definitely fell on deaf ears as he had no interest whatsoever in getting details for our trainer :( Hopefully he'll mull it over when he gets home and realises what he was doing was appalling.

@Siskin, it was truly awful to see. We were undecided about whether to go to the beach or the park today.. Really wish we'd gone to the park!

@Lurcherlad, I didn't think he would have tried to drown her either tbh as the beach was really busy, but I can understand why the man would have thought something sinister was going on. The husky owner was behaving really oddly and seemed like he was up to something other than "walking" or "training" his dog. He seemed to be lingering in one place and dragging the dog from side to side and back and forward, but not actually going anywhere.

@Sairy, my OH said when he spoke to him, he got the impression he was doing the whole "domination" CM approach rather than intentionally abusing her for no reason.. Not that that makes it any better of course!

12. leashedForLife

my suggestion is always, Document, document, document.
    GET IT ON VIDEO - & take it to the authorities. Snap a photo of the car & be sure to get the plates for I.D.
    Just describing someone can't be enuf; they could be transient, a tourist, or a "trainer" from a completely different home area.
    Narrow it down, make them 'findable'.

LinznMilly, Burrowzig and Lurcherlad like this.
  13. jamat

jamat PetForums VIP

was out walking yesterday morning with the cavachon crew when we came upon a child and mother walking their cavapoo lovely young thing but very hyper. it was wonting the girl ( about 9 years old) to through the ball for it so was jumping all over the place.

The girl meanwhile had spotted three white fluffy thing coming towards her and wanted to come over and stroke them. She crouched down and her own dog jumped up at her as she still had the ball in her hand and it knocked her on the head - not hard but it still put her on her bum.

The girls mother grabbed their dog and soundly slapped it across the face telling it off.....My two friends were gob smacked as was I but I couldn't keep quiet and had a go at her. Her reply was "he needs to learn"

"Learn through fear isn't the way to do it" I replied and suggested next time her daughter throw the ball to keep their exited dog happy before she approaches other dogs to say hello.

Meanwhile her dog was twisting and turning trying to get away from her and believe it or not she slapped him again. before letting him go.

When the girl had fallen over she had dropped the ball and while was trying to talk some sense into the woman one of my friends had picked it up and when she let the dog go he throw it across the park for it to chase ..... she gave him a dirty looked called her daughter and they walked off after their dog....

After my friend said he throw the ball to get the dog away from her for a few moments as he looked so distressed...... As it was a Sunday we knew thee would be no dog wardens on duty otherwise we'd have called them at the time

Some people don't deserve to be dog owners

14. rona

rona Still missing my boys

This is one of the reasons I try and walk away from highly used dog walk areas. I can't bare to watch how so many treat their dogs :(
    It's even worse if you go during the week and watch the so called professionals walking dogs :Arghh

Lurcherlad likes this.
  15. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

The man who phoned the police took some videos of him hauling the dog around, but he was that far away, I doubt you could see much detail let alone be able to identify him. Plus with so many cars in the carpark, any one of them could have been his. Or he might have walked there and not even have a car. I did hope he'd come back to the carpark and get into a car while we were still there so I could pass the reg number onto police, but when we had to leave, he was still just standing in the same spot he'd moved to after walking away from my OH :(

That's exactly it.. some people just don't deserve dogs! :(

I usually see the other extreme where people have no control over their dogs and just let them run riot and do as they please. That's one of the reasons we go to the beach so often as most dogs don't bother Phoebe as she spends all her time in the water. That's the first time I've seen someone treat their dog like that.. and hopefully it's the last time too :(

leashedForLife likes this.
  16. Moobli

Moobli PetForums VIP

Poor dog. Sadly there is little the police can do and often, as your OH found out, intervention often ends in a mouthful of abuse. Hopefully the words may well have sunk in though and he may (miracles can happen!) go home and think about the error of his ways and how he can do things differently.

Nettles and Lurcherlad like this.
  17. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

So if the USPCA doesn't cover domestic animals, who deals with cruelty against pets?

18. rona

rona Still missing my boys

No one, they haven't had proper protection for the whole 60 year of my life and it's no different now.
    It's a possession and you can bash it up as much as you like as long as you don't break it's bones or cut it's skin :mad:

19. Mercgirl

Mercgirl PetForums Member

Oh Nettles, what a truly horrible thing for you to have to witness.

I don't know what I would have done in the same situation. Probably have marched over, given him what for and ended up getting thumped.....but at least then the police probably would turn up, as assaulting a human is more important than assaulting a dog.

The law sucks.

Nettles likes this.
  20. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry you had to wittness such cruelty, but there really wasn't anything else you could have done.

Last week OH was out with Dillon and he saw a girl about 9 and a boy about 14 with a Lhasa Apso, when they saw Dillon they hurried away, but the little dog keeped looking back at Dillon and wouldn't walk so the girl who had the Flexi lead hit the dog with the plastic handle of the lead cross it's back, OH shouted at her, then the boy said something back to OH, who then told him what she'd done, He took the lead off her, said something to her and they ran away..... Makes you wonder many more time this little dog gets hit when it doesn't do what she wants.:(

Nettles likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice