Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I feel aweful

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Kammie, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Last night when putting the buns to bed I found Daisy's back covered in fly eggs, now I'd checked all the rabbits in the morning and all were clean but I had to go out for most of the day for work so couldn't check them throughout the day. Went out to put them all to bed and check them all over again at around 9, Charlie and Rosie were clean not a sign of anything on them but Daisy was covered with fly eggs all over her back, luckily none were on her private bits. I found my vets emergancy number straight away to see if it was a good idea to take her in as emergancy since I was thinking the worse and panicking. The lady I spoke to said as long as I see nothing moving she'll be ok and to take her to the normal vet in the morning. Nothing was moving on her it was still eggs so I used an old nit comb to go through every inch of her removing as much as I could and kept her indoors with me last night so I could keep a close on her in case anything hatched in the night. Luckily nothing did and I went over her again this morning with the nit comb to be safe. Phoned the vets as well to try and book her in as early as possible but was told they have a lot of big ops today and they'd blocked of the only morning appointments left for this reason so the only time I could get was 5.50. So now I have to wait all day worrying in case I missed an egg and it hatches.

I feel so bad I've never had this problem before and I always thought it was neglected and dirty rabbits that had this happen. I clean all the hutches out every day with the heat we've had and check the buns twice a day for any stuck poo and dirt. I use a fly guard spray from [email protected] but that obviously doesn't work. All I can think of that could have caused this is that she's rolled in something and I've not noticed or my boyfriends dog has pee'd on her which I think is unlikely. I mean the eggs were only on her back there wasn't any underneath her. I'm just so scared now that I've not looked after her properly to make this happen.

2. frags

frags PetForums VIP

oh hun its not your fault you have done everything in your power to prevent fly strike.
    hopefully you got them all out and she will be fine.
    keep us updated on the little love.
    good luck huni and no blaiming yourself!!!

3. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Thanks Frags, the panic of seeing all those eggs and the thought she'd be eaten alive just scared me and to think everywhere I've read that it only happened to rabbits in dirty conditions. Will keep you updated and let you know how she is after she's seen the vet.

4. frags

frags PetForums VIP

unfortunatly flystrike cant be 100% prevented even the most cleanest buns can get it regardless of what is used on them.
    i can imagine the horror of finding the eggs on her, i would too be mortified.

5. Lumpy

Lumpy PetForums Senior

I've had a bunny have flystrike - and it was only an hour and a half after I had last checked her! She was fine as I caught it so early, removed everything I could see and then took her to the vet.

I was really upset blaming myself but the vet said it can happen in well cared for buns if they have teeth problems (as this bun did) and can't clean themselves properly or if they are elderly and don't groom that well.

I use rearguard now and have never had a problem with flystrike since using it. Have never tried fly guard.

It's scary how quickly the eggs hatch though, especially in really hot weather.

I hope Daisy makes a full recovery.

6. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

OOh that must have horrible for you..:(

its a really horrible thing in rabbits ..i check mine all the time.. but as said it can happen to anyone..:( Flys!!!! i hate them..

7. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

Luckily I have never had it on a rabbit but we did have it on a cat we had. We had gone away for the weekend and my brother (he was about 18 at the time) was looking after the house, cat and dog with help from nan and gramps who live next door but one. We got a phone call to say that pippa was crying in agony and they had rang the vets to take her, within the hour she had maggots coming out of her skin and every other part of her body. The vet put her to sleep straight away. The vet said that it was unlikely that she had got them thru being dirty, that she most likely ate something with fly eggs on it or caught a fly and swallowed it. I am very glad it is something I didnt have to see, but still not a nice situation.

*Heidi*

8. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

The flies at the moment are so bad and it is really hard to keep them at bay.
    It could be that she had a small wet patch on her and the flies were attracted to this.It doesn't necessarily have to be dirty.
    You are doing all you can and you have found them quickly and monitoring her carefully.
    There is nothing more you could have done so please don't blame yourself.
    Good luck at the vets and let us know how you get on xx

9. frags

frags PetForums VIP

any updates hun? is she ok?

10. cocoboda

cocoboda PetForums Member

Scosha37 said : its a really horrible thing in rabbits ..i check mine all the time.. but as said it can happen to anyone..:( Flys!!!! i hate them

I've a very sad story to share with all about blasted flystrike :( It's a bit long
    I hadn't mentioned this to any of you on this forum before but,
    my first bun Jet (a beautiful 4 year old jet black lop) died from fly strike, I'm not really sure how he got it, being indoors all the time, but he did have runny poops the night before, which I noticed and had washed his bottom with a damp paper towel, and he then was playing ad such as normal, after a few hours of trying to clean him up and playing with him I went off to bed I neglected to take him to the vets in the morning thinking he was just still a bit dirty or something and I thought since I had to work that day that I would take him on my next day off, but I came home to find him laying in his pen not moving and I picked him up, he had been infested with fly eggs and such, kissed him on his nose and said goodbye, I was crying and crying and extemely depressed and miserable that this would happen to my baby, and thought to myself I would never live it down and should NEVER own another bun, but after a long time of wallowing in my neglect, or stupidity, and knowing I coudn't be without a bun in my life I went to local shelter and found my new love, Coco
    sorry to make everyone sad but I just wanted to share with you all that it doesn't take a lot of time for things to escalate on these little sweeties, Pleease don't hesitate to get prompt attention no matter how small the problem may be, Thanks for letting me vent on this you guys
    btw Coco is doing fine she is getting on in age now but still acts like a teen LOL

#10 cocoboda, Jul 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  11. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Good news after taking her to the vet yesterday afternoon, the vet reassured me that Daisy is perfectly healthy and was slightly confused as to how she managed to get flies laying eggs onher but anyway it had happened and was not yet classed as flystrike as nothing had hatched thank god. The vet gave me some stuff called Xennex spot on designed for small pets but is toxic to cats. I have to use this every two weeks as a flea treatment kind of thing that works against mites, fleas and flies. Just have to keep her away from the other two rabbits and not touch her for half an hour now. Had to go and pick the stuff up this morning as they didn't have it in stock and had to order it in for me, I've now put it on her and waiting the half hour till she can be let out of her run with the other two.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and concerns.

12. frags

frags PetForums VIP

i am soooooooooooo pleased all was ok give her a big hug from all here x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice